Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to stay sane until my neighbours get evicted...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I can't offer you a place to stay, Giz. The States would be rather far, I'm afraid.

Let me know if you suddenly need an alibi . . .

Comment

Don't use Morgana as an alibi. She looks guilty as sin and you'll end up in far worse trouble...

Yes...of course I was with Morgana...all night...at the naked pagan dance on the hill... sacrificing small animals...er actually ok I was at home pummelling a neighbour pest to death
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Are you permitted to modify the structure of your apartment? Additional insulation, including an insulated door with foam around the edges and a floor roller, can act as a sound barrier.

If you do form such a sound barrier, be sure that either you can hear the communal fire alarm, or you have an extension of the alarm system inside your flat. The fire department will know how to test the former, or arrange for the latter.

If you're not permitted to modify the structure but are permitted to decorate, I hear that cork feature walls are 'in' ...
        (Yes, there are cheaper insulative 'decorative' materials, too.)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

May I suggest the 1812 overture?
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
            I so second this.

I used to use it against my brother when he was driving me nuts.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I use the 1812 Overture as my ringtone.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                As a performance... Mit Kannonen!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  The male friend has suggested more to add to the arsenal...

This at full volume and bass or anything by Cozy Powell... perhaps whilst my nice neighbours are at work...and CNH are still sleeping off a long night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFal0CC4Cmw

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tN6_1dJveM

Or... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5GnxehXDys

I have 42k tracks here from our defunct radio station... don't tempt me... lol
                  Last edited by Gizmo; 05-01-2015, 03:06 PM.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    Don't use Morgana as an alibi. She looks guilty as sin and you'll end up in far worse trouble...

Yes...of course I was with Morgana...all night...at the naked pagan dance on the hill... sacrificing small animals...er actually ok I was at home pummelling a neighbour pest to death
                    Kit, honey, just because you ain't never seen my 'poor innocent me' impersonation . . .

Comment

I have four flats in agreement with the make them regret it in the morning... Why?

Because the fire alarm went off at 10pm, they not only didn't stop their music but got in my face as if it was us disturbing THEM and how dare we... And they'd been smoking the horrible smelly weed earlier and actually gave me a headache from the weed. Fire alarm turned out to be false alarm and fault went away on panel reset once the sweep had been done by the Fire department and the maintenance company.

(no issues with weed myself btw - the issue with the effect on the rest of us).
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I'm in the US and our laws a bit different, but I do have experience with this kind of thing. First, I DO NOT recommend being loud yourself. That only gives evil, vindictive people ammo against you. They could, if they wanted, get YOU in trouble for being loud.

My solution to staying sane when we had a landlord who liked to play drums right over my head, and when we lived in a bad neighborhood next to the party animals, was to get some over-the-ear headphones and wear earplugs under them. Put on whatever it is you like, and that screens out most sounds pretty effectively. If you can leave during the noise, that's also a good idea (Hubby and I actually bailed and spent the night at my parent's house once), but going to the library or something during the day helps too.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I had already decided operation "noise revenge" was not a good idea for the same reasons WishfulSpirit.... as much as I joke about it out of stress.

Comment

Had people throwing things around the back of the building today and the music is so loud right now that its might as well be in my own flat.

called the "non emergency" police about the throwing stuff... and they did send someone out to check around and called me back to say its all clear... *but* they actually *don't* have the power to break up parties anymore. Thats been given to the councils...

Woman who rang me back was so upset she couldn't do anything...

Comment

Ask an attorney about withholding rent due to the landlord not enforcing a reasonable environment.

Comment

I can withhold management fees but they aren't due until July.

And the management company are doing enough "by law" that it would be found unreasonable to withhold them.

Comment

Working...
                                X