X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
    snip
    I was going to quote the appropriate bits then just say "this" but I realised I was quoting the whole thing, only substitute house for apartment and sister for brother!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

It's week 3 of my confinement .... err I mean post-op The universe has, amazingly enough, aligned for me in so many ways this week!

First, I got my stitches out YAY. This means I. CAN. SHOWER. Joy joy joy!

Second, my son's car crapped out. Not good you say? Au contraire! If there was EVER a good time for this, it's when my car is not being used because I can't drive (my surgery was on my right foot). So he gets to put his car in the shop and have it repaired and is able to use my car. Which also keeps my car from sitting for the full 6 weeks.

Third, I mentioned in a post - way back up THERE (somewhere) - that I have to move. My lease runs out at the end of May and landlord won't renew because his sister needs a place to live. I get it, it's family. But I've been stressing on finding a place while under confinement ... err I mean recovering from surgery ;-) I love where I'm living, but if I can't live in THIS house, I'd like one about the same price and about the same distance from work, my kids, etc. My landlord did say that if I found a place before the end of the lease, he would not hold me to the lease (legalities involved, but still a nice gesture).

I mentioned this to my neighbor this past weekend. He knows the owner of the house across the street that I have been watching be remodeled for the past two years. The guy thought he had it sold, but he was informed 2 weeks ago that the buyers backed out. So now he's wanting to rent it. It's a slightly bigger house, but the same price as I am paying. Can this get ANY better?? So I contact the guy, look at the property .... and I'll be moving in next month. Woo Hoo!!!!

Oh, and just a little pat on the back to me. While I've been out, I found out who they brought in to my job to replace me. I'm a shift lead - better than a customer service associate, but not as powerful as a manager - a keyholder, basically. The company brought in an Assistant Manager from another store to replace me! I can't tell you what that does to my ego!

So, yeah, week 3 of my confinement ... errr I mean post-op has been very very good to me!!!!

Comment

I'm glad everything is working out for you.

I really have to giggle at the ad the has appeared at the bottom of your last post. It is for a security company and the tagline is 'you can avoid unwanted activity at home.'

So I am guessing that you are still glued to that chair?
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

^ mine is download hundreds of Ebooks Without Spending a DIme lmao

Comment

If'n ya don't mind Reddit, there's a sub there called FreeEBooks you might wanna check out. They often have time-limited (2-3 days) Kindle books on Amazon -- but, once "purchased" (for free), they're yours to keep. Ya don't even need a Kindle, just the free Kindle Reader app for Windows or your phone.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
              I'm glad everything is working out for you.

I really have to giggle at the ad the has appeared at the bottom of your last post. It is for a security company and the tagline is 'you can avoid unwanted activity at home.'

So I am guessing that you are still glued to that chair?
              Yep still in the chair. ROFL on "avoid unwanted activity at home" .... it's all unwanted at this point! I'm starved for real face-to-face with people!!!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                Yep still in the chair. ROFL on "avoid unwanted activity at home" .... it's all unwanted at this point! I'm starved for real face-to-face with people!!!

Well, there's always Skype, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp or Facetime if you are on iOS

Comment

Quoth raw1989 View Post
                  ^ mine is download hundreds of Ebooks Without Spending a DIme lmao
                  I am like you. My list of free downloaded ebooks is at 253 titles.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That is awesome news on all fronts. You got to have some quality time with people you love, and you don't have to fret about where you are going to move to.

And a shower, what bliss!

Nagging ensues: Now that you have a place to move to, you are probably going to get pretty twitchy thinking about the packing. Do NOT give in. Getting the stitches out just means that the skin has healed, it does NOT mean that your foot has healed.

I know that you have been good, but now that your sitting pain level is pretty close to non-existent, its really easy to "forget" and over do things.

Keep your butt in your chair!

I have 4 large and overfilled bookcases. I cannot buy anymore bookcases, which means that I have to weed out the books I have but no longer need/want if I want to buy more books. I love dead tree books.

