Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never had I been so angry (SC's hate speech)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hobbs View Post
    What's worse is when people think that, because of my skin color and name, I automatically speak Spanish. I don't. I won't learn it. I have no desire to. No.
    I get it the other way. People assume that the juera couldn't possibly know how to spell, say, Torrez on her own. Of course, they don't know I was born and raised in southern New Mexico. And then I proceed to not only ask if it's with an "s" or a "z" (down in southern NM, you get a mix of Spanish and Mexican spellings) but to pronounce it correctly, too.

What's funny is that I get corrected every time I say "Cordova" in northern NM. Down south, it's pronounced Cor-do-va, up north, Cord-ava. Go figure.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth calulu View Post
      Moslems and homosexuals in Utah!! I don't believe it! The locals would have stoned them today eons ago...LOL
      some of them still might
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
        What's worse is when people think that, because of my skin color and name, I automatically speak Spanish. I don't. I won't learn it. I have no desire to. No.
        My friends mom had that issue. Thing is, she was non-hispanic as can be (german heritage) but her ex-husband was mexican and she kept his last name when they divorced. She would be very curt whenever someone called her speaking spanish. She has no knowledge of the language and had no urge to learn.
        Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Quoth Ghengis51 View Post
          My friends mom had that issue. Thing is, she was non-hispanic as can be (german heritage) but her ex-husband was mexican and she kept his last name when they divorced. She would be very curt whenever someone called her speaking spanish. She has no knowledge of the language and had no urge to learn.
          I have a friend who is Native American but looks Mexican. And his name is Francisco Diego Martinez. Seriously. And the only Mexican in him is from like 8 generations back. He doesn't speak any spanish at all and once got called a traitor to his people because of it.

Comment

Quoth RetailSlave View Post
            "I don't know why this store has to have damn Mexicans working here!"
            "The same reason we have to have damn ignorant hicks shopping here"
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I could understand the argument 'I don't want to be asked about which language I want to speak, English is our country's language,' except for one thing:

The USA doesn't have a national language. It's not english, or spainish, or french, or anything. If it were, I could understand the complaint, but it isn't, so anyone who pulls that crap has no leg to stand on, and I would deeply love to have a chance to point that out to one of them and see the look on their face.
              "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
                The USA doesn't have a national language. It's not english, or spainish, or french, or anything. If it were, I could understand the complaint, but it isn't, so anyone who pulls that crap has no leg to stand on, and I would deeply love to have a chance to point that out to one of them and see the look on their face.
                That's true. While we don't have an "official" language here in the US, English has been considered to be the predominant one.

And, on that note, let's save the debates on racism and languages for Fratching where they'll feel more at home.

Of course, fire away at the SC behavior - which the lady in the OP clearly demonstrated.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Interestingly enough, the exact opposite has happened to me. I've had someone come into my store before and started asking me questions in Spanish. I told him in the only Spanish I know that I don't speak Spanish.

He then looks at me and says in perfect, unnaccented english: "Why not?"

I'm just bewildered but I say "I've never learned." Guy then proceeds to cuss me out - in English - and then walks out.
                  "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

To that I'd reply do you speak Chinese? if they said no I'd ask why not?
                    If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

could understand the argument 'I don't want to be asked about which language I want to speak, English is our country's language
                      Well, not everybody speaks english. Also, how difficult is it just to press 1 right away? That's what I do all the time. The guy would say, "for english press 1" and that's what I do immediately. God, why do people moan about the most stupidest things that could be avoided anyways?

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                        God, why do people moan about the most stupidest things that could be avoided anyways?
                        Because they actually have to do something to avoid it.
                        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                          Interestingly enough, the exact opposite has happened to me. I've had someone come into my store before and started asking me questions in Spanish. I told him in the only Spanish I know that I don't speak Spanish.

He then looks at me and says in perfect, unnaccented english: "Why not?"

I'm just bewildered but I say "I've never learned." Guy then proceeds to cuss me out - in English - and then walks out.
                          I had that happen too. I was also called a racist for not speaking Spanish.
                          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            Until my professor mentioned that she was from Spain, that is. Suddenly the associate was very polite and excited about speaking to a European, then had the gall to mention she thought my professor was from Mexico. Unfortunately this employee didn't recognize how biased and ignorant she was sounding.
                            They couldn't tell by the accent? How redneck can you get. Oh, that is right, anyone with any type of hispanic accent in the U.S. must come from Mexico, illegally too. Illegally and living on welfare with 15 kids at home. We live with this pain every freaking day. I hate people.
                            Tamezin

Comment

Hmm. My store does get a lot of mexicans. All work damn hard. None are on welfare. Alll are also at least in the top ten of big spenders there.

I've worked with Pacific Islander, (Which I thought was Mexican. Boy was that embrassing), Blacks, Whites, Burmese, and of course, my greatest boss ever is Chinese. My two big big bosses are both lesbians. My sister is lesbian. Half my family is ether Mexican or black. I can speak very very minor spanish and Mandrian. I tried to learn Burma, but its like, ten words to say hi.

I can never understand racism or homophobia. As far as I'm concern, America is home of the free. All should be accepting. My best friend strongly disagrees with that statement, but whatever.

Point is, I save my hatred towards delibrite stupidity and horrid people. Like that lady. Your totally justified.
                              Military Spouse Support.
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

...I'm still a bit surprised about a time people were speaking Polish to me.

Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X