This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my Fellow Children of the '80's

So FMA_Fanatic and I have been watching the new ThunderCats cartoon currently showing on Cartoon Network.Its really not that bad. She geeked out when she realized that the old Lion-o was playing Claudius (the new Lion-o's Father) but I had my own geek out moment tonight.

The Episode entitled Legacy, When Mumm-Ra and Leo are talking, in the background there was a familiar face on the monitor screen. It was None other then Mon*Starr from SilverHawks!

I recognized him instantly!

Yes I am an '80's Child, and Proud of it.
    Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
    Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
    Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

I really like the new series. And I hadn't noticed that. Cool I have that episode on my DVR. Will look for it
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Dangit, now I'm going to have to find a way to watch it (we don't have any sort of TV subscriptions).
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

thunder...Thunder...THUNDER....CATS!!!! HOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Yes, I admit I geeked out. It's pretty cool that they got him to do a voice.

It makes me wish and hope that they'll give Silverhawks the same treatment.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Bring back He-Man, and I'm on board!
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

They did in 2002. IMO, it was terrible.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Love the Thundercats , Panthro was my favorite. Parts of me are still waiting to see if Snarf will start talking.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                  They did in 2002. IMO, it was terrible.
                  Agreed. As a long-time fan of the original, I hated the new He-Man. Glad to see that it apparently didn't last long.

The new Thundercats, though, I find to be highly impressive in several ways. The animation is beautiful, the voice acting is (IMO) spot on, and it feels kinda like a throwback to what action-adventure cartoons were like several years ago (i.e. during the time of Gargoyles, Batman The Animated Series, etc)- Occasionally *very* violent and definitely not afraid to go a bit darker than the average cartoon every now and again.
                  "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

My only issue with it is they basically retcon the whole thing. It's still good though.
                    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                      My only issue with it is they basically retcon the whole thing. It's still good though.
                      Can you expand on that?
                      To me (only having seen the first episode so far), it struck me as being set at least three to four hundred years in the future from the cartoon of the 80s. Long enough for the cats to get established and lose their history as refugees/colonists into the distant past.

Or will there be something in a future episode that will throw this perception right out the window?

Comment

I will PM you so as not to post any spoilers. I will say besides the names of the people (liono, cheetara, etc) very little is even close to similar to the original
                        Last edited by Mytical; 09-06-2011, 10:40 PM.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've also been very impressed - and this is coming from someone who tried to watch the original series way back when, and couldn't get into it...

There's been a lot of '80s 'toon remakes lately - Transformers Prime, Voltron Force, and G.I. Joe:Renegades, all very well done IMO.

Comment

Most remakes are Retconned to one degree or another. If they were just going to make the EXACT SAME SHOW it wouldn't fly. You need to update for animation style, audience, voice talent, and much more.

The show has the same basic Concept IE Mumm-Ra wants the Sword of Omens, ThunderCats fight to protect it. But now taking inspiration from other shows (Can anyone else see a bit of Avatar: Last Airbender?) they are now on a quest. allowing them to have a reason to explore other then "Oh My Mumm-Ra is doing something over there, we have to stop him"

Yes, There are other aspects that seem very 21st century, but the times have changed from the 80's. Its no longer Us vs Them like it was (US vs. USSR) but now consensus building is the desired norm. It is a bit plot hammery (for lack of a better term) but it is what the times are about.
                            Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                            Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                            Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

LOVE the new Thundercats remake! I was a semi-fan back in the day (I was a bit young to really fully love it)

I must admit though...I think that the new Snarf is SO MUCH BETTER! I like that he's more like Momo from Avatar.
                              Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Working...
                              X