Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Old 08-13-2020, 12:00 PM
Area Manager

SpyBot doesn't want to download, for reasons unknown to me. I'm trying again, for the umpteenth time.

My Yahoo! account works sometimes, but not often enough.

Facebook loads for a little while, then quits.

I did disable several apps that might be causing a problem, but this issue hasn't been resolved yet.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:55 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

Spybot - The first "ad-free" link from my link above worked for me, tho I had to click the "If the download does not start..." thing to get it.

Definitely something going on.

A thought does occur to me: Do you hear any odd clicks while the system is on? If so, your hard drive is damaged and dying. Even if not, it could be worthwhile to run a disk check.

Shut down any programs/apps you have running (even from the Taskbar)

Open a command prompt (go to the start menu and type cmd -- that should bring up a menu. Right click the "command prompt" line in that menu and choose Run As Administrator

In the box that appears, type the following (or copy-paste):

chkdsk c:

This will check the drive for errors but not DO anything yet. If any "Bad Sectors" are found (literally physically damaged parts of the drive), the drive is permanently damaged and will need to be replaced when you can. Run the following to attempt to repair any bad sectors and recover data from them; this should also mark those sectors as "unusable." This should allow you to continue using the drive until you can replace it.

chkdsk c: /r

(Assuming you only have one hard drive, or if you have multiples and you boot from C: check other drives by substituting their drive letter for C) - Give it a while to run, especially with a 1TB or larger drive (go make a sandwich, maybe even watch some TV). As before, run in Safe Mode if at all possible to prevent other programs from interfering.

If the disk checker gets hung up and freezes, hit CTRL-C to force it to cancel.

If it asks you to run chkdsk on the next (re)boot, I suggest saying yes. This will force it to, well, do exactly what it suggests, running the check before booting into Windows to make sure nothing can interfere. In that case, shut down once you're ready/have nothing else to do on the system for awhile and let it reboot. You can force it to do this by running this command instead:

chkdsk c: /r /offlinescanandfix
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 08-13-2020, 04:40 PM
Area Manager

The computer case is a few years old, but the hard drive is new. Or the SSD drive is new. I would know if I could access my email account and check the emails from the place where I bought it. This is a reputable place, by the way, and comes highly recommended.

The guy at the computer place did say that he thinks the computer has a problem with my external hard drive, and suggested moving certain things to the hard drive. Which I did, and I haven't had problems since then, until this Internet fiasco.

I just updated Windows 10 today, and restarted the computer, but I still can't access my regular email. I have trouble loading Facebook, too.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:32 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

All I can help with is maybe the email -- If your Outlook mail is accessible via the web, Win10's Mail app (built in) should be able to access it.
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 08-14-2020, 02:51 AM
Assistant Manager

I know there are some malware and viruses that will stop the download and install of antivirus programs. I wonder if that is part of what's going on here.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:33 AM
Area Manager

I followed instructions from someone in Microsoft Community, and now, things are working. I cleared the DNS cache, among other things. Does this mean I'll have to do the same thing in another few months?

Old 08-14-2020, 11:04 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Hopefully not; if it's taken a long time for this to happen (I assume you've had this system for a while), you may not have to do it again for a long time. I guess just keep the instructions in a text file in Documents, just in case. I'm gonna try that, myself, as it might help with some oddities I've been experiencing lately.