No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have started reading King Rat by China MiĆ©ville.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Eireann View Post
      I just finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, and what a trip that was!
      I just finished a re-read of that one myself. Even knowing the outcome, it's still quite a ride getting there! Well worth reading more than once.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
        I just finished a re-read of that one myself. Even knowing the outcome, it's still quite a ride getting there! Well worth reading more than once.
        It certainly is! I wondered how on earth the author would wrap everything up - who was doing this? How was it done? (Okay, the "how" wasn't gone into.) How was the protagonist able to get to the scene in the first place? (Again, no answer to that.)

And, of course, what happened after the book ended?

Comment

• "Voices Of The Fall" -- stories set in John Ringo's Black Tide Rising series... a zombie apocalypse as a side effect of "H7D3" flu. While I was reading it, David Wilcox's "Reaper Sweepstakes" came up in my playlist!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• I tried "Consider Phlebas" on recommendation from an online list. Gave up just short of halfway in.

Enjoyed a collection of short works by Naomi Narvik set in her "Temeraire" setting. I'm going to be reading more of that!

Recently finished "Fool's Assassin" by Robin Hobb. It may not have been the best place to start there, but it was what seemed the best of what my local library had on hand. I liked it as well, and will be checking out more of them once the library re-opens.

Currently reading LeGuin's "Rocannon's World". Good stuff; pretty much all of her work is.
            ā€œThere are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldā€™s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• King Rat didn't grab me so I gave up on it.

I am now half way through The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones.

Comment

• I'm currently reading Drew Hayes' NPC series. I've just started the (current) last in the series, Siege Tactics. It's rather fun.

The basic premise is, imagine that the NPCs in this series' version of D&D had self awareness, and that their world existed. Then imagine that whenever someone in our world plays D&D, what happens in the game, happens on the NPCs world. Now imagine what happens when a party of adventurers die in the village inn after being summoned by the king, and the NPCs decide to take on the task the adventurers were summoned to do so that their king doesn't raze their village to the ground.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  I'm currently reading Drew Hayes' NPC series. I've just started the (current) last in the series, Siege Tactics. It's rather fun.

The basic premise is, imagine that the NPCs in this series' version of D&D had self awareness, and that their world existed. Then imagine that whenever someone in our world plays D&D, what happens in the game, happens on the NPCs world. Now imagine what happens when a party of adventurers die in the village inn after being summoned by the king, and the NPCs decide to take on the task the adventurers were summoned to do so that their king doesn't raze their village to the ground.
                  A similar novel is Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones. In this novel a parallel world is being used as a destination fro adventurers. The inhabitants of the parallel world have to be the NPCs. But things go awry, and the story happens.

Comment

• Those sound a bit similar to the concept behind John Scalzi's "Redshirts", except that one is set in a near-Star Trek universe. (Good book, BTW, and highly recommended!)
                    ā€œThere are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldā€™s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Reading CJ Cherryh's Fading Sun trilogy. I'm having trouble getting into it but I don't think that's the book's fault. I've had a hard time focusing lately on anything. Stay safe, readers!
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• It would probably be in poor taste to be holding a copy of "The Stand" in the breakroom, wouldn't it?
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

It would probably be in poor taste to be holding a copy of "The Stand" in the breakroom, wouldn't it?
                          That is brilliant! It would actually be thought hysterical where I work, those who understood the reference, anyway.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I'd get mixed response from co-irkers who recognized the book. Some would laugh, some would get all huffy and offended. Others just wouldn't get it.

I don't hang out in the breakroom much anyway. Too noisy and rowdy at times, and when I don't have that headset on, I NEED some quiet and as few human voices in my ear as possible.

Comment

It would probably be in poor taste to be holding a copy of "The Stand" in the breakroom, wouldn't it?
                              Heh, I was going to start re-reading that today.

Comment

• Right now I'm reading The Arithmancer, a Harry Potter fanfic inspired by HPMoR. Not quite up to EY's level but still pretty good.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10070079/1/The-Arithmancer

Comment

Working...
                                X