This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering retraining

So while I'm liking my job as a before and after school care worker, I'm not liking the environment. However, I'm stuck in a catch-22: I have all these jobs which cut into the kids time and if I don't spend time with the kids, the behaviour management issues shoot right up. (To further bring the point home, one of the kids is autistic [albeit high-functioning] and I can't spend time working on overcoming his issues if I'm cleaning or doing admin tasks. To add insult to injury, he either doesn't qualify for extra support or his mum doesn't want it [not sure which] and his mum is hellbent on him fitting in, while also doing everything to basically further alienate him.)

I'm therefore starting to reconsider whether I'd be better off as a nanny. I'd still be working with kids (which I absolutely adore), but the difference would be 1 or 2 kids vs. 15 of them. I know the hours would suck/vary, but if I can snag a spot which pays well, it would be further worthwhile. It'd mean going back and studying in the short-term (extra insult to injury, since I already have 2 bachelors degrees).

What I don't know is whether it'll help me recover from my anxiety and managing my stress issues. Both of them have flared up in recent weeks and I think it's entirely work-related. Parents with mental health issues, how do you guys cope with looking after your children (if you have them)? I know it's not the same, but it would give me some idea of whether this is a worthwhile area for me to retrain in.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X