This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soggy products, care of babies

I understand that babies will want to put things in their mouth, but why must you hand me items that your kid has been slobbering all over?
    I can't count how many times I've thrown something down in disgust because it was covered in infant drool and the parents couldn't be arsed to either tell me, or hold it in a way that I could scan it without touching it.

The most notable instance of soggy products exceeds the realm of even drool.
    This was back when I was working at Wally World.

I'm on cash, doing my regular cash duties when a mother and her son approach. I ring through all of their items and finally ask for the Leap Frog "laptop" that was sitting in the cart. With no warning as to what I was about to get into the mother hands it to me.

I reach for the box, put my hand on it and pull my hand away in horror.
    What did I just touch? Not drool. No, no, VOMIT!

SC: Oh yeah, my son threw up on the box. He suffered a concussion and has been throwing up a lot lately.
    Me: (thinking) AND YOU COULDN'T TELL ME THAT!? Or better yet, wipe it the fuck OFF!? I have to go wash my hands now.

I walked away from the register and went to the washroom to cleanse the hate from my skin, catching the attention of a CSM on the way and telling her she had to finish the transaction and why.

And the kicker?
    A few days later the same woman was back trying to return a Leap Frog "laptop". Was it the same one that was covered in vomit?
    Would I be writing this if it were?
    Nay, she was trying to return last year's model with the receipt from the one she bought from me just a few days earlier.

When she got to returns they instantly spotted the problem, since the barcode number on the receipt didn't match the one on the product.
    Well of course the SC swore up and down it was the same one and that we were all morons. But it gets better.
    The SC actually said, "You can even ask the cashier I bought it from. She'll know!"
    Well the CSM she was dealing with asked her who it was who checked her out and all she could say was, "The blonde with the piercings." And since at the time I was a blonde, and the only cashier with any piercings worth noting, the CSM instantly knew it was me and approached me.
    Yes, I was working when she came in.

The CSM came over, explained the situation to me and asked if I would be able to tell her if it was the same item.
    Now the current model at the time was in a green box with a certain picture on the front. The one she was trying to return (the previous year's model) was in a green and WHITE box with a totally different picture on the front.
    Now I know that box designs are not the final say on the product inside (I'm very aware of the Box Art Nazi) but it allowed me to see at a slight distance that the item she was holding was different from the one she bought.

The CSM then asked me to come over to the returns counter so the customer could, I guess, ask me herself if I remembered.
    To the best of my recollection, here is the conversation that ensued between she and I when I approached the counter.

SC: It was you! You remember that I bought this one, right?
    Me: (looking at receipt, looking at item - I also worked returns so I knew what I was looking for) This isn't the same item.
    SC: Yes it is!
    Me: The barcode number on your receipt is #### and the barcode number on this item here is ####. *shows her both numbers*
    SC: Well that's impossible! You must remember!
    Me: The box you have here is also completely different from the box you purchased.
    SC: Oh come on, how could you possibly remember what the box looked like?
    Me: Because you handed it to me with your kid's puke all over it and now it's forever ingrained in my mind.
    And with that I walked away.

She never got her return.
    Last edited by rerant; 10-18-2007, 01:45 AM.

Me: Because you handed it to me with your kid's puke all over it and now it's forever ingrained in my mind.
    And with that I walked away.
    You rock.

and who takes their concussed and puking kid out shopping, anyway?
    (that was a rhetorical question, of course.)

edit: I never got a pukey book but I've had plenty of drooly books. Some parents were smart enough to bring an extra copy for me to scan, so the kid could continue 'eating' their own. Saves cashier disgust and screaming (the kid's), to boot! I those parents.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 10-18-2007, 01:58 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

People freaking disgust me, sometimes.
      MySpace

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        and who takes their concussed and puking kid out shopping, anyway?
        I don't know why, but that cracked up something awful.
        Maybe it's the light-headedness I'm feeling from being sick.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
          I don't know why, but that cracked up something awful.
          Maybe it's the light-headedness I'm feeling from being sick.
          Well, laughter is the best medicine, so I'm glad.

Feel better!
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

At the grocery store, we had discount cards that went on keychains. Most parents give their babies keychains to play with. Of course it goes right in their mouths. And then right into my hand.

I don't think so!
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I don't handle soggy slobbered-on products babies put into their mouths. I get to handle soggy peed-in and pooped-on diapers babies expelled waste into.

Some dirtbag left a dirty diaper in a shopping cart last week, and because I was on cart duty I had to toss the damn thing.

I should really demand hazard pay
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/re...?date=20060316
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Jeebus Crow!

I'm no doctor, but surely puking from concussion is a clear sign that you should be....oh I don't know, maybe.......IN FREAKIN' HOSPITAL!!!
                  Last edited by Killer Bees; 10-18-2007, 06:45 AM. Reason: Poor keyboarding skills!
                  Total surrender
                  Your touch is so tender
                  Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                  And it brings me relief
                  "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

D'oh, the content is unavailable.

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                      I'm no doctor, but surely puking from concussion is a clear sign that you should be....oh I don't know, maybe.......IN FREAKIN' HOSPITAL!!!
                      I couldn't get over that bit either. Her little one should have been at home lying down.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                        I couldn't get over that bit either. Her little one should have been at home lying down.
                        But the Leap Frog toy was SO much more important.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                          Dontya just love the way the customer just kind of waved it off? "Oh, it's nothing, just a concussion bad enough to make to make my son vomit." What if that wasn't the result of a concussion?
                          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Just...eww. and Wow. Some people are so nervy.
                            "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                              D'oh, the content is unavailable.
                              How odd, the link works for me.

I missed the concussion part the first time around but that woman is insane, bringing a child in that condition out shopping. He should've been in the hospital, or if he'd been released, he should've been resting at home. She should be ashamed of herself.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X