This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth draggar View Post
    Hell, I was called a Satanist because I played Dungeons and Dragons, but I can't find another game out there that's more educational. It teaches you diplomacy, problem solving, math, history, tact, etc..
    Did you ever try Paranoia?

Diplomacy: Learn to intimidate, bootlick, bribe, fast talk, con...
    Problem Solving: How to survive when the odds are stacked against you, including hostile bosses, backstabbing coworkers, and random nutjobs. As an added bonus, you learn the machismo creed: most problems can be solved with large quantities of high explosives.
    Math: Nothing teaches imaginary numbers quite like the Alpha Complex bureaucracy.
    History: Hey, every secret society has its own history! Why learn just one, when you can have hundreds?!
    Tact: Uhhhh... never mind.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

Problem Solving: How to survive when the odds are stacked against you, including hostile bosses, backstabbing coworkers, and random nutjobs. As an added bonus, you learn the machismo creed: most problems can be solved with large quantities of high explosives.
      Math: Nothing teaches imaginary numbers quite like the Alpha Complex bureaucracy.
      History: Hey, every secret society has its own history! Why learn just one, when you can have hundreds?!
      Tact: Uhhhh... never mind.
      In other words, How To Survive in Today's Workplace
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

Problem Solving: How to survive when the odds are stacked against you, including hostile bosses, backstabbing coworkers, and random nutjobs. As an added
        <etc>
        Quoth DGoddess View Post
        In other words, How To Survive in Today's Workplace
        But with high explosives and killer robots!

Comment

My other half and I have bitched about this kind of crap forever. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a movie that was clearly not meant for kids, and as we're leaving someone is carrying their sleeping child out. Cause you know.....it's perfectly normal to cheap out on hiring a babysitter and let your 4 year old sit through Kill Bill or Wild Hogs. (The latter wasn't that bad, but it did have a lot of adult humor in it, which I would not let me daughter see for quite a while). And the video games? Forget it. There's no way GTA will enter my house, period. Not negotiable. And my child isn't going to a house where it is permissible. We made the mistake of letting her watch Spongebob Squarepants where the pirate did some "scary" (for her age) stuff and let me tell you- we lost mucho sleep for about a month after that.

(And I smacked my friend who told me that it's a perfectly ok show, she neglected to mention a few important details).

Comment

Bah, Spongebob.. whatever happened to the days of Ren & Stimpy, eh? Of course rewatching the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie reveals some rather adult humour and situations as well; no naughty stuff, just jokes that most children won't understand (although Ralph's use of "damn" was rather repetitive). Closest I can think of now would be the first Pokémon movie (Mewtwo wanting to kill all humans? Yeah, real children's material there ^_^)
            "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I"ve got a black t-shirt that states:

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

I wear it a lot and love the looks I get.

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Buzzy View Post
                Poo. When I'm a mom someday, I will NOT allow them to play any video games like that. At least, not until they're old enough to know better.
                The problem is 90% of parents do NOT think this way and they allow the tv/ps2/gun toting redneck of a stepdad to be the primary role model to kids.

[rant]

I grew up playing video games and when I walked the streets playing "Bad Dudes" on my Nintendo i knew the difference between beating someone up in real life and playing a video game.

The thing is, violence directed at kids isn't anything new. Remember Tom and Jerry? Wile E Coyote? Ever watch pro wrestling? Or hell, the nightly news?

Stuff like this pisses me off. Things like GTA will always be made because they make lots of money and we live in a society that protects our freedom of expression. So with this as a reality parents need to take responsibility. If they don't and expect "real life" to educate their kids for them, then they have nobody to blame but themselves.

[/rant]

Comment

Stories like this make me love my parents all the more. My mom had the R-rated movies block put on her BB card, and I had to get the store to get her on the phone just to rent me Platoon to watch for a school assignment.

And if my mom, who's not very knowledgable about video games and only moderately internet savvy, can get online to get game reviews to buy DS games for me and my brother for presents, other parents can get online to check out games before they agree to buy them for their kids.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                    I"You cannot see this Timmy, you're not old enough yet!"... but if it's a video game the response is "Aw but he wants it!"
                    I wish they(parents) would want to rid the earth from the burden of their presence...
                    Look, there is a line busy traffic, take this blindfold, walk into it. Go on, its fun, there are doritos as a prize at the end.
                    Last edited by Ackee; 04-19-2007, 01:13 PM.
                    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Oh, yeah, and a fun fact from the world of the Department of Justice statistics sheet:

Violent crime per capita has been falling steadily and is currently less than half of what it was just 15 years ago. The rates from 1973 (when they started keeping records) till 1994 fluctuated, but were essentially stable. Anyone who tells you things are more violent now needs to do a little more research.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I did a term paper in my College Lit class about violence in the media vs violent behavior. My argument was that sometimes, people were just prone to violence, regardless of what's on TV. A great example I cited was that in Japan, where there is little to no censorship, and a hundred million programs showing people spraying 5 gallons of blood when they get a paper cut (and let's not forget tentacle rape), not to mention it's the home of the majority of videogames, and they have the lowest murder/violent crime rate in the world. More people were murdered in New York City in like 1 month that the entire country of Japan in a year.
                        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Bottom line, the majority of the responsiblility lies with the parents. It's not the media's job to censor their own content for fear of a minor viewing it. As long as its rated properly, it's the parents' responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                          X