This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of the problem

Last night they put up chain controls all over the sierras. I raced up to work as quickly as I could because I knew what a friday night chain control was going to be like. Sure enough when I get there, my mother-in-law had a line over over 20 people that was reaching out the door.

I jump in just as she's dealing with this jerk who wanted to split up the cost between him and a couple of friends. They had her so turned around, I'm about to take over when he sees an amount she has on the register that happened to be wrong:

SC: "That's wrong"
    MIL: "......" (trying to figure out the ridiculous way he wants to split this up)
    SC: "No you really screwed up, you need to....."

Me: "Ok, you're making this complicated and I'd suggest you take a look around you and see what we're all dealing with here. I wouldn't start criticizing anything if I were you"

That shut him up, especially when I told my MIL that I hope everyone is listening to the reason for the delay. I mean really, we have one register and one credit card machine. I finally get him to simply put the chains on one card and the install on the other.

Also had to deal with people who have wannabe 4WD's. They aren't 4WD so they can't get past the control without chains but their cars have the 4WD tires which require the larger and more expensive chains. More than one wanted to stand there, again..long line of people, and argue price.
    More than once I ignored the ranting, turned to the next person and asked if they were ready. Then I made the ones who wanted to argue get in the back of the line and start over if they decided they wanted to buy chains. I didn't have time to accomodate their whining and as busy as we were I certainly didn't need them.

(bad, bad night lots of pent up anger going on here)

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Chain control? Please explain...I mean, I have a vague idea...but just want to know what that entails.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

The State puts up checkpoints and requires tire chains in certain weather. California has manned controls where you're forced to comply or be ticketed if you're caught inside a control without them.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
      ~Clerks

Comment

Love

I just love the idea of the looks someone will get from the others in line when it is pointed out to EVERYBODY that they are the one holding things up.

Plus, when you have a line-up going out the door and more customers that you can serve, the comment from SCs that "I'll take my business elsewhere." holds no threat to you in any form, plus it sounds like everyone else who does chains installation is probably up to their eyeballs in customers already and any new ones still end up at the back of the line.

Comment

Me: "Ok, you're making this complicated and I'd suggest you take a look around you and see what we're all dealing with here. I wouldn't start criticizing anything if I were you"
          Ah, the joys of owning the business! Good for you
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Good for you!
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I have driven through snowy mountains only a couple times but even I (BIG I) I know that snow chains are required. Hells Bells that signs are along side the road for miles and miles before the cut off point. I gott bet the regular drivers along those routes know the rules.

Next time use your ball point pen to help the tire pressure on their tires. Oh look your tire is flat.
              SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Yes, and those damned chains are a bitch to get on if you don't know what you're doing.

Which is why the few times I had to drive with chains, I was grateful for the help. I've seen jerko SCs like the ones you've described cry that they chains they put on came off. Well, gee, I wonder why? Maybe because you weren't frickin' patient enough to wait?

From someone who used to live in California, thank you.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Working...
                X