This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble at the pump

I once had a guy on the phone who had just finished fueling his semi truck at one of our truck stops. Apparently there was an issue regarding payment, with the guy ending up trying to leave saying if they wouldn't take payment in the way he wanted, then he shouldn't have to pay at all.

Our smart thinking employee though decided she wasn't going to put up with his nonsense and called the cops to deal with the guy. In the meantime though, this trucker called me at corporate to try and get help. He flat out told me he wanted me to waive the charges on his pumped diesel so he could be on his merry way.

Naturally I refused which only provoked him to become angrier. Luckily by this time the cops had shown up and he had turned his attention to them, trying to explain the situation. But he hadn't shut off his cellphone, giving me the perfect window into his madness. For the next 16 minutes I got to listen to him argue about how he should be getting his gas for free because we had inconvenienced him. The cops meanwhile kept telling him that since he had pumped the gas, he had to pay for it or else he would be arrested.

In the end, after being given several final warnings by the police, the guy was still refusing to budge from his position. The last thing I heard on the phone was:

SC: "uhh, uhh, yeah they're arresting me, I gotta go." *click*

I just sat there for a moment stunned that anyone could really be so dumb. Only in America.
    Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

What was he trying to pay with? Wampum or something?!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Am I the only one who hopes that ends up on an episode of Cops, so that everyone can see the sheer stupidity?
      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        What was he trying to pay with? Wampum or something?!
        He wanted to pay with some type of check system used by truckers, however this particular location didn't accept that form of payment. This is generally the reason most truckers will carry around a few different forms of payment. The smart ones do anyways.
        Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Aw heck. Had I but known, I could have pulled this stunt at all my local department stores and scored many free Xmas gifts for family and friends. After all, my stupidity causes me inconvenience, therefore YOU must owe ME something.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Ah, the lovely T-check and C-check system. The baine of existance for anyone who was ever the daughter of a truck driver who needed money at 4 a.m. and that was the only way he could get any, or for anyone who has ever worked at a truck stop that uses them. Eck.

He must have been new to the job, or certainly he would have known better than to only carry around that form of payment.
            Insanity : a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world. - R.D. Lang

Comment

Quoth Jade Panurple View Post
              Ah, the lovely T-check and C-check system. The baine of existance for anyone who was ever the daughter of a truck driver who needed money at 4 a.m. and that was the only way he could get any, or for anyone who has ever worked at a truck stop that uses them. Eck.

He must have been new to the job, or certainly he would have known better than to only carry around that form of payment.
              Okay, since I've never worked in the trucking industry, and have never known anyone that has, I'm completely lost. What the hell is the "T-check and C-check system"?
              "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
              --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                Okay, since I've never worked in the trucking industry, and have never known anyone that has, I'm completely lost. What the hell is the "T-check and C-check system"?
                Oh dear god, do I loath them. And I even had the easy version with a card instead of the paper things that I have heard of. More or less the ones I had were sort of like a credit card, only a much greater pain in the back side. The Person pumps their gas and comes in and gives you the card, and if they are used to the process their mileage, driver ID, vehicle number, and I think trip number. So I have to swipe the card enter in the amount of gas and galons, the numbers that the driver hopefully gave me. After the whole thing processes the card has to be ran through one of those old imprint machines that make paper copies of the card info. Finally I fill out all the info on it as well; gallons, price per gallon, total, etc.

It takes about 5 minutes per transaction, because the phone lines are so slow approve the purchase, add to that the fact that if you enter even one digit wrongly then you have to start back at square 1.

Comment

Quoth allniter View Post
                  I just sat there for a moment stunned that anyone could really be so dumb. Only in America.
                  i don't like the fact that you're insinuating that only Americans are dumb. stupid people reside in all countries....

However, on topic of the post, I do agree that the truck driver was an idiot and hope he gets prosecuted for wasting everyone's time.

Comment

Quoth allniter View Post
                    He wanted to pay with some type of check system used by truckers, however this particular location didn't accept that form of payment. This is generally the reason most truckers will carry around a few different forms of payment. The smart ones do anyways.
                    Some companies have corporate gas credit cards for their drivers to use should they have to get fuel when they're out on the road.

All the driver needs is a passcode to use the card, but funny thing is not all the drivers have a working passcode and will have to use one assigned to one of the other drivers.

Just another day at the Tree for the Bonehead . . . and now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . .
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                    X