This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A typical call for me

You wanted it, you got it! Welcome to my world...

Customer: My cable box isn’t working.
    Me: OK, let’s reboot the box. Unplug the box for me, mam.
    Customer: I can’t do that, I’m 75 years old! (yes, she really said that)
    Me: It’s easy. Just unplug the cord from the back of the box.
    Customer: Um, okay. Let me try. (5 minutes of loud noises) Okay, I did it. The brown box, right?
    Me: Brown?
    Customer: I unplugged a brown box.
    Me: It should be black.
    Customer: OH! The digital box??
    Me: Um, yes. What did you unplug then, mam?
    Customer: The TV! It’s a big brown box!
    Me(hand to forehead): No, the BLACK DIGITAL BOX on top of or near the TV.
    Customer: OH! Oh no. I can’t unplug it.
    Me: It’s easy.
    Customer: Um, ok. OK, there are lots of wires hooked to the box.
    Me: Lots? How many is “lots”?
    Customer: Two.
    Me: (rolling eyes): OK, unplug them.
    Customer: Oh no, I can’t.
    Me: It’s easy, trust me.
    Customer: Oh, okay. Okay, it’s unplugged.
    Me: Okay, let’s give it a minute to clear –
    Customer: I’m sitting in the floor, will that make a difference?
    Me(face to desk): No mam. Now plug in the box for me.
    Customer: Plug it in?
    Me: Yes mam. Plug in the box.
    Customer: But---
    Me: Plug in the box, mam.
    Customer: Okay. It’s plugged up. Now what?
    Me: Wait for it to reboot…
    Customer: It didn’t reboot!
    Me: Mam, it can take a minute or two to finish its cycle & reboot.
    Customer: Oh okay. I’m just so glad you’re here for me! You sure are helping out a lot.

It went downhill from there.
    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

I almost broke rule number one reading that I just about died laughing
    Stop driving me insane, I'm already within walking distance!

Comment

The sad thing is, it's a daily situation. I almost always get random stupidity like this when trying to reboot a cable box. Just about every call.

Comment

PJ, you gotta bring some of us into work with you sometime, I gotta hear stuff like this for myself It blows my mind the amount of stupidity you deal with every day Poor, poor PJ
        Stop driving me insane, I'm already within walking distance!

Comment

battle axe

Quoth Jaden
          PJ, you gotta bring some of us into work with you sometime, I gotta hear stuff like this for myself
          You're better off running in the opposite direction! Sometimes I think even my old vulture ears (vultures have ears?) can't take the pain anymore...and I'm an old call center battle axe!

Comment

Quoth Jaden
            I almost broke rule number one reading that I just about died laughing
            Okay, stupid question time. What the heck is rule number one?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester
              Okay, stupid question time. What the heck is rule number one?
              It's an unofficial CS rule.
              "No eating or drinking while on CS. Your keyboard and computer will thank you."
              The reason for this smilie:
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Rule Number One; do not eat or drink anything while reading the boards. your monitor and keyboard will thank you for it.

Rule Number Two: watch out for the monkey. The sneaky little devil got loose several board incarnations ago, and despite endless traps baited with bananas, we've never been able to get him back.
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

Well, I'll say this for the old woman...she TRIED... Did she at first want a tech to come out to her house to do it for her?
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

PJ..where do you live because thats one town i sure dont want to drink the water from..omg... i think they should remane your town Idiotville!!

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine
                      Well, I'll say this for the old woman...she TRIED... Did she at first want a tech to come out to her house to do it for her?
                      I was thinking the same thing. At least she was being sincere and nice about her lack of technical knowledge. She could have been nasty and screaming and calling Phone Jockey names because she was incapable of understanding what Phone Jockey needed her to do.
                      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan
                        least she was being sincere and nice about her lack of technical knowledge. She could have been nasty and screaming and calling Phone Jockey names because she was incapable of understanding what Phone Jockey needed her to do.
                        This is true. She wasn't rude or mean & for that, I'm grateful. Still, she was VERY trying. That's what I deal with a lot of times.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl
                          Rule Number One; do not eat or drink anything while reading the boards. your monitor and keyboard will thank you for it.

Rule Number Two: watch out for the monkey. The sneaky little devil got loose several board incarnations ago, and despite endless traps baited with bananas, we've never been able to get him back.
                          The third rule of CS.com is, you do NOT talk about CS.com! But only if you've been bad-mouthing the boss and don't want him/her to find out about it.
                          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Phone jockey, I've found a kindred spirit. lol. Do I ever know how you feel. 99% of the population should never ever be able to touch a computer.

Comment

Some customers just do not have the faculties to operate the equipment they purchase....We just need to weed them out by some sort of prior-purchase I.Q test and then just give them a ball of yarn to play with or something
                              Sorry, but a failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

Comment

Working...
                              X