This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck car ignition suggestions?

So, Kheldarson's car ignition won't turn. As in the key won't budge.

I've tried everything on here aside from the canned air and lubricant suggestions, as I don't have either on hand. Any other ideas, or is this going to be something we end up paying for?

Edit: And tried WD-40, now. Still nothing.
    Last edited by KabeRinnaul; 02-13-2015, 07:08 PM.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Had that happen in my truck. The tumblers in the ignition lock were broken, cost me about $50 if I remember right for the locksmith to redo it. Positive thing was it was fast service done on site through AAA

Comment

Don't EVER use motor oil (one of the tips) - only use a VERY SMALL amount of a lubricant meant for locks. Have you tried putting the key in upside-down? Seriously - most automotive keys are cut on both sides, and sometimes (especially if something is worn) one side of the key will be a better fit to the tumblers than the other. Also, when "wiggling" the key, in addition to trying to turn it, try pushing it in and pulling it out slightly. Sometimes the best lineup of the "bitting" to the tumblers is at an insertion depth slightly off from where it "bottoms out" naturally.

As for hitting the head of the key with a hammer, that's another NO! If your car was made in the past 20 years or so, it's probably got a transponder in the key head that the ECM needs to be told "belongs" to the car. Hitting the head of the key with a hammer could break this transponder - you might wind up with the key turning but the ECM not recognizing it, so the engine won't start.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My grandmothers car had a similar problem recently- the last driver (she gave up her license last year at the age of 89) had managed to turn on the steering wheel lock and didn't know how to release it. It took me a massive amount of effort to get the wheel turned far enough to get it to release.

Comment

Does the ignition switch also lock the steering wheel? If so, it may be that part of the the mechanism that is stuck. You can try moving the steering wheel back and forth at the same you turn the key.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It could be a couple of things. The easiest to fix, is that the steering lock has engaged. You'll have to try turning the wheel before you can turn the key. Another cause, could be that the key is trashed. Newer keys don't seem as robust as older ones--the notches wear, and there's no way in hell you'll get the key to turn. In that case, you'll need a new key. If it's one of those chipped keys, be prepared to fork over $200 for a replacement. Last one could be that the ignition's tumblers have failed.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Please check to make sure that you car is not on recall. Many Chevys have defective ignition switches. I have had mine replaced 4 times.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                If it's one of those chipped keys, be prepared to fork over $200 for a replacement.
                Some dealers charge ridiculous amounts don't they? My car has a chipped key and the dealer only charged $13.50 per key for 2 extras when I bought it.

Comment

My husband and I both have Chevy Cobalts with tricky ignitions. There is a recall so check into that, as Aislin said. My husband had his stuck (to where he couldn't remove the key because it wouldn't turn completely off) and the only way to release it was to take apart the console where the shifter is, as the ignition lock is tied to the button you press to move the shifter from PARK. He found a Youtube video showing how to do it, but I don't have a more direct link for you if this describes your exact problem, sorry.

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                    So, Kheldarson's car ignition won't turn. As in the key won't budge.

I've tried everything on here aside from the canned air and lubricant suggestions, as I don't have either on hand. Any other ideas, or is this going to be something we end up paying for?

Edit: And tried WD-40, now. Still nothing.
                    Ok, lets start with the obvious, what type of car is it? That could make a difference in what will fix the problem.
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post

Ok, lets start with the obvious, what type of car is it? That could make a difference in what will fix the problem.
                      2002 Toyota Camry.

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                        2002 Toyota Camry.
                        Ok, doesn't rotate by the key isn't stuck in there? The only thing that should interfere with it would be the steering lock, otherwise the tumblers have worn out. It sounds like you've tried that, so its likely the tumblers.

Unfortunately with it stuck, changing the tumblers will likely require a mechanic or a locksmith, choose whichever is cheaper. It appears that typically on a Toyota, the change requires removing the underside of the column, turning it to accessory, and pushing a release pin to remove them. Obviously that won't work since its stuck, so a mechanic or a locksmith would likely know an alternative method to release it, otherwise it'd be something you can do yourself.

Here's a good rundown, apparently its not the most uncommon problem: http://youtu.be/KuZhKP2-k38
                        Seph
                        Taur10
                        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Any updates? I'd be curious to know what the problem was.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Any updates? I'd be curious to know what the problem was.
                            Just a worn-out key. Ignored the tow thing and got a locksmith out. He did what he could on-site, and we have a key that works for now. We're taking it to their shop for a proper fitting for new keys once we have a good day for it.

Hopefully soon. My car's brakes are grinding, and my work schedule makes it nigh-impossible to find the time to take it in to get them replaced. I'm hoping we can go back to using her car or my next day off (Thursday) comes before I ruin the rotors or something.

Comment

A dealer can cut a new key without the old one. I had to do that with my old Honda. My old key wasn't chipped, so it only cost 7 bucks. If it's just a worn out key and not the tumblers or anything else mechanical, just pop into the nearest dealer. It should take them about five minutes to verify ownership, pull the VIN, and make a new key.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X