X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mytical View Post
    Three words. 8 track player.
    Sold one today at our garage sale, but I just found some more tapes for it.

Quoth Bandit View Post
    Two other words.....

Rotary Telephone.

Yes, I have one of them. Never fails to work and will wake the dead with the ring.

B
    I can top that, my Dad has one he uses that it so old it needs an adapter to plug in to a standers phone outlet. Still works though, it's the kitchen phone.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      they also think Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" is a cover.
      Or that the music from Zeppelin's Kashmir was sampled from Puff Daddy's song Come With Me (Came out with Godzilla in 98) or from RATM's song Wake Up.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
        Or that the music from Zeppelin's Kashmir was sampled from Puff Daddy's song Come With Me (Came out with Godzilla in 98) or from RATM's song Wake Up.
        Sampling and time travel. Wow.
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----
        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
          Better yet: reel-to-reel.
          I'm surprised this isn't a dalesys post.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            I'm surprised this isn't a dalesys post.
            I'm flamous!

I remember watching TV (at friends houses) with round screens... (we didn't get a TV until I was 16 or so)

One of my dad's friends had a wire recorder.

My high school electronics class did our lab tinkering with tubes: dy-odies and try-odies. Yelling *!BANG!* when a classmate was plugging in the last wire on their solderless breadboard was always fun. (250VDC power)
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My parents had a great record collection...very eclectic, and they weren't really into rock and roll or pop music from the rock era. But my mom did have some very cool 45s, dating from the 50s (such as Elvis, The Everly Brothers, Patience and Prudence, and Frankie Avalon); the 60s (The Association, and um...can't remember what else ); and the 70s (Tony Orlando and Dawn, Anne Murray, Neil Diamond, Hot Butter). I have most of the 45s, which I need to bring to their house now that they have a turntable/CD burner thingy (even if I have most of those songs on MP3 now), and they kept some of the LPs that were still playable.

Anyone who is old enough to have bought music on cassette should know what a B side is, as well...cassettes lasted into the 90s. And yes, I know that 1990 was 21 years ago now...
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I've died a little bit at work.

While we were cleaning up for the huge renovation I came across a 14.4k modem. I make the comment to a young sales rep about how I remember using it to get on the internet, and how things have changed from using dial-up. He looks at me for a moment and says "What's dial up?"

Another rep who's old enough to be my dad happened to show me an ad for the original Walkman he found in some old papers in his garage. Think very late 1970s, early 80s. One of the young reps looks at it and says "What's a Walkman?" Yes..we died a little that day too.

These reps are easily 10-15 years younger than me. The should know what some of this stuff is, right?
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I would think so, as their parents probably would have had such things around. Some kids seem to be totally oblivious these days...or maybe I'm just becoming my own parents
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I used to drive my daughter mad when she was younger, she'd turn the radio up saying "ooh, I like this new song" and I'd be singing away to it

After a few rounds of "how do you know that, its new?" and me explaining what a cover was, she finally got it

I also remember when I was young listening to old 78rpm records, my grandparents had some and my mum ended up with a few old classics.
                    Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to them
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I still have my cassette Walkman. It still works, too. But I also have the new version which is an MP3 player.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have a beat-up vcr, from when my bf got it when he was like in early middle school/ around 12 or so (so like mid-nineties, or ealier)... remote and everything, and I need to get it hooked up, so I can introduce my room-mate to The Last Starfighter, Indiana Jones, and Hunt for Red October.
                        Can you believe that anyone hasn't seen Indiana Jones?? It's gonna be awesome. I also have an A-ko and Demon City that I haven't watched, but got last summer, along with the HfRO-- all from a thrift store, in the ever-lonely book/media section... y'know, the one that is the dumping grounds for people who can't sell/burn/give away what they dug up from gramma's estate-sale... :\ EH. More 4 me.
                        BEHOLD:
                        http://www.iheartchaos.com/post/1048...-might-as-well
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I still have my cassette Walkman. It still works, too. But I also have the new version which is an MP3 player.
                          I still have a CD player from the early 1980's - and yes, it works.
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                            draggar, i have one from my dad that you'll be able to relate to...

this was when dad was in his 20's (so 80's)
                            he was in a RECORD store, all the way down at the far end of the alphabet (Yes, the Who, ZZ TOP, etc) and all the way at the other end (the A's and B's) comes this high-pitched squeal (that only tweenage females and dolphins can communicate in) "Oh Missy! Did you that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings!?!?!?"

these young ladies were not even a full 10 yrs younger than him....
                            Can't remember how long ago it was (at least 8 years), but that was a question on Teen Jeopardy: "Paul McCartney was in this band before Wings." Nobody got it. One contestant said "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" and another responded "Paul McCartney was in a band?"
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

We have a great local radio station that plays stuff from the 60s through the 80s...one of their promo ads has soundbytes of kids in the background, and the voiceover says "You don't know the words to THEIR music...how come they know the words to YOURS?" so true!

Comment

Amazing that I've missed this thread before now...

I'm 28, and have known what a B-side was since I was about ten, when I got hooked on vinyl (after I'd gotten my first CD player, no less). Before that, I grew up listening to cassettes, and 8-tracks (found a box of 'em in our basement sometime back in the late '80s, and listened to them until one of them developed sticky pinch roller syndrome, and ruined the player. )

Now, I have several hundred records, and a couple of dozen turntables, my favorite currently being this bad boy.

I am a student of obsolete technology. I collect antique radios, obsolete computers, rotary telephones, vintage stereo equipment, and much much more. Heck, I've even started collecting calculators. And VCRs being old and outdated? How about Laserdisc, or even Selectavision CEDs?

Oddly enough, my parents were into the 'latest and greatest' when I was growing up, or at least that's how it seemed. My father had a stereo system left over from his days in the military, but only used it to listen to the radio, and it eventually went into storage where the turntable and cassette deck had already been. Our only rotary phone was in the basement, and vacuum tube devices were a curiosity, and nothing more. We didn't even have a computer in the house until 1992, when we were handed down an Apple //e. Somehow, I managed to pick up on all this stuff by myself.
                                -Adam
                                Goofy music!
                                Old tech junk!

Comment

Working...
                                X