This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: these premises protected by attack cactus

People think I'm joking when I say that my and my boyfriend's apartment is guarded by a vicious attack cactus.

I am not.

I got it from my grandmother on Thanksgiving several years ago. She had them growing in troughs in the ruins of an old garage near her house. Note that she did not have them by her house, or in it, or anywhere right beside it. They were a nice, safe distance away. However, me being young and stupid, and seduced by the beautiful yellow and orange blossoms of these cacti in the summer, I asked her if I could have some to put in a pot. I planned to set the pot out on the porch of the house my parents and I had just moved into.

She agreed because it's as easy as pie to transplant an attack cactus. Hell, just let one of its paddles fall off and hit the ground and it will start growing. And so that was how I obtained the cactus.

Over the years it mutated some... mostly it just produces millions of these vicious little red spikes that embed themselves in anything that touches them. However, from time to time it will grow out a big long spine that's white at the paddle and red at the tip. We had a cat who poked out an eye on one of those.

For whatever reason, I decided I wanted to keep this cactus when I moved out on my own. It's the only thing I have that was my grandmother's anymore, so maybe that's it... but I think she would understand if I were to abandon it in a parking lot some dark night and then flee on foot. It's evil.

It's also very heavy. I don't remember how I got it moved first and second times it went with me. The third time I sacrificed a towel because the towel was covered in those red spines. That was when my roommates christened it the "Dread Cactus Roberts." When I moved in with my boyfriend, two garbage bags and a pair of scissors gave their lives for the cause.

And now today. They're pressure-washing the walls of the complex and sent a note around to everyone saying that if you don't mind having your plants destroyed you can leave them out, but otherwise you will have to bring them in.

We brought it in. We think we got most of the spines out, although that was a process that involved standing outside while my boyfriend went over my jeans with tweezers, and I can still feel one stuck in my upper right thigh.

Basically, if you touch the pot that it's in, you get the spines in your fingers. Brush against the pot and you get the spines in your clothes. And, because it's always dropping paddles and dead pieces of itself, heaven help the woman who lives below us because there are gaps between the boards in the breezeway that let all the spines trickle down to her.

Currently it's sitting on a piece of cardboard by a window in our living room, the cactus and several stalks of clover that you can't weed out because if you try you'll get spines in your hands. And my boyfriend just informed me that in all the time he's lived in this complex, they've sent that pressure-wash notice around three or four times and have never once acted on it. He's of the mind that they damn well better do it this time, and I agree. Moving this thing is an ordeal. Hell, even getting near it is an ordeal, and we still have to get it back outside because it's far too dangerous to keep in the house.

But for now it keeps watch by the window. Waiting. Waiting for victims...
    Drive it like it's a county car.

LOL You are too funny. Do you have a blog? If you don't, you should. I like cacti and succulents. They won't grow in this climate. (I'm cheap and keep the heat at 55F to 60F in winter. Plus, it's too humid.) I once killed a cactus by overwatering it, too. I would like to have one that grows to a large size.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I got a cactus spine in my finger once. It was seriously about a millimeter long, but the intense horrible pain was out of all proportion to the size of the spine piece. One of my co-workers told me lots of cowboys died of sepsis after getting cactus spines stuck in their fingers so I spent an hour and a half trying to lever the damn thing out with a needle and lots of alcohol swabs. Hurt like a motherfucker but I got it out eventually.

Later I told my husband this story and he laughed and said it would have walled of and fallen out on its own like any splinter. I hate my (now ex) co-worker.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        LOL You are too funny. Do you have a blog? If you don't, you should. I like cacti and succulents. They won't grow in this climate. (I'm cheap and keep the heat at 55F to 60F in winter. Plus, it's too humid.) I once killed a cactus by overwatering it, too. I would like to have one that grows to a large size.
        This one probably would grow in your climate. It thrives in the wet and the cold. I'm in Western North Carolina where the weather frequently exhibits both of those characteristics and is humid the rest of the time.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        I got a cactus spine in my finger once. It was seriously about a millimeter long, but the intense horrible pain was out of all proportion to the size of the spine piece. One of my co-workers told me lots of cowboys died of sepsis after getting cactus spines stuck in their fingers so I spent an hour and a half trying to lever the damn thing out with a needle and lots of alcohol swabs. Hurt like a motherfucker but I got it out eventually.
        I have a vivid memory of killing a pair of my mother's gloves sometime around the entrance of the attack cactus into my life. I remember they were gray and ended up studded with those horrible little spines from finger to palm.
        Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 09-29-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Too bad I didn't have one of those in my driveway when my nasty neighbor came around looking to start an argument.

Somebody a few streets away has a bunch of cacti growing inside of an old bathtub, sitting right outside their house. Maybe they could spare a piece...
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You got a picture? I am a plant fiend and I would love to see it.

Comment

Here you are, Kinkoid:

And a closeup. Each one of those little red buds is dozens and dozens of of those little red spikes. They break off in your skin.

Comment

This reminds me of the killer rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It only looks harmless.
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I grow one similar to your's. I got it out on the prairies of Nebraska. It sit in a crumbling clay pot off the corner of the porch. And yes the spines take forever to get rid of.
                  "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Oh, okay, yeah. Looks like a prickly pear. I have some of those growing randomly around my place. I put some into a strawberry jar with some other cacti and you're right, the spines are VICIOUS. And if you're unfortunate enough to get the awful little "invisible" spines that look like hair, you're going to end up a miserable creature.

Never handle it without gloves that you don't mind tossing away afterwards. Either that, or hard, smooth leather gloves the spines won't go into.

But you cannot beat the georgeous yellow flowers. Cacti and succulents really do have the most beautiful flowers, don't they?

Did you know you can eat this baby?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      Nopales and tuna. And why native born Israelis (like my DIL) are called sabras.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                        I wouldn't dare. I wouldn't put it past this baby to eat somebody. Every time I come home I expect to see a shredded ski-mask and a melange of half-digested bones scattered around the pot -- the remains of some hapless would-be burglar.

In all seriousness, I've had it before and it's delicious -- especially pickled. And you're right, the flowers are a sight to behold... that dark orange-red at the center and that perfect yellow on the outer edge.

Comment

elmer's glue. Smear it over the invisible prickles and peel it off. Might be able to also go with the prewaxed waxing strips. Also works for fiberglass prickles.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

ok that is the most evil plant I have ever seen. I swear I could see that thing crawling across the floor.
                            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

You know what's ironic? I accidentally stepped on one of mine raking pine straw off my lawn several hours ago. A big section of it fell off.

I picked it up with my heavily gloved hands (after all, it's so...benign looking, isn't it? Surely those little prickles would never get through a pair of leather gardening gloves, right?)

Ha ha ha. I've got them in the web of my thumb on my right hand. I can't even see 'em.

I never. Freaking. Learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X