Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having worked in advertising for a really long time, I can't help wondering if that was a typo and supposed to be $46 an hour. Either that or a scam.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      Not to mention it's for minimum wage and no benefits. Insane requirements and insulting compensation. This is why I'm working in retail instead of doing data entry somewhere.
      I believe over at Fratching I posted some time ago about a McDonalds franchise in Virginia that required a 4 year college degree (no specific area required though) and 2+ years experience for a cashiers position.

At this point I wonder what the requirements for a grill or fryer position would have been???
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Ah, independent contractor, the way around all wage laws. I worked as a courier at $5 per stop. Decent enough pay... during the off season. It was presort mail, during one of the busy days leading up to Christmas, it required four trips to get the route done, and worked out to something like $3 or $4/hr before expenses. There's a reason why i work at WalMart these days.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the real wage they are offering. After seeing Secretary to the CEO jobs that want to pay $10 an hour with no benefits and yet have a phd, nothing surprises me.

Comment

Hubs has lots of IT certifications. When we was laid off he got tons of job offers for companies that thought min. wage was a princely sum for someone with 15+ years experience and qualifications to back it up.

Hell even me with 14 years making quilts, now 24 ribbons (2 more 1st place, yay!) and recently certified as a master quilter still get shit on when I tell local people that a queen size quilt (6 weeks work) costs $500.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              Hubs has lots of IT certifications. When we was laid off he got tons of job offers for companies that thought min. wage was a princely sum for someone with 15+ years experience and qualifications to back it up.
              The problem here is offshoring and "sponsorship Visas". That's all I'll say before I get into fratching territory.

Hell even me with 14 years making quilts, now 24 ribbons (2 more 1st place, yay!) and recently certified as a master quilter still get shit on when I tell local people that a queen size quilt (6 weeks work) costs $500.
              This doesn't surprise me. As someone who works in software, I've checked around and had a few people balk when I told them how much it would cost for a "basic" website. People just don't want to pay it.

Some people just don't realize the time, skill, and knowledge it takes to do some things.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Ah yes, loopholes.

Back in the late 60s my kid brother (six years younger) applied for a job delivering advertising circulars around the neighborhood. He got accepted and mom went ballistic because we was something like 10 and there was no way he qualified, but it was too late to back out. So I got the job (and the headaches).

Their scam was that they were paying 1 cent per circular. But supposedly you were supposed to be ableto deliver enough in an hour to make minimum wage (note, no way anybody was delivering that fast).

On the other hand, after delivering circulars to every single house in my zones (and two to the duplexes) I had well over 100 left.

Seems prior carriers had inflated the number of houses present to get more pay.

I imagine that at some point before the end of the 70s, their dodge broke done as minimum wage went up.

Comment

I remember seeing a post on TheDailyWTF.com about something who responded to a position advertised as a UNIX admin, and the guy wanted someone with a bunch of random computer-related skills, like processor design and PC repair. Turns out it was an assistant manager position at a storage-unit facility. The manager was apparently tired of "dumbass" applicants.
                  Random Doctor Who quote:
                  "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                  I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Quoth aqutalion View Post
                    I remember seeing a post on TheDailyWTF.com about something who responded to a position advertised as a UNIX admin, and the guy wanted someone with a bunch of random computer-related skills, like processor design and PC repair. Turns out it was an assistant manager position at a storage-unit facility. The manager was apparently tired of "dumbass" applicants.
                    I remember that one:

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/The-...The-Customizer
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I once took an ad from a local downtown lunch place that wanted someone to deliver food between noon and 2 pm. That's right: Two hours per day. He couldn't understand why he wasn't getting any applicants.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        CQD CQD CQD SOS SOS SOS SINKING. BAD SHIPBUILDING. REQUIRE IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE.

-.-. --.- -.. / -.-. --.- -.. / -.-. --.- -.. / ... --- ... / ... --- ... / ... --- ... / ... .. -. -.- .. -. --. .-.-.- / -... .- -.. / ... .... .. .--. -... ..- .. .-.. -.. .. -. --. .-.-.- / .-. . --.- ..- .. .-. . / .. -- -- . -.. .. .- - . / .- ... ... .. ... - .- -. -.-. . .-.-.-

.-.. --- .-..
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          .-.. --- .-..
                          ...- . .-. -.-- ..-. ..- -. -. -.-- *

* Argabarga: lol
                          greek_jester: Very funny
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                            Many listings seem like that to me. "25+ years experience, PhD minimum, must be willing to work 100 hour weeks, additional qualifications include astronaut training, skydiving, and giving speeches to a global audience." And the job is for grounds keeping at a school. I'm exaggerating, but it feels true.
                            That's about what its like with applying for city government jobs where I'm at.....only with the so-called "entry level" positions.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              Many listings seem like that to me. "25+ years experience, PhD minimum, must be willing to work 100 hour weeks, additional qualifications include astronaut training, skydiving, and giving speeches to a global audience." And the job is for grounds keeping at a school. I'm exaggerating, but it feels true.
                              Sadly you're not exaggerating. Back when I was looking for a better job one of my aunts told me to go look at an ad posted on my local PD's webpage, it was for a clerk-like position where all I had to do was really transcribe notes into a readable format onto the computer. Base WPM was low, like 60 or something, and I got all excited about it.

Unfortunately whoever wanted to get someone to answer that ad probably either wanted someone extremely talented or didn't really want the position filled. The lowest diploma they would accept was a Masters in Computer Science [or something to that affect] with 15-20 years experience in clerical work, alongside at least 5 years in law enforcement experience. Yea, I have none of those qualifications, not even close -- except for the WPM, that's all the experience I had.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                                Sadly you're not exaggerating. Back when I was looking for a better job one of my aunts told me to go look at an ad posted on my local PD's webpage, it was for a clerk-like position where all I had to do was really transcribe notes into a readable format onto the computer. Base WPM was low, like 60 or something, and I got all excited about it.

Unfortunately whoever wanted to get someone to answer that ad probably either wanted someone extremely talented or didn't really want the position filled. The lowest diploma they would accept was a Masters in Computer Science [or something to that affect] with 15-20 years experience in clerical work, alongside at least 5 years in law enforcement experience. Yea, I have none of those qualifications, not even close -- except for the WPM, that's all the experience I had.
                                Sounds more like "We have someone internal that IS getting the job but we're required to advertise externally".

The actual, on paper, requirements were probably the 60 WPM but the rest is just discouragement\qualifications the other person has so "how on earth can you be a good value hire?!"
                                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                                X