A couple of weeks before my surgery, a friend gave me an e-reader. I thought that was a very nice thing to do, but also thought that it was the sort of thing I'd not use because I liked REAL books.

My e-reader is almost grafted to my hand now. Where I used to grab a book as I was leaving the house, now I check to be sure I have my reader. My library has a ton of e-books available, from best sellers to off stream authors like Scott Sigler*. I can also get audio books downloaded to my phone. All of this is free and can be done just sitting in front of my computer.

*I got hooked on Sigler when I started listening to him reading the adult advisory for Infection. As I recall, he said "This book contains adult language. This book contains sexual content. This book has lots and LOTS of violence!" The gleeful way he said it made me know that it was just the book for me.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                      That is awesome news on all fronts. You got to have some quality time with people you love, and you don't have to fret about where you are going to move to.

I am, I promise! I'm only doing one box a day. I don't have a lot of stuff, so now that I've done like 5 boxes, I'm pretty much done - the rest of the stuff I can't do without until I move. Things like dishes, clothes, etc. What's packed is books, picture albums, my china, extra linens, etc. And since I have to have what's not packed until I move, I'm about done.

Thanks, Slave, for your encouragement ... and yes, your nagging!! You're holding me accountable, and I appreciate it!
                      Last edited by EricKei; 03-26-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Good on you! Now, do not start thinking about the cleaning you will need to do to get your deposit back. It will all have to be redone after your stuff is out, so anything but what you have to do to survive will be a waste of time and could damage your healing.

I am so happy that you are paying attention to my constant nagging. Many people don't realize that what they do during the healing process after it stops being painful can still hurt them a whole bunch.

I think that now that you have been well nagged, all you will need going forward will be encouragement. You won't die of boredom. I promise. You might find yourself talking telemarketers just to hear another voice, but you won't be stupid enough to give out personal information. You might start missing your retail job, but that's just you going stir-crazy. You will recover from the madness once your sentence is over.

Comment

LOL You're so funny, I love it!

I already decided before the surgery that I wasn't doing any cleaning but the bare minimum until I moved out, knowing that I had to move within 2 months of my surgery (this ain't my first rodeo - married 23 years, moved 18 times during that marriage). So yeah I'm cleaning the tub and the toilet, but wiping down counters, killing cobwebs? Ain't happening!

I promise you, I will NEVER be bored enough to talk to telemarketers. I know they have a job to do, but I'm not buying, so just move along to your next call. I'm not rude, but I *will* hang up if they don't accept "no".

I do actually miss my retail job ... well not the job so much, the people I work with. This whole experience has shown me how important those people are in my daily life. Other than my kids - who are making their way into their own jobs and lives - I don't have any family here. So, the people I work with are my friends. I miss them alot! This has also shown me who of those friends are truly friends - they're the ones who call to see if I need anything from the store, stop by to visit when they're off, etc.
                          Last edited by MadMike; 03-27-2017, 12:43 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

TA DA! Doctor released me today!!!

Well, sort of. I can go back to work, but I still have to wear the boot while working. BUT this means:

1. I can go back to work! No more daytime TV for me!!

2. I can drive! Obviously, not with the boot on, but I can drive to work and then put the boot on.

3. I am no longer prisoner in this house!

4. I am no longer dependent on other people's schedules to get where I need to go!

YAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY

And Slave, thank you ... for your encouragement, keeping me accountable, sharing your experience and expertise, and ... most of all, for being a friend!

Comment

Happy dance for you, Hurray!!!

FREEDOM!!!

Interaction with your peers And the SC's Back to the blessed freedom, now you can go out and get all of those little things done for yourself.

I was happy to help, most folks who have never been through this ordeal really don't get how much sitting around on your butt starts to suck after a few weeks. I've been there and I nagged you. Now you can pay it forward

And, btw, happy to be your friend

Comment

And I'm happy to be yours ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X