Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Elections Canada: they remembered me!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:11 AM
Area Manager

Default Elections Canada: they remembered me!

Canada is in the throes of another federal election. We go to the polls on Oct. 21.

At our last such event (five years ago), I worked on Election Day. My hazy memories are of sitting at a desk, taking IDs, checking off the names of voters, handing out ballots, and then, at the end of the TWELVE-HOUR SHIFT, separating the ballots by party and totalling up how many ballots each party got at our particular site.

Oh, and did I mention that during this TWELVE-HOUR SHIFT, there were NO formal breaks? None. Just going to the loo was a challenge.

So colour me surprised when they contacted me to ask if I wanted to work for them again ...

I (eventually) called them back and was told that oh, this time around they have two actual 15-minute breaks in your TWELVE-HOUR SHIFT ...

Eleven and a half hours on, a total of half an hour off.

Okay, the wages are good: you get, I think, nearly $300 for the day. And this year it's on a Monday, so I'm not scheduled at the store anyway.

As things stand, though, I've left it too long; I didn't reapply when they called so it's likely the positions are filled by now. Might drop in tomorrow to see, though ...