This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We didn't have bags today...

I swear. When you don't have regular grocery bags, people get vicious. Like, neglected-and-abused-Rottweiler-with-a-stranger-over-the-last-piece-of-kibble vicious. Last December, I worked ten-hour days telling people we were out of Christmas doodads, and I didn't deal with as many nasty people in a week as I had in the first hour today.

We had a few giant sized plastic bags. Like, big enough to cover a Labrador. And we had paper bags. Not big grocery sacks. The kind you use to brown bag your lunch to work. The kind you make puppets out of. And, every now and again, we uncovered a few stray plastic grocery bags. I tried to make them last, but people were offended by the mere suggestion of using anything but regular grocery bags.

You have a few greeting cards? They'd fit in a paper bag. Hell, they'd fit in your purse. Nope. Need a grocery bag. Buying one small item? Well, fuck you for even suggesting I carry it out myself like a barbarian! And I don't want a paper bag! I want a big Labrador bag! And you'd better double-bag my one thing of marshmallows, I'm taking the bus home! And the next person needs everything in a separate bag because she's buying for different people! No, I can't sort it out later! ONE ITEM PER BAG! DOUBLE BAG! BROWN BAGS ARE FOR TERRORISTS! One woman wouldn't leave without a bag because "she needed it for recycling." Well guess what, Skipper, we sell bags for that. You can get like fifty of them for a dollar. No, no, need a free bag.

I swear, they could not have been more demanding of these bags if the Russians had just launched the nukes, and those bags were their only ticket into the fallout shelter. And would protect them from radiation. I'm serious.

I have no idea why the bags set them off. Usually at their worst, they're stupid and oblivious but generally polite. And it's not like I haven't dealt with my fair share of angry people. Fuck, I worked at Disney World on Christmas. That's the busiest, highest-tension thing I can think of, and I worked it. But the bags? They broke me. I actually cried because these people and their bags... their bags, man. What is up with the bags? Why are you willing to go to war over bags? THEY'RE JUST BAGS. THEY CAN'T LOVE YOU.

I mean, I understand not wanting to carry your stuff out raw. I can understand not wanting to pay an extra dollar for a reusable bag. I can understand needing a bag, even if it doesn't look like you do. I really do. You're taking the bus. You have arthritis. I believe you. I can't see that. But to go nuts at me for just asking if you need one, as we're extremely limited? A simple, "No, sorry, I need one." That's it. I understand. I was just suggesting it, in case you didn't realize we were running out of bags. Some people are actually nice and understanding. Most give a nasty, "Well, that's not MY problem!" Lady, don't take that tone with me or I will MAKE it your problem. You wanna go? I'll meet you out in the parking lot, we'll go.

And when we are actually OUT of regular bags, no amount of shouting, whining, or pleading will make bags happen. I understand that. You know that feeling where, right after someone you love dies, if you just go to their house, just look at their favorite chair, they'll be sitting there, smiling and laughing? Asking you why you look so down? That's how I feel about bags. That if I just look under the counter one more time, there'll be a secret cache. But there's not. And your grandmother is never coming back to life. So stop yelling at me.

They are just bags. It's not worth getting upset about.

And you, with the nasty ass attitude? You're not worth getting upset about, either. You will not break me again. I will not let you.

Oh, and speaking of limited resources? DO NOT PAY FOR TWO DOLLARS WORTH OF CRAP WITH A ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL. Just... just don't. Get change. Please. It's not worth it's own thread, just... damn. Twice in an hour.
    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Our store gets a finite amount of plastic bags per week, and if we run out, we have to resort solely to paper bags (and vice versa). Sometimes, customers are understanding, but all it takes is one really nasty one to ruin your day. Maybe if customers didn't insist of double-bagging everything or else they "forgot my reusable bags in the car!", we'd HAVE enough bags to last through the week.

Comment

goodness if we ever ran out of bags at the Dollar Admiral, the old ladies would go BSC if they didn't have anything to put their fifty cent greeting card in

Comment

She needed a bag for recycling? What?

Does that mean she has to put her items for recycling into....a plastic bag?

It's late, I'm tired, I'm missing something here... what?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

People suck. Your writing style, however, is awesome
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Sounds like you had plenty of bags....

Douchebags........

Thank you! You've been a wonderful audience!

And I purposely tell baggers to go extra-heavy with mine, you don't need to bag the prep food separate from the non-perishables, or the toothpaste separate from produce (what? is it toxic or something? It's going IN MY MOUTH people) but I know every time the insist on giving me that unnecessary extra bag is because some crotchety old fart went ballistic on them the one day they put the toothpicks in with the shaving cream........
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I just don't get people and their plastic bags. Serious. Our town banned them a few years ago, so no more free bags here. There was some complaining at first but, funny thing... Life went on.

