This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for wanting to keep your kid safe

I've been creeping around for a while but because my job is taking care of kids at a large company, I don't have too many stories

It's an after-school program where the kids are picked up from their schools then watched and occupied through many activities until their parents pick them up. The parents have to come in, sign them out, and walk out with them - simple, yes?

But this one parent runs up to the door, says "Hi, I'm here for so-and-so" to the person watching the door, then runs back out to the car. The parent has been told frequently, if not every single time that she CANNOT DO THAT because it's against the Company's policy and it is UNSAFE for their child to walk out on their own because Pedobear might come along and snatch their kid!
    When the CW who watches the door for the parents are able to get a word to the parent before disappearing, she says that we will not send the child out alone and that they've been told the same thing over and over.

SP: Sucky Parent
    CW: CW

SP: "But my other child is sleeping in the car"
    CW: "I understand but/ I'm sorry but/ We have told you before that - you have to wait for your child"
    SP: "I cannot leave my other child alone in the car" (but you're doing so right at that moment and wasting more time by arguing. do you not know that even the 30 seconds you're using to run to the door and back, is enough time for Pedobear to come along, open the door, and take said child? I've seen news stories where Pedobear/desperate wanna-be mother have snatched babies and children from the car when the parent is RIGHT THERE NEXT TO THE CAR)
    CW: "We won't have your child leave unattended. Please get your child and come in and wait, we also need you to sign your child out" (so many parents NEVER sign their kids out unless reminded. It's simple. While waiting for said child/children, just make put down your initials! It's not such a HUGE thing but it really helps keep track how many kids are left, especially when there's 100+ of them)

SP eventually makes a catbutt face, goes back to car and gets the sleeping child, comes back and glares at both CW and me (hey, I was just standing there dealing with child -who was either hurt or in trouble, can't remember- but I'm not involved with the situation?! why are you glaring at me?), signs out the child and finally waits at the door.

Geez, glaring and making cat-butt faces and arguing over the SAFETY OF YOUR CHILD is ridiculous! If you don't want to deal with it, don't leave your kid in an after-school program!

-btw, though, I absolutely LOVE the child of the parent. so SO cute and well behaved-

Sounds like OSHC. I grew up in those.

And my dad used to have no problem hauling a sleeping toddler in.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Check your local laws first -- but you guys could always call the cops on her for leaving the other kid in the car, unattended... >_>
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The public school won't let a kid go across the parking lot alone! Not just 'cause of Pedobear, but because some people don't know how to slow the heck down while driving through an area full of kids. I've been nearly hit by a low flying rocket (aka speeding car) and it's to the point where the school board is considering asking the city police to post a car there during the release time!

And I still hear the complaints from parents because they park in the lot right across from the door... and the teacher won't let their little precious walk across the drive... (You can chose to get in the long line of vehicles and pull up near the door to pick up your kids. Great for those days that walking is hard for me.)
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Last week I got a complaint of unattended kids in a car; 10, 7 and 5. Was just about to call the police when a very huffy lady came out from one of the stores. Didn't seem to care how much worry she'd caused people, or that the police had almost gotten involved. THEN I learned she was a manager at the store! Well, guess I won't be eating there now!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
            -btw, though, I absolutely LOVE the child of the parent. so SO cute and well behaved-
            Well, sounds like there's at least one adult in the child's life who's a good influence (though I have my doubts about it being the parent in question).

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I wish I could get the police involved to show the parent how serious it is

Once, the parent came when it was really dark and the parking lot lights are not the brightest and CW told me to walk the child out because agian, Parent just popped head in, and popped back out.

I don't know how much the parents pay to keep their child in the program, but apparently it's enough for my boss to not want to lose any "customer"s.

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                hey, I was just standing there dealing with child -who was either hurt or in trouble, can't remember- but I'm not involved with the situation?! why are you glaring at me?
                Because YOU could have walked the child out, surely...
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

one of my former coworkers was telling me that he always used the pay at the pump because he got in the habit from having kids. even walking in to pay for gas while leaving the baby in the car was illegal.

plus - don't forget it's not just pedobear dangers you need to worry about, but also heat & cold dangers. same as leaving your pets in the car... only more serious

Comment

Wait, do you actually tell them that Pedobear might snatch their child? How do you explain what a Pedobear is?

Comment

Working...
                    X