This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband, the hero!

I woke up this afternoon to see my husband's computer was on, meaning he'd made it home from school. I get up and assume he's in the bathroom so I use my mother-in-law's bathroom, then tap on the main bathroom door before realizing he wasn't in there. I ask MiL where he is, and she goes, "Oh, he's next door telling the neighbors their yard is on fire."

When he got home he heard snapping and crackling. At first he thought someone was in our backyard, which is overrun with bamboo and brush. He peeked out and saw fire next door. He went over, and when he realized no one was home, he went to their backyard and stomped out the flames. He didn't see where their water hose was, so he came back to our house and grabbed a big stewpot and filled it with water to wet down the area and make sure it didn't flare back up. This was when we ran into each other and he asked me to grab another pot and help.

By the time I got there there was smoke rising in a few places but the fire was out. I poured my water where I could still see smoke and then said I was gonna find the residents and let them know what happened. I considered calling the fire department as we're under a burn ban, not to get them in trouble, but so they could keep an eye on the situation and make sure we were doing everything right to keep it under control. Instead, I went back to our house and asked MiL where they worked, then went to the restaurant where the husband worked and let him know what was up.

Apparently he'd hired some kids to cut down some of the brush in the yard. From what the neighbors told us, it looks like they decided that was too much work and they decided to burn it down instead, then ran off when it started to spread rather than put it out. The fire was feeding off of what looked like sawdust that covered the ground and had spread to the edge of their property and was heading towards ours and up the hill back to their house. Total charred area left over was about the size of an average room. Hubby said when he got back there, the fire was on the lawnmower, which was filled with gasoline; he pulled that back right quick and basically took a big piece of plywood that was back there and used it to smother the ring of fire.

So, in short, there's one less wildfire in Louisiana thanks to husband's firefighting efforts. If he'd tried to ignore it or had waited much longer, it could have taken our yard and house, or even the town.

1) He deserves a hero's reward... from you anyway. I'd give him a kiss, but he's yours and across the country from me.
    2) I am so so happy nothing exploded or died.
    GO HUBBY~!
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Three cheers for your hubs...
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

That's freaking amazing! Your husband rocks!!

And I hope those kids get punished for what they did, because oh my god that was just horrifically stupid. Things could've gotten SO bad!
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Yay hubs! Boo stupid kids!

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
            Apparently he'd hired some kids to cut down some of the brush in the yard. From what the neighbors told us, it looks like they decided that was too much work and they decided to burn it down instead, then ran off when it started to spread rather than put it out.
            Stupid, stupid kids! They should be made to pay for damages!

Hooray for your hubby! (And you, you helped of course. )
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Good work. I agree report those idiots before they burn down the whole town. What part of burn ban did they not get?!
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The wife said she saw them just after they left (at her work or something, I think) and made a comment that they smelled like smoke. They looked at her shifty-eyed and said, "No we don't." Then booked. If it had been me I would have immediately checked the property; but this lady, while she's very sweet, isn't the brightest bulb in the box.

I have a feeling the kids are going to get in trouble, but most likely only personally and not legally. I think the neighbors are more scared they'll get fined for the fire because it was on their property. I also think the kids might be family members of theirs, nephews or something, so they don't want to get them in TOO much trouble. Either way, the husband was NOT happy. If anything juicy happens I'll update, but I doubt it will.

Comment

I dunno...if they did get fined I'd make the kids pay it. They should learn a lesson from this. They did something stupid and dangerous and they're just lucky the didn't cause major property damage or someone's death.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                  X