What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are You Reading?

I just finished Michael J. Sullivan's Ririya Revelations (if you like your fantasy with real heroes and not everyone antiheroic and grimdark, absolutely read it, it's fantastic), then I remembered I have an ARC of I'll Be Gone in the Dark and it seemed like there is just no better time to read it, so here I am (it is about the hunt for the Golden State Killer).
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I'm on an urban fantasy kick at the moment, so things like Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series, the Rivers of London series, Charles Stross' The Laundry Files, and a couple of ongoing series' on Kindle Unlimited whose authors I can't recall off the top of my head.

My rules are simple; it has to make sense in the author's universe, it has to be internally consistent, the society has to work if supernatural creatures are "out", and horror creatures must be legitimately horrifying (no sparkly vampires*).

* Actually, I forgot about Jim C Hines' Magic Libres series. In this magic is worked by reaching into a book and pulling out items to use. Sufficiently popular books can "infect" the real world, hence a certain series' popularity means some obsessive readers became infected with sparkly vampirism. One of the problems this 'verse's version of magic cops has is working out which breed of vampire they're dealing with so they know how to stop them. There are so many different breeds, each with their own immunities and weaknesses, that guessing wrong can kill you before you have time to correct your mistake.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I do a lot of autobiographies, I'm reading Debra Winger's and Shirley McLaine's right now.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Re-reading all of the books in Jodi Taylor's The Chronicles of St. Mary's series.

If you haven't read these, I can't recommend them enough. Time travel (oh excuse me, "investigating major historical events in contemporary time" XD). Takes the characters to real historical events where they always manage to get into trouble no matter how benign the situation is to start with, can be hilarious but also has a lot of serious side plots. I actually learned a few things about historical events by reading these!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          My rules are simple; it has to make sense in the author's universe, it has to be internally consistent, the society has to work if supernatural creatures are "out", and horror creatures must be legitimately horrifying (no sparkly vampires*)..
          You might like Kevin J. Anderson's "Dan Shamble, Zombie PI" series. In a world where "unnaturals", such as zombies, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, etc., are an accepted fact of life and there's no masquerade in play to hide them, the title character does things like solve his own murder, and can be rather amusing in the process.

That Magic Libres series you mention sounds intriguing to me. Must hit the library website.
          Last edited by EricKei; 05-05-2018, 02:09 PM.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

At the moment I am re-reading Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series, Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series and Anne Bishop's whatever I can find at the second hand shops.

I have the first 3 of the Rivers of London book on my 'to read' pile, but haven't been sure about them yet. I picked them up at a book swap place, so if I don't like it then they didn't cost me anything and I won't feel bad about not finishing them.

Oh and plus whatever I find for free on iBooks.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I recently finished rereading L.E. Modesitt's Timegod duology. There is a world, named Query, whose people can travel through space and time... (Mechanics: They can't "break out" of a timedive anyplace they already are, and on their own world they can only break out at their "proper present" -- departure time plus their personal elapsed time since then.)

In the first book, they fought a war against another timediving species (the "Frost Giants") who killed off nearly all of their timediving population, and establish the Temporal Guard, which is set up as a planetary government as well as defence force.

The second book is set about a million years later... but timedivers are immortal, so the protagonists of the first book are still hanging around. The Guard is a planetary government, but not a particularly wise one (more than one of the older characters call the Guard "a bunch of polite barbarians"). The Queryans have also been wiping out a bunch more species, often accidentally; when you adjust a planet's history so they have more cool gadgets and weapons to steal, that tends to have untoward effects on their future. The protagonist for this book is Loki, a new Guard; he turns out to be the most powerful timediver in history, with bonus powers... who learns the hard way not to take things for granted.

Now I'm working my way through Jane Yolen's collection The Emerald Circus. As per her usual style, she likes to take traditional tales and put a new spin on them....

Comment

A good friend of mine just published a fantasy novel on Amazon Kindle. It's called Resurgence: Auros Book One and her pen name is Lori-Ann Claude if anyone's interested. I'm really enjoying it so far.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I just reread through the majority of the Dresden Files since there is the new short story anthology coming out soon.

I also have been reading Rivers of London its a very enjoyable series.

For our Urban Fantasy fans, I would recommend checking out RL King's Alastair Stone series.

Next on my list is We Are Legion: We Are Bob by Dennis E. Taylor on the recommendation of a friend of mine.

Comment

I'm on a Star Wars craze at the moment ... but only novels encompassing one or more of the characters from the original trilogy. I think I'm running out of books, LOL, although it might just be the limitations of even the local Big Box Bookstore.

I've read the first Rivers of London book and I really liked it. Will have to go back and check out the others, since from the sound of the posts here, there's at least two more.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      I've read the first Rivers of London book and I really liked it. Will have to go back and check out the others, since from the sound of the posts here, there's at least two more.
                      There are currently 6 books in the series as well as a Novella and a 7th book due out this November.
                      Last edited by Chanlin; 05-05-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

... my computer screen ... CS ...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There is always one.
                          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I'm on a Star Wars craze at the moment ... but only novels encompassing one or more of the characters from the original trilogy.
                            I very much enjoyed 'Kenobi' which is like a Western set on Tatooine while Ben tries to figure out what to do with himself while the Lars' raise Luke. It was a fun read.
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Elizabeth Moon: "Crown of Renewal"

Ngaio Marsh: "Artists in Crime"

and Agatha Christie: "Crooked House"

I'll have to check out some of yours . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X