Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 08-21-2019, 03:57 AM
Unsteady as she goes

Quote:
Quoth Gidgetdigit View Post
Never go to Australia, then. That is Ground Zero for abbreviated wordies.

I know language use changes over time, and it's going to change whether I like it or not, but you will never hear me saying:

"a new build" - is it so hard to say building, or house, as appropriate?
"a big ask" - it's a request, and this way sounds like "big a$$" to me
"going to gym", instead of to the gym
"pant", "shoe", and all the endless variations where a plural word for a piece of clothing becomes singular - it sounds so pretentious to me

I am going OT, though. This could be another thread in itself.
The one that bugs me is "a red lip" (or pink or whatever), or "your pout".

IT'S RED LIPSTICK! AND YOUR LIPS, NOT A POUT!!

Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Quote:
Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
Then there were the times people would ask for a recommendation of a good wine to take to someone's house. Now, I am a nondrinker who finds most alcohol disgusting, and what I know about wines even today would fit in a thimble.
Every few months our wine shop has some sale, and we're all supposed to wear shirts advertising it. I think the back says something like "Ask Me About Vino Day". Even the warehouse guys are supposed to wear them. Most of Grocery doesn't drink wine very often.

I don't drink at all and two of our Storytellers are actually underage...we were able to successfully argue why we can't wear the shirts. Not only would forcing a minor to advertise wine be sketchy (and possibly violate some law), we don't know near enough to actually help customers with wine and asking a nondrinker for wine recs is like asking a llama about particle physics.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:45 PM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth MadMike View Post
A guy I used to know told me about how he accidentally pissed off a customer once when he was working at a job, simply because he misheard/misunderstood her.

I lady drove up to the front of the garage and asked him if they had a vacuum. He told her, "No, I don't, but if you bring it around back, I'll blow it out with an airhose."

The lady started yelling at him, and he had no idea why. Turned out she had asked if they had a bathroom, not a vacuum. Oops.
I've had issues like that, though not quite so spectacular. (Hearing-impaired since birth.) Fortunately, I do have the common sense to go "woah, they could not actually have said that" when appropriate, but that's of limited help with, say, author's names.

This is English: word order matters
Old 08-30-2019, 04:36 AM
Deluxe Lackey

Default This is English: word order matters

Garcia y Vega makes a brand of cigars called Game. Every last one of the more than 25 varieties says on the package "Natural Leaf Cigarillos".
Five of those varieties are a sub-brand called Game Leaf.
One flavor of those is Natural.

Thus, that one flavor should be identified as a "Game Leaf, Natural."
Calling it a "Natural Game Leaf" is marginally acceptable, as some people use that where the word "Natural" is just redundant and confusing, as in the phrase "a Natural Game Leaf, Cognac."
"Cognac Game Leaf" is clear, but "Natural Game Leaf" is not, since the word Natural is not just a flavor, but also a description of the product.
But the name of the sub-brand is "Game Leaf", so those words belong together.
And calling it a "Game Natural Leaf", well that could apply to ANY of the Game cigars, as they are all "Natural Leaf" cigars.