This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Poor, Poor Gate

One of my duties at the conservation area where I work is locking up at night. I have to put away a bunch of signage, and then lock the parking lot gate and the main gate. If your car happens to be in the parking lot after closing time, well...I do have a nice printed note I leave on the windshield telling you when you can pick it up but otherwise you are out of luck. There are four signs posted about this in our lot, but as we all know some people won't read...
    I had to lock a van in last night, I was actually running a bit late so they had an extra 15 minutes to get to the lot, but there was no sign of anyone. So, I leave them a note, lock up and head home.
    When I got to work today someone had dissasembled the park gate. They'd taken it's hinges apart and left it in pieces on the ground, dangling from the padlock chain. Same with the parking lot gate.
    Called my boss, apparently she's never had anyone pull this particular stunt before. Luckily maintenance was able to fix it today, so I could lock up tonight.
    Really, though, why go to all that trouble? I mean, if they were gonna break out anyways, bolt cutters for the chains/padlock would have been so much easier.
    Last edited by Emmeileia; 12-31-2012, 01:54 AM.

Because (perhaps like me) he had a general purpose toolkit in the back of his vehicle, with wrenches and pliers of various types, but no bolt cutters.

Comment

seriously if you are going to all that trouble, put it back again. much more fun thinking of the person who is sure a car should still be in there wondering how it got out.

Comment

/\ I'd have done what Teskeria suggested, but then I'm still of the Leave No Trace mindset when it comes to Parks and such. *Shrugs*
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          seriously if you are going to all that trouble, put it back again. much more fun thinking of the person who is sure a car should still be in there wondering how it got out.
          <smiles seraphically> I used to work with a someone who was given the duty of looking after the storeroom and decided that meant he had the authority to be the Gatekeeper Of All Good Things.

It drove him nuts when we'd get things out of stores without him - the hinges were on the outside and you just had to push out the hinge pins...

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            Yea, there's no good excuse for not putting it back together-but of course, if the person in question was the kind who would put it together, they would probably have never gotten locked in.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
              Yea, there's no good excuse for not putting it back together-but of course, if the person in question was the kind who would put it together, they would probably have never gotten locked in.
              Bingo!

Van owner is the very definition of an EW and SC. He felt entitled to leave when he wanted, to create his own solution to getting out of the park, and not pick up after himself when he left.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Cutting the chain/lock is destruction of property. They probably figured that dismantling the gate would get them in less/no trouble.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                  <smiles seraphically> I used to work with a someone who was given the duty of looking after the storeroom and decided that meant he had the authority to be the Gatekeeper Of All Good Things.

It drove him nuts when we'd get things out of stores without him - the hinges were on the outside and you just had to push out the hinge pins...
                  Think like the whelp... Half-barrel hinges!
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X