This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Collections Agents! Heads Up!

We (CS.com members) often complain about customers who are far too vague with their questions for us to be helpful. We (my co-workers and I) had a pair of shoppers last night who were a little too obvious with their intentions.

My store offers various options for home internet access. Customers can sign up for five different dial-up services (though they rarely do), one DSL service, one cable service, one satellite service, and two cellular "air-card" services. These usually come with some kind of discount or gift card from the provider in return for signing a contract with them. Most customers just ask about pricing, equipment, and promotional bonuses before deciding whether to sign up. But these guys had a few more questions.

Interrogative Guy: My friend said there's a way you can get wireless intnernet (yes, that's how he said it... "int-ner-net) everywhere.
    Co-Worker "S": Yeah, you can. (explains cellular air-cards). And you can sign up for Company X or Company Y here at our store.
    IG: Yeah, I heard Company X was pretty good. How much do they cost?
    CWS: (explains monthly pricing, contract, and promotion).
    IG's Stoned Buddy: You gonna do it, maaaaaan?
    IG: Yeah, probbly. So it's $$.$$ a month?
    CWS: Yes.
    IG: Do I pay that here?
    CWS: No, they'll send you a bill.
    IGSB: So it's... ... ... like a cell phone or something?
    CWS: Exactly.
    IG: So, do they charge late fees?
    CWS: I would imagine so.
    IG: Do you know how much?
    CWS: Hey, HawaiianShirts! Does Company X charge late fees?
    Me: Yeah.
    CWS: How much?
    Me: I don't know.
    IGSB: But they do charge late fees?
    Me: Yeah. It's just like a cell phone contract.
    IG: But, if you don't pay your bill on time, will they, like, cut you off?
    Me: At some point, sure.
    IGSB: Whaaat iiiifff you don't pay it... at all?
    Me: Then I'm sure they'd cut you off.
    IG: Do you know how long they'll let you go without paying?
    CWS: No clue, man. I wouldn't suggest that, though.
    IG: Why?
    CWS: They'll probably send your account to collections, and that's really bad for your credit rating.

I was called away to help someone else at that point. IG eventually signed up for Company X service and got a laptop to go with it. Somehow, though, I doubt he'll pay his bill on time, if at all... Just a hunch.

Oh, and while the sign-up was being processed, IGSB came and asked me where the bathroom was. I guess my answer--"Through the home theater department on the west wall"--was hilarious because he started laughing in that goofy--huuu huuu huh huh huh ha ha hahahahahaha--style that made me refer to him as the stoned buddy.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

So they're gonna get internet service & NOT pay it? Are they for real?

Comment

on topic... how stupid do you have to be to think you can get a service without paying for it.

off topic, hawaiin shirts, do you know if there is a way to set up a cellular internet service on a laptop that doesn't have the slide in slot thingy (i know, real technical)? I'd kinda like to set that up but I use a mac book that doesn't have any of those slots just the usb and firewire ports.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

*puts on a nametag that says "Hawaiian shirts"*

Yup. It's called a USB wireless card. I have one made by Linksys. They're less reliable than the PCI (that's the slide-in slot) kind, but it works fine for me.
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Yep. Planning to get internet and not pay for it. I guess they're just trying to get a couple months free and deal with the consequences later. We probably could have refused to sign them up on those grounds, but I'm sure management wouldn't back us up on just a "suspicion" like that.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          off topic, hawaiin shirts, do you know if there is a way to set up a cellular internet service on a laptop that doesn't have the slide in slot thingy (i know, real technical)? I'd kinda like to set that up but I use a mac book that doesn't have any of those slots just the usb and firewire ports.
          Yes. You can go with Saydrah's USB option if you just need Wi-Fi. Most cellular providers have a USB "air-card" now, too. I know Verizon does. I'm pretty sure Sprint does. I'm not absolutely certain on the others. Haven't seen a firewire version yet.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

on topic... how stupid do you have to be to think you can get a service without paying for it.
            Well, I get internet and don't pay for it.

Comment

Stupid enough to find a company that will endlessly credit you if you bitch and whine about being cut off due to spineless managers and short sighted policies created by people who think their business diploma makes them better then those with real world knowledge? Seen enough stories about them on this very page.
              "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
              James from Pokémon.

Comment

Campus internet is like 10 bucks a semester for me. but I still shell out 14.95 a month for dial up at home because I don't want to drag my tower to the school and find an outlet.

As someone who has screwed themselves credit wise, I've never signed up for something and then not paid for it. I really don't understand the concept, I mean "try x for 30 days free!" maybe, but not just sign up and not pay.
                Girls do not exist on the intarweb.

Comment

smileyeagle, I had this arguement with a woman a couple of weeks ago. She said she isn't paying for what she can't use anymore. I told her that she couldn't use it anymore, because she didn't pay her bills on it, if she paid the bill she could use it again. She still insisted that she wasn't paying for something she couldn't use right this minute.

This went on awhile, till I told her she will never be able to use it again till she paid for it. No company will allow her to keep using something she hasn't paid for.

This was an older woman who one would think would know this by now.
                  Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Hey, I work in a mac reseller... For the wireless thing, go track down an Airport card. I believe that's what you need, and they can install it for you too.
                    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                      Hey, I work in a mac reseller... For the wireless thing, go track down an Airport card. I believe that's what you need, and they can install it for you too.
                      I already have an airport card to connect to wifi, what I was interested in was one of the like verizon cards or sprint cards for my laptop... and so far all I've seen is the PCI slot card, haven't seen one that works on USB.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Asked one of the guys. He says not all carriers would have it (If you're in canada, likely Telus, Rogers... he's not sure which). He said what you need is an Express card 34 DVDO.

If you can understand that, then yay. I'm just the messenger. :P
                        Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Working...
                        X