Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely DO NOT let him into your room! It's either the couch or somewhere else.

Also, is your apartment pet-friendly? If so, it might be better to get yourself a dog instead if you want companionship. If not, try putting deadbolt locks on your doors and securing your windows if you feel unsafe.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
      Definitely DO NOT let him into your room! It's either the couch or somewhere else.

Also, is your apartment pet-friendly? If so, it might be better to get yourself a dog instead if you want companionship. If not, try putting deadbolt locks on your doors and securing your windows if you feel unsafe.
      This is a much better idea.

Comment

Argh, so much nope! We have a housemate, but there's NO WAY I'd let him share a room with me, even though he's my best friend and I trust him completely. If nothing else, I need somewhere I can go - I'm an introvert too and I need my own space where I know I'm not going to get disturbed! I would not not NOT let this guy move in with you full stop, let alone sharing a room. He's pushy and if he's not respecting you decisions now, he's not going to respect them when he's moved in.

I definitely second the dog and deadbolt ideas, though.
        I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

I gotta go with the others on this. Absolutely not. This just screams bad idea all over the place.

Comment

Yeah I'm echoing everyone else's thoughts here.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Don't even let him in your place.... very likely that if you do let him sleep on your couch it won't be long after that he starts pressing you to let him set up shop in your room.
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                Don't even let him in your place.... very likely that if you do let him sleep on your couch it won't be long after that he starts pressing you to let him set up shop in your room.
                This. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a total creeper or willing to assault you, he could still take the baby steps approach by pressuring you more once he's there all the time. Easier to wear you down that way, after all.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

So what did you end up telling the guy?
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    sorry to burst your bubble, I was assaulted by someone I knew longer than that(I babysat his damn KIDS for several years). My "absolute certainty" that he wouldn't didn't prevent it from happening.
                    Sorry to hear that. They say that it happens more with a person you know than some perv in the bushes it's true. I was assaulted a very long time ago and so if I had the slightest inkling that he was going to do that, I wouldn't even consider being roomies with him. He knows that I don't tolerate bs like that. It's disgusting.

Anyway, soooo..the general advice is no? That's ....surprising. xD I want to be a friend to him because they are so hard to come by. I told him that he and I won't be sharing a room and he got upset but after I told him he could go to a homeless shelter, he calmed down. He said that he would help me with the rent money and admitted that the reason he wants to move in my bedroom is that he wants the living room free so he could invite his other friends over and have parties in there.
                    While I don't mind get togethers, I only like it with people I know well, and these are acquaintances. I know the whole point of a party is to meet new people, but well, that makes me awkward, and I don't like being awkward tbh.
                    So Jo is going to have to think if he wants to adhere to my rules or not, and if not he has to go somewhere else I think. I'm trying to convince his brother to take him but I doubt he will.
                    Dogs are a good idea, but they need a lot of care and I just don't have the energy nowadays with work and school. Plus Jo has a collection of exotic animals, and my building doesn't accept them. I told him that he has to pay the fine if they find out. So we'll see what happens...
                    Last edited by HotelMinion; 02-28-2016, 09:36 PM.
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                      He said that he would help me with the rent money and admitted that the reason he wants to move in my bedroom is that he wants the living room free so he could invite his other friends over and have parties in there
                      More NO! If he helps pay rent then sure enough he is going to argue that because he is paying rent, then he is entitled to have friends over whenever he wants.

As for friends being hard to come by: one of the best way to destroy a friendship is to be roommates, especially when you have differences about what is acceptable in terms of living in the space.
                      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Wants to have parties in your place and bringing pets that will get YOU evicted if they're discovered? Oh, HELL no.

Comment

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, and you know him better than I do....BUT.... I just see a lot of warning signs here. He seems immature and selfish. He hasn't even moved in yet, but he's already making plans for how it's all going to be. I'm concerned that he's going to take advantage of your friendship, even if it doesn't include anything physical.

If you want to stay friends with him, you're probably better off not having him move in with you.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
                            Wants to have parties in your place and bringing pets that will get YOU evicted if they're discovered? Oh, HELL no.
                            +infinity! This guy is shaping up to be a roommate from hell!

You have no actual responsibility here, you know. Sure, you want to help, but this guy's coming across more and more as a selfish user who will drag you down with him, then bitch because you supposedly didn't give him enough or do enough for him.

Last edited by Seanette; 02-29-2016, 02:40 AM.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

So... how exactly is he going to come up with money to help with rent if he has no job? "I'll get a job!" right? Right...

Still say you should tell him no. No ifs, no maybes. Flat no. Dude sounds even more now like he's looking for someone to sponge off of.
                              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
                                I agree, red flags and alarm bells all over the place. If he's planning out all this now he's most likely expecting you to just let him and be a doormat, I personally wouldn't do it plus the exotic animals thing makes me nervous. If it's one of them small snakes you get from the pet store maybe, but any non pet store/shelter animal and it's a no.
                                ......../\
                                ....../__\
                                ..../\...../\
                                ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                                X