This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome update. Hope it works out.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Congrats, den!

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

Much better!!! If you're first on the waitlist, approximately how long are they thinking?
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          If you're first on the waitlist, approximately how long are they thinking?
          They said it could be anywhere from tomorrow to a few months...desperately hoping it's the latter.

Comment

I'm sure you are! What a difference those few blocks make, at least as far as I'm told. Closer to Washington Park, I think - but the other side of it?

How are things at the Drop?

Will pray for a speedy waitlist!
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Closer to Washington Park, I think - but the other side of it?
              Bingo! Couldn't ask for a better location actually. I'm literally a few blocks away from virtually all the Metro routes.

How are things at the Drop?
              Not too bad, though I'm getting sick of having to sleep on my bag to guard my stuff. I just try not to get involved in the drama there, and thankfully my caseworkers are a godsend!

Comment

At the risk of sounding a bit mean, you caseworkers are probably grateful to have a client (you) who is decent. I'm quite sure most cases aren't so much.

The Drop can be crazy...I'm sure you're best in avoiding the drama and squabbles that go on there.

Keep us posted!

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                  I just try not to get involved in the drama there.......

And that is one of the most important things you can do, in your situation.

In both the Drop, and in the Transitional, you'll undoubtedly find some decent people, that like you, simply want to get their lives back in order, as you do, and get back into permanent Housing, but there will always be those that create/participate in the drama.

Make friends, on whichever level you are comfortable, with, with whomever you feel comfortable in doing so, (and where the desire is mutual), and it can be mutually beneficial, and can give you social interaction that can stave off depression and the feeling of being alone.

The fact that you have such a deep appreciation of your Caseworkers, is also a positive. It makes you more naturally a "Team".

And really, what Peppergirl said; your Caseworkers probably really appreciate your cooperative attitude. In my mind, they probably just naturally want to be as helpful as possible to you, and maybe even go the extra mile. Not everybody is going to be so cooperative, whether it's related to Mental Health issues, Addiction issues, or simply being an asshole.

I don't toot my own horn too often, but will say that I'm just basically a nice guy, and I think it really comes across well. I believe, that as much help I had getting through my own Homelessness, and getting back into, and continuing Medical Care, and how so many things just "fell into place", my being cooperative with Staff in both cases, the other Residents in the Tent Encampment and Transitional, following the Rules and expectations, helped play a big role as well.

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

I'm so happy you have a place to stay! It's reminding me to be grateful for what I have.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                      Bingo! Couldn't ask for a better location actually. I'm literally a few blocks away from virtually all the Metro routes.

Not too bad, though I'm getting sick of having to sleep on my bag to guard my stuff. I just try not to get involved in the drama there, and thankfully my caseworkers are a godsend!
                      Dendawg, I just found this thread. Sorry to hear about your situation, and I'm pleased things are on an upturn for you. I know the Drop-Inn Center is not the ideal place, and I'm hip to that whole 'guard your stuff' thing. Yes, I've been there - and I hope you get out of there very quickly.

Good luck to ya! Keep us posted, okay?

Comment

Just got off the phone with the lady from Tender Mercies, and there's an opening possibly coming up within the next two weeks...Is that light I see at the end of that tunnel? Dare I hope? I'm almost in tears at the possibility! (not sad tears)

Comment

Oh, I'm very happy for you!

The drop gets crazier in the winter and I'm sure you'll be even more glad to get out of there.

The good thing is that you'll still be near the Metro lines. Do you get out from time to time and go to your sisters?

Comment

The good thing is that you'll still be near the Metro lines. Do you get out from time to time and go to your sisters?
                            Not now, but maybe later when she's hopefully not so paranoid about the little brown bloodsucker problem I had before coming to the drop.

Comment

den, fingers are tightly crossed, and I'll be waiting in the wings until it's time to heartily shout out "Congrats!"

Mike
                              Meow.........

Comment

Happy ending time!!!

Just got the word: I move into Tender Mercies TOMORROW!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X