This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    The payment options didn't include Amex. The caller couldn't get this through his head, and couldn't read the online payment site options.
    Ah... As simple as that. I was looking for the deep. hidden meaning... Ta!

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
      Ah... As simple as that. I was looking for the deep. hidden meaning... Ta!
      Don't you mean: "Dao!"?
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Now I'm getting the callers that have already screamed at 3 of my coworkers for 10 minutes before even reaching me. >.>

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
          Now I'm getting the callers that have already screamed at 3 of my coworkers for 10 minutes before even reaching me. >.>
          FUN!

So now you're the guy that you used to send the worst callers to. I am sure you relish the opportunity to make their day better, huh? By the way, with this promotion to management, did you also get a commensurate pay raise?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

*tears of laughter*

I am very much looking forward to your manager threads.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              So now you're the guy that you used to send the worst callers to. I am sure you relish the opportunity to make their day better, huh? By the way, with this promotion to management, did you also get a commensurate pay raise?
              A small one. I'm only doing it on and off, though I'm sure they'd like me to do it more often. Normally though now, I'm working from home. Something I couldn't do before due to working overnight. Its a change I'm rather enjoying. Its much easier to put up with an irate caller when you're talking to them in your underwear.

Comment

Its much easier to put up with an irate caller when you're talking to them in your underwear.
                Also much easier to change underwear after venting about said caller...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Its much easier to put up with an irate caller when you're talking to them in your underwear.
                  You do realise that most of them are going to be in their underwear as usual?

Rapscallion

Comment

GK - do they at least let you hang up on these people? >_<

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                    The sales pitch for AMEX back in the day was that *everywhere* took it.
                    Quoth Teskeria View Post
                    You know those commercials that say 'bring your visa they don't take amex'?
                    Yeah, Visa got plenty of mileage out of those "...And they DON'T take American Express" commercials.

It is my understanding, however, that AMEX is unpopular (especially among smaller merchants) to this day due to their (allegedly) charging higher per-transaction rates than the other guys (around double), and being reaalllly slooooww to pay their merchants the money they're owed (while demanding that THEIR customers pay up, in full, pronto... or else). I had heard that many European shops refuse to deal with them at all, but I cannot confirm this; I've heard the occasional horror story about AMEX taking as long as six MONTHS to pay a foreign merchant money that they should have had much sooner.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      GK - do they at least let you hang up on these people? >_<

Yeah, Visa got plenty of mileage out of those "...And they DON'T take American Express" commercials.

It is my understanding, however, that AMEX is unpopular (especially among smaller merchants) to this day due to their (allegedly) charging higher per-transaction rates than the other guys (around double), and being reaalllly slooooww to pay their merchants the money they're owed (while demanding that THEIR customers pay up, in full, pronto... or else). I had heard that many European shops refuse to deal with them at all, but I cannot confirm this; I've heard the occasional horror story about AMEX taking as long as six MONTHS to pay a foreign merchant money that they should have had much sooner.
                      The big guys are normally ok to take it as they can negotiate the deals due to higher usage amounts. However the small guys don't take it often in the UK. One told me they wanted to charge him double what Visa wanted per transaction and he just couldn't take the hit. I'd say we do about 50% of our household charges on it a month though. (And we get nectar points on it too).
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Al has an Amex pre-paid credit card type thing called a Bluebird. It's great, low fees, etc.

Until he pays at the pump.

Twice now -- once through his first time prepaying at the pump, once through mine, his ENTIRE FUCKING ACCOUNT has been totally DRAINED.

I wonder why no one wants to accept Amex?
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          I had heard that many European shops refuse to deal with them at all, but I cannot confirm this; I've heard the occasional horror story about AMEX taking as long as six MONTHS to pay a foreign merchant money that they should have had much sooner.
                          Over here the limit is 3 months (government laws) and it goes for ALL credit cards. Though, as apparently everywhere else, VISA payments go through quicker than, say, MasterCard or Amex. And actually, as of May 2012, "ordinary" consumers cannot get an Amex card over here, though they may apply for a Platinum card if they are eligible.

(Needless to say that I have a VISA debit card? )

EDITED TO ADD: Of course, that also depends on which merchant bank is used. Most brick-and-mortar places uses DIBS/Teller (which is a Scandinavian corporation), whereas some online stores either use Pensio (based in Germany) or simply go with the Paypal option.
                          Last edited by NorthernZel; 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                            Al has an Amex pre-paid credit card type thing called a Bluebird. It's great, low fees, etc.

Until he pays at the pump.

Twice now -- once through his first time prepaying at the pump, once through mine, his ENTIRE FUCKING ACCOUNT has been totally DRAINED.

I wonder why no one wants to accept Amex?
                            Surprise level zero. I've been wondering just how awful that card would be ever since we first started promoting it.
                            » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

At our bank, when you have a line of credit, they issue you either a VISA or an AMEX card. We opted for AMEX because it gives us 4X airmiles when we use it for groceries, only to find that none of the stores we shop at accept it. There is one that does but it's so damned expensive that using it there is somewhat counterproductive.

Comment

Working from home?

Bu...bu...bu...but where will I get to read my Skytrain stories?
                                I take the ol' Sky Chariot to work these days and have seen my fair share of awesome.
                                -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                                -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Working...
                                X