This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable write-up!

My boyfriend R relayed this to me last night.

He's a manufacturing engineer, working in a fairly large factory in northern Illinois. He and his coworker P often stand on the landing that looks down on the production floor discussing changes to be made, possible improvements, etc. They have one coworker in another department who has a tendency to go right up to P and start talking over R, as if he wasn't even there.

R has little tolerance for that kind of rudeness and yesterday he finally said, "M, that's the fourth time you've interrupted me while P and I were talking, and I'd appreciate if you'd stop." Perfectly reasonable thing to say, and while I'm sure his tone wasn't the most polite in the world, I do know him well enough to know he wouldn't SAY anything rude to a coworker.

M went to R's boss to complain, R's boss brushed him off, basically saying, "we're all grownups here, and it sounds like it's simple enough to work out. Well that didn't satisfy M, and then he went to HIS boss to complain. M's boss told him to make a written complaint, they forwarded it to HR, and the HR lady gave R a write-up to sign!

She basically said, "I can't believe this has escalated to this point, but since it's a written complaint, I don't have a choice." R signed the write-up, adding that he disagreed with the action being taken, but really, Illinois is an at-will state, so what else is he going to do?

I am absolutely floored that a grown, middle-aged man would go around to all the bosses complaining that someone called him on HIS rude behavior. R asked the HR lady if he was supposed to come crying every time someone hurt his wittle feelings
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Quoth tollbaby View Post
    M R asked the HR lady if he was supposed to come crying every time someone hurt his wittle feelings
    Well, why the hell not? HR's already shown they'll issue write-ups for stupid things, as long as you put your complaint in writing.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've heard of even more stupid reasons to get written up that are just as unbelievable.

Comment

Your boyfriend should put in a written complaint about they guy interrupting.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
          Your boyfriend should put in a written complaint about they guy interrupting.
          I would completely agree. If a written complaint is all it takes to get a write up, nit pick everything the guy does and write one complaint letter listing everything that is wrong with his work and hand it in to HR.

Its pretty rediculous that you get a write up simply because of a letter of complaint. Did your boyfriend request a copy of the complaint letter? If its part of his permanant employee file he has the right to a copy of it. If its not in his permanant employee file, then there should be no write up.
          "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

it's policies like that that make the "i'm special" mentality stick around. if HR departments would grow spines and say "shut up and grow up," i have a feeling the world would be a much happier place.
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

Make a written complaint about having a written complaint made against him.

Comment

It's stuff like that leads to tit for tat type things.

Comment

Anyone can get written up for anything, I could get written up for simply going to the bathroom when I need to go. It's stupid, really, truly is.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

To be fair, I don't pretend to understand at-will employment. Here in Canada, even the lowliest employee is protected to some degree by the labour boards, tribunals, etc. It seems that, in places like Illinois and New York where they HAVE at-will employment, employees have NO rights and NO expectation of fair treatment.

I plan on convincing him to move to Wisconsin when the time comes for me to move down there.
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth king4aday View Post
                      write multiple complaint letters

6/23 Coworker rudely interrupted important meeting.
                      6/24 Coworker ate my lunch
                      6/25 Coworker's shoes clash with his belt
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

6/26 Coworker vocalized loud belch and didn't say excuse me
                        6/27 Coworker went to the bathroom and didn't wash hands before returning to work
                        6/28 Coworker stunk up break room by microwaving something smelly for lunch
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                        X