Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I'm aware speed walking could mean a mile in much less time than walking.

This person's exercise regimen is walking to the fridge and playing with a video game controller, I doubt they can walk a mile in less than 15 minutes.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
      Yeah, this Olympian couch potato was telling me that the rate I go on the cardio machines is "slow", boasted that he can walk a mile in 7 minutes (You CANNOT WALK a mile in 7 minutes!!) and that he can pedal a mile on an exercise bike in 1 minute.
      How can you doubt that guy's claims? He does that ever day with his video exercise game.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        PepperElf, are you male or female? If male, the guy's just a jerk. If you're female, well, that explains it then - didn't you know that it's perfectly ok for men to carry those extra pounds, but women should always be slim? Therefore, they have every right to comment no matter how large they are. At least a large portion of the male population I've encountered seem to feel that way (apologies to the decent males out there).
        ROFL. I'm laughing cos... I get called a dude online a lot. Even when I use feminine names. I think it's because I've worked in a male-dominated field for so long it's rubbed off on me. plus i swear like a sailor.

but yes i'm female

and yeah both M and fuckface were like that - gotta comment on girls' sizes when they themselves diets. M in particular liked making chewbacca sounds to describe some of the girls.

Although ... perhaps in a bit of irony... Fuckface never had a girlfriend (or boyfriend) the entire time I knew him. I think that's why he was so bitter towards me, cos... sure I was overweight but I could at least get laid. Without paying someone. Not so for him I suspect.

And M... IIRC the first girlfriend he had after dumping his wife ... she dumped HIM, supposedly over his expanding waistline.

So yeah, lots of double standards there
        Last edited by PepperElf; 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          And M... IIRC the first girlfriend he had after dumping his wife ... she dumped HIM, supposedly over his expanding waistline.

So yeah, lots of double standards there
          It's probably a version of the Dunning Kruger effect - which would explain a lot of the thought process of sucky customers, as well (I think I first read about it from another post on here - can't remember...) I'll never forget when my BFF's husband referred to an actress as "cute, if she lost a few pounds" while he was well over 350 at the time (his weight ended up killing him at age 41 )
          Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
          At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

I would have asked the lady in the OP if she was pregnant with at least octuplets (or if she had eaten 8 children).

I'm not a bitch to people until they're a bitch to me first.

Comment

Quoth Zoe Hates You View Post
              I have to restrain myself because this woman is VERY overweight, far more than I am. She is using one of those walkers that also has a seat on it and it looks like it's being devoured by rolls and flab
              If it had been a motorized scooter, then I would've sworn I've encountered this woman before. I had a meeting with my SSI case worker about a month ago and, as my dad and I were leaving the office, there was this...rather large woman in the parking lot, sitting in a motorized scooter (the kind with a little basket in the front). On the back of said scooter was an oxygen tank, the tubing of which was in her nose, and she was smoking (which makes me go O.o, but that's beyond the point). She gave me *the* dirtiest look when she saw me. It took every ounce of willpower, every mental reminder of 'It's not worth it', not to flip her off.
              Last edited by firecat88; 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                [...]...rather large woman in the parking lot, sitting in a motorized scooter (the kind with a little basket in the front). On the back of said scooter was an oxygen tank, the tubing of which was in her nose, and she was smoking
                Imagine said woman also being so heavy that she had to use the handrail to pull herself and her motorized scooter up handicap ramps, and you've got a lady one of my friends used to work with. It was like watching a legal, slow suicide.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Sounds a bit like my Mom, only her signature saying, no matter what I accomplished (straight A's in school, losing weight, whatever) was "that's fine, why can't you do that all the time?". No matter what I did, I never got praise for doing something good once, instead it was used against me as proof I could do it, and reason to chastise me for not doing it all the time.

She got better about that once I was grown (she just rarely commented at all on any accomplishments), but I also learned never to tell her my problems or torubles. Whether it was health, finances, whatever, I could barely get the words out to tell her, and instead of sympathy, I would get a long long story of how much worse she had it on that subject. If I had a headache, she had a massive migrain, etc.
                  Are we secret sisters?
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

"Lois, men aren't fat. Only fat women are fat."

