This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complainer at UPS

Saturday I went to the post office to mail a package. After looking at the line of about 45 people and the amount of people working (One!) I decided oh hell no, and figured I'd try a UPS store instead.

Yesterday on my lunch break, I drove over to the UPS store. There were two registers, and a customer at each. I was the next in line. An old lady comes in behind me, says she has a doctors appointment and can she pretty please go before me. I'm not in any major rush, and she was polite, so I said she could.

And then the bitching begins. The people at the registers have fairly complicated transactions, expensive things that need insurance, and so on. a 3rd employee comes out of the back, picks up some packages, and goes back to wherever he came from.

The old lady starts bitching "Don't you hate it when employees stand around doing nothing when people are waiting. Look at him, just going in the back. He probably doesn't want to do anything. And why are these two so slow? why don't they open another register?"

I say "well, it looks like that guy is sorting packages, you know, so they get sent out for delivery? And it appears that there are only two registers, so I don't know how they could open a 3rd one. It looks like these 2 ladies are doing the best the can. I think having a little bit of patience will get us all out of here faster"

the closest cashier smiles at me and says "Yup. only have the two registers"

The lady FINALLY makes it to the cashier and starts rapid firing questions at her. "Is this more expensive then the post office?" (Who cares? I'll pay more for not having to wait in line for 3 hours. Cashier tells her they use the same program as the post office) and on and on. when the cashier asks for her name she sighs and says "Do we REALLY have to go through this?" (Yes, says the cashier, if you want to ship it) during this time, the lady is literally climbing onto the waist high counter to sit on it.

Finally they get to a total of 22.43. And the old lady FREAKS out. Starts yelling about it being more expensive, they are ripping her off, etc. She grabs her package and storms out.

I go up and my entire transaction takes maybe 5 minutes top. I pay 14 bucks, which seems a little high, but I am more than willing to pay a little bit more if I don't have to deal with the post office.

I hope the post office charged her .10 more than UPS was asking.

Comment

Not sure what it is lately, but UPS does seem to be a lot more expensive lately - especially with the advent of those Flat Rate boxes from USPS. However, I surewouldn't be ranting about it. Its not the employees fault. Sounds like the SC was the typical Cranky Old Bat you see on half of the pages on this site

Comment

UPS is more expensive, but they tend to get the packages there faster and have a smaller delivery window. You get what you pay for in a case like this.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
          UPS is more expensive, but they tend to get the packages there faster and have a smaller delivery window. You get what you pay for in a case like this.
          Honestly, given the state of the post office, I was willing to pay just about anything to avoid massive lines.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
            Honestly, given the state of the post office, I was willing to pay just about anything to avoid massive lines.

Get a Stamps.com account. Print out your postage ahead of time. Huge timesaver.

Comment

Quoth April View Post

Honestly I have to compliment my local post office this year. I went in to buy stamps for cards and the line was out the door. I wasn't in a hurry, but definitely wasn't looking forward to that wait. They did have an employee at every station, so that was good. Then I noticed they also had an employee "directing traffic", asking people what they were there to do and sending them to the self-serve kiosks is appropriate, with another employee by the kiosks to help customers use them. The "traffic director" also had a hand held POS machine for people who were just there to buy stamps. I couldn't take advantage of that as I needed international stamps, but that service got about 10 people out of the line within minutes, then the dozen or so people who could be directed to the kiosks, and a wait that I had initially expected to take at least an hour took about 15 minutes.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

This is why I love it when I can just go to the self-service kiosk at the local post office. I haven't figured out which one it is here in our new town, but it has been such a time-saver on so many occasions.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                  Get a Stamps.com account. Print out your postage ahead of time. Huge timesaver.
                  The USPS website does it too, and you don't pay the Stamps.com monthly fee. That is how I always shipped when I was selling on the big auction site. I wouldn't even have to stand in line when I dropped everything off.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                    I haven't figured out which one it is here in our new town,
                    The "Find USPS Locations" on http://www.usps.gov/ includes a Self-Service Kiosks selection.

Comment

I'm on a budget, but given the choice of waiting in line for an hour to save a buck or two is not only unappealing, it's stupid.

It's one of the reasons I no longer shop at Mart of Wal. Like I recently told my mother, I hope I'm never put in a financial to HAVE to stop shopping at Publix. I really think I'd be in jail if I had to shop at my local mart of Wal...it's horrifying.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

This time of year, everybody (including the P.O.) hires temps. Our regular people know where to leave packages, bless them.

My poor husband is only getting one thing to unwrap on Christmas and his birthday (in early January) because the temps have been leaving the packages just inside the gate. Result: our dogs open the packages. Thank goodness they haven't destroyed anything. But I'm still sad about it.

And he's being good* and not buying me chocolate this year.

*I'm losing weight, and watching my blood sugar. (One year I opened seven pounds of chocolates!)
                        I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                        - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Did she make it on time to her doctor's appointment? Things like this are probably why she had to go in the first place.

And, if time was so valuable to her that she needed to go ahead of you, why did she waste all of this time ranting when it was her turn?

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                            This is why I love it when I can just go to the self-service kiosk at the local post office. I haven't figured out which one it is here in our new town, but it has been such a time-saver on so many occasions.
                            I use the kiosk whenever possible just to avoid the lines inside the lobby. Especially when I'm stopping after work and tired enough as it is and I just need to get postage to mail off letters (or Christmas cards.)
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Note that, for certain shipment types, buying and printing your own postage at USPS.com is actually *cheaper* than doing it in person You just gotta know the dimensions and rough weight of whatever you're sending.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X