This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest pigeon report ...

My neighbour stopped me today to advise me that those fiendish pigeons have apparently now taken to hanging out on my balcony ...

Not surprised; I heard them at the crack of freaking dawn today. TBH I don't mind them, although I realize they leave a mess that I will have to clean up at some point. Neighbour, however, is of a different mindset and wants them GONE.

I am contemplating two options: buying this amazing-looking deterrent ... or putting up the fencing I intended to put up anyway and turning my cat loose on the balcony. (Yes, I have two cats, but whether the second one is interested in going out onto the balcony is anybody's guess. Fuzzy Pumpkin, though, will zoom out there in a flash if I open the door for him. I know because he's already done it once.)

Speaking of which, are there any special precautions I should take when cleaning up pigeon poop? There's not a lot of it at the moment, by any means, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 06-02-2019, 12:17 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

For cleanup, just use common sense. Minimize direct contact. If you are using a harsh cleaner, it could be your bigger threat. Something bleach based could be good.

And your downstairs neighbors may appreciate if you coordinate with them.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Lehrer is one of my all-time favourite satire singers!

Thanks, I've got a fair selection of household cleaners; I'll maybe get some rubber gloves and that should do it.

And not that it matters, but it's my next-door neighbour. He must peer around the edge of his own balcony posts to check out my balcony.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        And not that it matters, but it's my next-door neighbour. He must peer around the edge of his own balcony posts to check out my balcony.
        Run off.

Don't mess up your downstairs' neighbors balcony/patio while cleaning your mess.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Run off.

Don't mess up your downstairs' neighbors balcony/patio while cleaning your mess.
          Very true. I originally thought of buckets 'o' water but that, obviously would not be a great idea. The balconies are very much protected from the weather so it's not like I could blame it on a heavy rain -- unless we were having a typhoon.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Be a bit careful when clearing it up; Bird Fancier's Lung is a real problem if you have to do it on a regular basis. Perhaps one of those particle masks that people doing a lot of sanding use?
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              My neighbour stopped me today to advise me that those fiendish pigeons have apparently now taken to hanging out on my balcony ...

Not surprised; I heard them at the crack of freaking dawn today. TBH I don't mind them, although I realize they leave a mess that I will have to clean up at some point. Neighbour, however, is of a different mindset and wants them GONE.

I am contemplating two options: buying this amazing-looking deterrent ... or putting up the fencing I intended to put up anyway and turning my cat loose on the balcony. .

Since your neighour doesn't want the pigeons to be there, suggest to him that he purchase the amazing looking deterrent or fencing to keep them away. Then we'll see just how strongly he dislikes the pigeons.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                Since your neighour doesn't want the pigeons to be there, suggest to him that he purchase the amazing looking deterrent or fencing to keep them away. Then we'll see just how strongly he dislikes the pigeons.
                Good idea ... EXCEPT ... he likely won't ... he'll continue using his spray bottle which is filled with some ghastly homemade concoction that includes dish soap and one or two other items (bleach? Can't remember) which IMO is hideously cruel to the pigeons.

At least this thing, or even "pigeon spikes" (sold by the same online company), are annoying to the birds but not actively cruel.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Be a bit careful when clearing it up; Bird Fancier's Lung is a real problem if you have to do it on a regular basis. Perhaps one of those particle masks that people doing a lot of sanding use?
                  Interesting. My grandfather raised pigeons in an outdoor coop and had budgies and canaries in his basement ... if somebody had given him a particle mask he'd have likely used it for a nesting box ...

Wondering if one of those cheap dust masks would do the trick? I won't be doing this on a daily basis by any means ... probably just often enough to show willing to the neighbour.

I heard the pigeons rather loudly one day earlier this week (obviously on my balcony) and haven't heard them since, so ... perhaps they were just stopping by for a quick rest.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We have had some success with running fishing line just standing up from the top of the balcony railings. Some threaded eye fasteners get screwed in to the ends of the balcony railings, facing up, and we tie fishing line between them. It's up about 1/4" to 1/2" from the top of the railing, and evidently the pigeons don't really like landing or walking on it.

Rather less intrusive than the spikes, I think.
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                    X