....yeah. Outmoded attitude.

I'd rather be a little heavy than the twig I was (FINALLY gained 20 pounds in the last couple months!). If they want to make fun of my weight, well--I'm no longer in customer service, so I am free to tell them to kiss my ass.
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Zoe,

an active bellydancer (even if you are no longer professionally dancing) is much, much healthier than most of the population, and with better stomach and girdle muscles than even many athletes.

Anyone who insults your body can go. get. stuffed.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have a friend who used to be morbidly obese until she had gastric bypass surgery. She's still overweight, yet she makes nasty comments about overweight people and the way they dress and look all the time. I tell her I don't want to hear it, as I consider it incredibly hypocritical of her. It's gotten to the point where I don't hang out with her so much, because I don't like her nasty attitude towards some things.

One would think if you've been the target of cruel and nasty comments all your life, you would have the decency and understanding not to do it to others.
                        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Quoth ShootMePlease View Post

One would think if you've been the target of cruel and nasty comments all your life, you would have the decency and understanding not to do it to others.

It may be that your friend believes if she insults other overweight people, then she somehow convinces herself that she isn't overweight because she's insulting overweight people.

Or she insults them because she believes they're trying to remind her that she's still overweight and she's trying to strike back at them.

Perhaps she's just really bitter about her lot in life.
                          Cast in the name of Death, Ye not living.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

ROFL. I'm laughing cos... I get called a dude online a lot. Even when I use feminine names. I think it's because I've worked in a male-dominated field for so long it's rubbed off on me. plus i swear like a sailor.

but yes i'm female

and yeah both M and fuckface were like that - gotta comment on girls' sizes when they themselves diets. M in particular liked making chewbacca sounds to describe some of the girls.
                            Sorry about that I can rarely remember who has posted what in the past, so without a very definitive name, I never can remember who's male or female. And to be totally honest, I was just too lazy to go check your profile or look at past posts for a clue

Quoth wagegoth View Post

Are we secret sisters?
                            Well, if you want to compare stories, feel free to email But I know we can't be blood sisters cause no way my mom would have gone through anything as painful as childbirth another time and never told us all about how hard it was

Quoth ShootMePlease View Post
                            I think some people see it as they took all the abuse before, now it's their turn to give it. I know in the military, most enlisted go thru the ranks, but stay enlisted, just as officers are officers from day one. Occasionally, though, an enlisted person "crosses over" and becomes an officer. You'd think they'd be the most sympathetic and fair to enlisted, but some of them end up being harsher and harder on enlisted than the regular officers - they love being able to subject others to the worst of the crap they had to take before.

Madness takes it's toll....
                            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Occasionally, though, an enlisted person "crosses over" and becomes an officer. You'd think they'd be the most sympathetic and fair to enlisted, but some of them end up being harsher and harder on enlisted than the regular officers - they love being able to subject others to the worst of the crap they had to take before.
                              The same thing happens in civilian life. I had several coworkers that became managers and turned into total asshats. We always attributed it to the frontal lobotomy they received with the promotion.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                                It's about as confusing as being told, by someone who never leaves their bedroom playing video games other than to work and use the bathroom........that my exercise routine (biking, treadmill, weights, etc at least 4 days a week) is too "slow". Yeah, this Olympian couch potato was telling me that the rate I go on the cardio machines is "slow", boasted that he can walk a mile in 7 minutes (You CANNOT WALK a mile in 7 minutes!!) and that he can pedal a mile on an exercise bike in 1 minute.
                                Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                                Better get him on a cycling team, Lance Armstrong can only ride at a paltry 35 MPH when "attacking", someone that can ride 60MPH would win everything! *snerk*
                                Checked a page of cycling records, and didn't see any records for the mile. What I did see:

- Unpaced (i.e. not drafting behind a powered vehicle) 200 metres (around 1/8 mile) from a flying start: a hair under 83 MPH

- Over 1 hour, a hair under 57 MPH

- On rollers (i.e. no wind resistance) - 208 MPH

The rollers case would be the closest to an exercise bike, but I doubt if a couch potato could achieve that. Presumably he's never done this with you watching to verify his time.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X