This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job, New Bar!

Wait, after five and a half years, am I really leaving The Bar?

Oh, hell no!

I will still be working my regular full-time shifts there. That is still my main job, and will be until they fire me or I move back to Phoenix, whichever comes first.

However, as some of you may remember, a few months ago, one of my magic gigs vanished. So I've been kinda thinking I need to replace it so I can replace the lost income I've been missing since that happened.

Anyway, the owner of The Bar is opening up a new place in town, and our GM and Head Chef are leading the charge. Which means they're completely overworked, but that's another story. In any case, they gave several of us at The Bar the option of joining the team at The New Bar, and I figured, what the hell?

And when The New Bar's manager asked me what shift I would want (I am only going to be there one a week, just as I was doing with the magic gig), I asked for Wednesday nights, same as the magic gig. Unfortunately, they didn't have that available, so they gave me the option of Saturday days. Which initially I balked at, as that would mean I'd be working six days a week again, something I really didn't want to do, but then my brain kicked me in the ass and pointed out the fact that if I get in the door now, it probably won't be too long until I can get that shift that I want.

So today was orientation, and it was entertaining. The menu looks great. And I say that with a small bit of pride, since I proof read it for the Chef, and found about a hundred or so minor things that needed fixing, and it looks like he took my notes seriously. And the actual menu, i.e., the food looks awesome, as Chef's been running specials the last few weeks at The Bar that were basically menu items that will be featured at The New Bar.

And I realized that, while I've been in the restaurant industry for 26 years now, this will be the very first establishment that I open. I've never been part of an opening staff before. This is kinda cool. And should be very, very interesting. I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories from it, too.

And after some careful thought, to avoid confusion, I am not going to call the new place "The New Bar," since I call the established place "The Bar." Nope. I'll be calling the new place "The Q." Yes, that makes far more sense.

This is gonna be fun!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Yay! Congrats.! Will you be doing any magic there?

Now, if only I could get to the Keys.....I'm in need of a good drink.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post

Sounds good ...

And I should stop off in Pennsylvania on the way down to pick you up, I want some warm water, I am tired of the cold nasty rain here.

Who else for this fantasy road trip, I got a 7 seat mom-van ...

[really, I wish I could afford it. Although the room we stayed at in Key West did have 4 beds, 2 of them doubles. I think it was like $400 a night...]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        Who else for this fantasy road trip, I got a 7 seat mom-van ...
        I wanna come too! You can stop off in the UK on the way down, yes? It's only a minor detour...
        I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth houdini View Post
          I wanna come too! You can stop off in the UK on the way down, yes? It's only a minor detour...
          I wish ... you think if I paint it blue and call it a tardis I can jump through space and time?

Though I do want to take a couple weeks in England [mainly, with perhaps a hop up to Scotland if we can fit it in] sometime in the next couple years. It needs to get into line behind Bucharest, Oslo and Copenhagen though *sigh* I need to stop playing EVE with europeans, our vacation budget is screaming in pain!
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            And after some careful thought, to avoid confusion, I am not going to call the new place "The New Bar," since I call the established place "The Bar." Nope. I'll be calling the new place "The Q." Yes, that makes far more sense.
            So.... it's a B-line from one to the other?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              I'll be bartending there, and hopefully will be far too busy to be able to do magic.

[really, I wish I could afford it. Although the room we stayed at in Key West did have 4 beds, 2 of them doubles. I think it was like $400 a night...]
              Wait, what? Not the room I remember. Or are you talking about a different trip?

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              So.... it's a B-line from one to the other?
              I....don't get this.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I....don't get this.
                Your main place is The Bar. Your new place is Q. Put the B between the two.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Wait, what? Not the room I remember. Or are you talking about a different trip?
                  Yup, 2 doubles in the bedroom and 2 singles in the front room. Really a killer deal for $400. Microscopic bathroom though, you can brush your teeth and wash your face sitting on the toilet. I used the sink and door knob as grab bars. The walking distance to sushi is well worth it though.

I don't think you made it into the back bedroom though, we cleared out pretty quickly.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post

Technically he does magic every day. Be it in the form of drinks or tricks.

Comment

Yup, 2 doubles in the bedroom and 2 singles in the front room. Really a killer deal for $400. Microscopic bathroom though, you can brush your teeth and wash your face sitting on the toilet. I used the sink and door knob as grab bars. The walking distance to sushi is well worth it though.

I don't think you made it into the back bedroom though, we cleared out pretty quickly.
                      Fair enough. But I dare say you could have found a room in town for less than that. For some reason, I thought you were paying a lot less than that.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Fair enough. But I dare say you could have found a room in town for less than that. For some reason, I thought you were paying a lot less than that.
                        Well, we saw rooms running from $380 over by the NAS to $500+, and this one was pretty much between your bar and the sushi place. Well, one place for 200 but we would probably had to share it with bedbugs... and this place looked *really* appealing in the pictures, and it had a microkitchen, and it was really gemütlich. In a pinch other than the bathroom I could have used my chair inside to get around.

Comment

I'm up for that trip. Right now a beach, a palm tree, and a glass of some good rum sounds like utter heaven.

Pick me up on your way down, willya? I'll be the one standing on the corner waving
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            I'll be the one standing on the corner waving
                            "Standing on a corner on the eastern Atlantic seaboard,
                            Rocking out in her vacation best,
                            It's MoonCat, my my,
                            Waiting for a ride,
                            Heading down to party in Key West."

Still A Customer."

Comment

Congratulations Jester! I can't wait to start hearing stories about The Q.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Your main place is The Bar. Your new place is Q. Put the B between the two.

^-.-^
                              HEHE
                              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X