I guess I can see if you assumed the store had bags, maybe being a little put out. Still, it's not like throwing a fit will make the bags appear... And "it's not my problem" is a terrible attitude, I won't even go into how much I hate that phrase. Suffice to say, I'd like to take all people who feel like that and send them to live on an island with each other until they all starve because food was "not my problem."
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Welcome to my life as well.

You're an under 18 guy buying a pack of condoms on a Friday night - I get it, you need a bag <wink wink, good luck!> You're riding the bus, even if it's just two items? I get it, you need a bag.

But my :deity: you're buying a pack of gum which you open in front of me? You do NOT need a bag!!!!!!!

<le sigh>

Love your writing, by the way!

Comment

Oh, customers and their damn bags! Believe it or not, the worst incidents mainly came from me asking the question "Do you need a bag?" It was sometimes met with "Are you STUPID? Of course I need a bag!" or "Well yeah duh" or "What kind of stupid question is that?" or "No I'm just gonna carry this stuff on the top of my head!"

Uh... just a "Yes please" or "No thanks" will do.

Comment

I hate people and their bags. In no particular order here's what I get

-The "Just a little bag" people. Don't have "little bags"
                    -The "I need a bag to leave the store" people. Mostly little old ladies
                    -The "I need a bag or I might lose it" people. Mostly women with extra large purses.

Okay, maybe not as many as I thought, though I could probably think of more if I tried. Every so often we run out of t-shirt size bags (normal size) and have to use up the big ones.

One girl I used to work with said she didn't give people a choice and just used the big ones and she said people's eyes would get wide when she'd give them their purchase in the large bag. Sure enough I started doing that and sure enough I get the wide eyed look. I don't do it for everyone and if there's a smaller order I will ask but for a regular larger size order. You get the bag I give you.
                    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I can remember one customer. She purchased wrapping paper. I informed her that we didn't have any bags large enough or long enough to fit the wrapping paper into. She grumbled and moaned. She also bought some really small item that could fit inside one of our thin plastic bags that was just slightly bigger than my hand. I asked her if she'd like one for the small item. She said, "I thought you said you didn't have any bags!!!" like someone demented. She left very unhappy.

Comment

I went shopping for a couple of snacks last week while out with friends. I was wearing my voluminous parka with a million pockets, and carrying a satchel, and nothing I bought was destined to last more than 10 minutes. Poor shell shocked cashier still had to check 3 times before being reassured that I really genuinely did not want or need a carrier bag. Poor thing; I'm so glad we don't have that kind of hassle here!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          I just don't get people and their plastic bags. Serious. Our town banned them a few years ago, so no more free bags here. There was some complaining at first but, funny thing... Life went on.
                          Our town banned the plastic bags two years ago, and people still haven't figured out that they're supposed to bring their own in! I mean, the bag ban was all over the news for months, warning people that stores would stop carrying plastic bags on X date and charge 5ยข for paper bags. And they remember their reusable bags for the grocery stores, but not for non-grocery stores. And of course, who gets yelled at because of it? Not the people who made and passed the law, but the poor schnooks on the cash registers who had nothing to do with it and no power to do anything about it.
                          Last edited by XCashier; 02-05-2015, 04:37 PM.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We've had the ban for just over a full year, and some people still act shocked. We stopped the reusable bag credit long before that (IMO when the ban went into effect we should have reinstated the credit) and people still don't get that either.

Every so often we run out of our weekly paper bag allotment; some of the hissyfits I've seen are epic. Know why we ran out? Because of the idjits who want double large paper for one box of kleenex when a single smaller non-handled bag (or no bag) will do. Or the people who have reusable bags (and I can see them in their cart) but don't let the cashier/bagger know or insist on paper anyway. In those cases I feel we would be justified in then charging per bag.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Every now and then I go into the chemist and I get one box of something. It's normally a box of pills, so it would fit on my hand with nothing hanging over the edges. I have a large backpack with many zippers and pockets, so normally I just put the box of pills in the front pocket. As well I am very large. 1.9 M tall (well over 6 feet) and from years of lifting large boxes of parts and hauling on anchor ropes when I had a boat I have arms bigger than most peoples thighs. Not to mention 4 years of karate training.

Every now and then a new girl will ask "Do you want a bag for that?"
                              My reply always is "No thanks, I'll try to struggle out with it like that." and grin at them. Every one of them has never asked again.

Comment

Working...
                              X