This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Burger Bun Incident

Just remembered an old story. Pretty much all of this story is word for word, as it stuck out so much.

So, very very very busy night, and we had sold HUNDREDS of burgers. So many, that, of all things, we ran out of burger buns. Most of the customers were understanding, and we were offering to put their burgers in normal bread rather than buns. It wasnt a big loss, as about 90% of our intake comes from drinks and not food.

A group of four people come up to the bar.

SW = Sucky Woman
    SM = Sucky Man
    Me = Innocent Employee

SM: Four burgers please!
    Me: Ah, I should inform you that we've actually run out of burger buns...
    SW: YOU'VE WHAT???
    Me: Run out of burger buns, however, we are offering...
    SW: How can you run out of burger buns? How CAN you run out of burger buns?
    Me: Well we have been extremelly busy tonight, and we've run out until the morning, however, as I tried to say before, we are offering...
    SW: We're tourists you know! We've come all the way from up north to come here! And you can't give us a burger!

Yeah, so they've come all the way from up north to drink in the cheapest bar in town! And this is going to be the highlight of their holiday!

Me: Well, we can still give you the burger, but it...
    SW: It wont have the bun! Whats the point without a bun? Answer me! What is the point without a bun?
    Me: Well, as I have been frequently trying to tell you, we are offering an alternative...
    SW: We want a free bottle of wine!
    Me: Ummmm...no. (I was through being nice)
    SW: What do you mean "ummm no"?
    Me: Well, everything on our menu is subject to availability...*I show them the fine print*
    SM: But we're tourists!
    Me: EVERYTHING is subject to availability! If you were to order your burgers and then recieve them without being told we have no buns, then you would have a case for a free bottle of wine, but I have informed you before you order...
    SW: Then why did you tell us?
    Me: Because I would get in trouble if I didnt...
    SM: You dont care do you? YOU DONT CARE! ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS NOT GETTING IN TROUBLE!
    Me: Well...yes.
    SW: We've come from up north for a burger in here! We want a free bottle of wine as compensation.
    SM: And you DONT CARE!
    Me: Well, if you had let me finish, I was going to say we are offering an alternative. Normal bread instead of a bun, so would you like the burgers or not? Because there are a lot of people waiting.
    Me: Well you're not getting one. Are you gong to place an order or not?
    SM: No! We'll go somewhere where they care about us!

They left. I looked and the manager had witnessed the whole thing. He applauded me, saying that if it was him, he would have thrown them out.

Wow. Just wow. You handled it very well though.
    "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
    -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
      Oh, have you seen the flying fists of doom? No? Well let me show then to you!

"You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Note to self: always keep secret stash of buns just in case tourists happen by...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Many Kudos to you for putting up with tag team assholes so well.
          "I'm so sorry brain. I shouldn't have brought you here. Don't worry, I'll take you someplace safe where the bad man's stupidity can't hurt you."

Comment

Those tourists can kiss my buns.

And by the way, I love when people are shocked that restaurants, especially BUSY restaurants, run out of stuff. No business on the planet has an infinite supply of everything, and things run out. Deal with it.

Once again, for those of us who live in tourist towns:

It's tourist season. WHY can't we shoot them?!??!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Reminds me of when we ran out of quarters in the main cage. Lots of pissed off people. We've ran out of hundred's too. That's especially hideous to deal with. People suck, they shouldn't interrupt you.

Comment

And I'm the captain of the Polar Bears!

I hate it when SC's, after being clearly busted, fall back on is how inconvienenced they are. It's like if they run their mouths long enough then the situation will change.

At the hotel we don't have many smoking rooms and on busy days they are always the first to book up. When people ask me why we don't have any more, i really don't know how to answer that. Its either from disbelief or embarassment that THEY of all people were the ones who got screwed.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Note to self: always keep secret stash of buns just in case tourists happen by...
                  Yeah, just make sure they're nice and hard. Those hurt more when you wing an SC upside the head when you throw it at them.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    It's tourist season. WHY can't we shoot them?!??!
                    Note: The DNR (or Fish & Wildlife, Convention & Visitors, what have you) don't find that question funny. The person I spoke to let me know it wasn't funny the last five hundred times she was asked, and hung up the phone.

Now, a loophole here: have they said anything about trapping them? Or catch-and-release, ideally releasing them into the wild out near the interstate?

I'd call and ask but I think I'm already on some kind of watchlist or something...
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

People get shocked when they find out that the A&W drive-in can run out of rootbeer.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

That kind of thing happened to me at Wendy's once. I was stopping in for an order of fries and a Frosty (is it only me and my sister-in-law who think this is a tasty combination?) on my way home from a summer job.

Me: I'd like a large order of fries and a large Frosty please.
                        Cashier: (almost cringing as if expecting me to attack her) I'm sorry. We're out of the Frosty mix.
                        Me: Oh. *blink* Well, I guess I can't have one, then, can I? Well, I'm still hungry, so how about...
                        Woman Behind Me (WBM): You WHAT?!
                        Cashier: We're out of Frosty mix. We won't have any more until early tomorrow morning.
                        Me: I'll have...
                        WBM: You can't DO that! You HAVE to have more. My son and I came here just for Frosties!
                        Cashier: I'm sorry, ma'am. There's nothing I can do about it.
                        WBM: Oh, yes there is! You can just go back there and make some more!
                        Cashier: It's not something we make, ma'am. A truck brings in the mix, and we just put it in the machine.
                        WBM: Well, order some more! Have some sent from another store! I don't care! I came here for Frosties, and that's what I intend to have!
                        Me: (turning around) She said they're out. Out means they don't have any. The next closest store is, like, 30 miles away, so even if they did have some sent over, you'd be waiting an awfully long time for chocolate ice cream.
                        WBM: How can you stand here and TAKE this?! It's WRONG! They HAVE to serve their CUSTOMERS!
                        Beefy Guy in the Corner: Shaddap, ya' cranky ol' b**ch!
                        WBM: F*** you! F*** you all!

At that, she grabbed her kid by the shirt and nearly dragged him out the door. We all got a good laugh out of it, and I got a baked potato with chili. I'll live without my Frosty for another day or two.
                        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                        - IPF

Comment

This is why I hate tourists, they are the Webster's definition of Entitlement Whore. I live in a major tourist town so I definitely empathize.
                          "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                            That kind of thing happened to me at Wendy's once. I was stopping in for an order of fries and a Frosty (is it only me and my sister-in-law who think this is a tasty combination?)
                            No you're not, I absolutely love dipping my fries in the frosty goodness.

Comment

Quoth Jet View Post
                              No you're not, I absolutely love dipping my fries in the frosty goodness.
                              Me and the Giggle Gander do, too
                              "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Working...
                              X