This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently I'm a Smart Ass

When we have large areas affected by an outage, one of our leads will post a message on the phones for people to listen to before they get to us. This helps keep our volume down. The message we have playing right now says "We are currently performing routine scheduled maintenance in [state] from 1 am to 6 am EST." Most people in this area hang up after hearing this. People occasionally hang on the phone to ask us inane questions or complain we didn't call every customer in the area at 1am when we started the maintenance.

Today I had a customer hang on the line to ask me "Your automated message said you're doing maintenance in my area, what does that mean?"

I responded with "Umm... it means we're doing maintenance, -" and before I could elaborate with a definition of maintenance she called me a smart ass.

I am a bit of a smart alec, but I really don't understand how she was expecting me to answer.

Ha, that happens to me sometimes too. People will ask questions so stupid there's really no way you can answer and not come off like you're trying to be smart.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
      I responded with "Umm... it means we're doing maintenance, -" and before I could elaborate with a definition of maintenance she called me a smart ass.
      I just have to ask...would you rather be a smart ass, or a dumb ass?

A true smart ass would have said something like "We're doing maintenance. What the fuck do you think that means? Would you like me to draw you a fucking picture?"
      Sorry, but after dealing with idiots on the phone, questions like that just annoy the hell out of me
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Another smart ass answer:

"Oh, we just felt cutting off service to everyone in [state]. Maintenance is the excuse that we use."
        I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post

Tell her "Better a smart ass than a dumbass".

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
            Another smart ass answer:

"Oh, we just felt cutting off service to everyone in [state]. Maintenance is the excuse that we use."
            And add to that "So we can listen to every entitled, whining crybaby in the state pitching tantrums. Cuz it's so much FUN to listen to idiots like you!"
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
              Tell her "Better a smart ass than a dumbass".
              I resemble that remark.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working the drivethru window at my fastfood restraunt one morning. I was asked "How do your cinamon rolls come?" Dumbfounded I had no idea what to say. He then asked me the same question again. So I replied with "In boxes". To my shock the guy then asked for 2 of them!!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  I just have to ask...would you rather be a smart ass, or a dumb ass?

Now how did I know you were going to say that?
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

The bad part

If you replied with the exact technical details of the maintenance being done, I bet there is a good chance that they would not understand one word in three. At which point they again will claim you are being a smart-ass. Had it happen to me doing computer repairs in the field. Customer would insist on being told exactly what I was doing, and by the time the third word get out of my mouth I can see their eyes glazing over.

Comment

We had a lady call our company the other day. We just had an ice storm the previous day and our hold times were rather long. There was an IVR message telling them of this. This lady demanded to know why we didn't email her to let her know that the hold times were long since she was not involved in the outage and only wanted to speak to tech support for her internet. Sure...let me get our team of psychics right on that spaz.

Comment

Seriously, you could be as concise and as clear as possible and someone will inevitably ask. "What do you mean by that?" or "What are you saying?" or "What you're saying is...."

Drives me nuts!
                        I don't like your attitude!
                        Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Comment

I believe I would've said the same thing...I mean, what else are you supposed to say? I suppose you could have busted out a dictionary and given her the webster definition of "maintenance"....
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Here's one for you.. Not long ago, one of the guys I work with had dropped his car of f for some maintenance. Midway through the day, the garage called about its status. When another co-worker answered the phone, he relayed over that the guy's car was done. His response? "What do you mean by that?"

As soon as I'd heard that, millions of brain cells cried out in agony...
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                              When we have large areas affected by an outage, one of our leads will post a message on the phones for people to listen to before they get to us. This helps keep our volume down. The message we have playing right now says "We are currently performing routine scheduled maintenance in [state] from 1 am to 6 am EST."
                              If it is "routine scheduled maintainace" you could have notified people ahead of time. A simple email would have done it.
                              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                              X