This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C question

I bought a second-hand Frigidaire air conditioner that fits into the sleeve in my apartment wall. Here's my question: it is blowing air towards the ceiling. I would like to redirect it but can neither change the left/right direction, nor the up/down direction. The grill (or whatever you want to call it) appears to be pretty much welded in place (okay, I'm probably exaggerating, but it's definitely immovable).

Anybody got any suggestions? Are these things supposed to be like this?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I have seen some with fixed vents. Very rare. A close look and you should be able to tell if the vanes are supposed to move.

Usually, the front cover comes off. You may have better luck access the vent mechanism from the rear and losening it up. You could also try soaking the whole thing.

You could also look at placing a piece of light cardboard/poster board over it to act as a hood and force more air forward.

Having it blow upwards is not necessarily a problem. The air will mix. The room will cool. If you are looking for it to blow cool air on you, you have a problem.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      *snip*

Having it blow upwards is not necessarily a problem. The air will mix. The room will cool. If you are looking for it to blow cool air on you, you have a problem.
      I think this one does have fixed vanes.

And yes, that is pretty much what I was looking for. Why is it a problem?
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Don't forget that cool air will naturally sink. The higher the aim, the further through the room the cold can spread; if you just have it pointing at you, then it's not going to be taking the heat out of the room.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          And yes, that is pretty much what I was looking for. Why is it a problem?
          Because that is not the direction the air is blowing.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I recommend you just supplement the cooling effect with a fan in your room, pointed at you.

Comment

I use a combo of these

My issue is that my window unit's vanes won't pivot far enough to the sides, so I have a big cardboard/poster on the bookshelf to the far side of it, which forces the air into the room rather than half of it into the bookshelf, as it was before. In addition to that, I have a box fan halfway across the room that blows the cool air towards my bed, and a smaller one that's set up perpendicular to that that catches some more errant cool air
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Perhaps something like this would work? it would redirect the air down, but wont really work for directing it to the side.
                This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm going to go bang my head on my desk ... we had those in my mother's house but they were used to redirect the hot air from the furnace. Never would have thought of using it with my a/c.

TBH, I was still amazed to find that they are sold anywhere. Will check it out, thanks.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                  X