Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK....my company does have an EAP for just this sort of thing, and I have the 800 number for them. I haven't called it yet, but only because I was at work all afternoon and they close at 8PM. I'm planning to call tomorrow and see what happens.

If anything today was worse than yesterday, mostly because one of my co-workers was all bubbly because a former manager came in with her new baby and she got to hold him. She ended up saying some things that were not the least bit meant to be hurtful but struck way too close to what I think is the primary reason I am depressed.

This whole situation sucks.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

There's a few kinds of depression:

Situational Depression - the kind that happens after a big event in your life. Such as a death, breakup/divorce, change in family, that kind of thing. It's short term, it IS depression, but it's related directly to an event. Usually a few months of treatment and you're back to old self.

Dysthymia - the low level kind of depression that is lifelong. It's bringing your norm to lower than normal, and it's easy for you to dip into the depression ditch towards self harm and suicide. This is a depresson due to a chemical imbalance in your head. Dopamine, norepinephrine etc, the chemicals of feeling good, happy, balanced, ok, etc are out of sync. Treatable, need maint meds to keep you stable above your low-norm.

Major Depression - the deep shit. Life long, due to chemical imbalance. Treatable, but need maintence meds to keep you alive.

Manic/Depression - related to bi-polar disease. The deep deep bad depression related to bipolar. You swing back OUT of this, towards a manic happy.* (not always happy, just...excessive non-dark feelings. Can include major spending, mucho sex and overindulging in some pleasure...) This is all related to chem imbalance, but this kind is much different than Major or Dysthymia depression. Can be treated, but depends on which flavor of bipolar you have. This one, think of pendulum. One end high, other end low.

Depression is usually found/diagnosed in the mid20s age group. IMO it's common for mental illnesses to establish themselves by 25-27 yrs old. (Schizophrenia, bipolar, depression like to pop up mid 20s). Depression is also a hereditary disease; common to pass on.
      It doesn't help though, if a depressive parent goes untreated, treats the kids like poop then inflicts even more issues on the kids in later life. So if you think you've got something, ask the doc, check it out, and see what you can do.

Hugs dude.
      Keep an eye on yourself, and also, is this common in the winter/spring months?? (Seasonal Affective Disorder)

Cutenooob
      Last edited by Der Cute; 05-26-2010, 04:48 AM. Reason: Fixed nitpick reason.
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Depression is usually found/diagnosed in the mid20s age group. IMO it's common for mental illnesses to establish themselves by 25-27 yrs old. (Schizophrenia, bipolar, depression like to pop up mid 20s). Depression is also a hereditary disease; common to pass on.
        I'd read late 20s/early 30s, but that's close enough. And I'm 27, so I'm smack in the middle of that (though I think this probably started just before my 27th birthday).

And my brother, well, without saying anything specific about him, he's been on anti-depressent meds for more than half his life. To my knowledge, neither of my parents have ever suffered from depression, but if my brother did, then it stands to reason that I might as well.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Just called the EAP. They're looking for a sliding-scale referral for me and will call back. They also told me that I can always call them for free phone counseling, as many times as I need to, and can even schedule a time to call. Of course, they did acknowledge that that might be somewhat awkward and that face-to-face counseling is likely the better option, plus if it turns out I need meds, obviously the person on the phone can't prescribe it.

Still, it's a first step.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The first step really is the most important. Just knowing that you have made progress towards getting help can actually make a difference.

Also just a little nitpick about Cutenoob's post: manic highs don't really have anything to do with being happy, for some people the do manifest as euphoric episodes but they are just as likely to involve anger, agitation, stress, and paranoia.

Comment

Glad to hear that help was available, and that you were able to take that first step. Best of luck with everything!

Comment

Good for you! So many people think they can just shake it off and that going to a professional signifies some kind of weakness. It really is the best thing to do for yourself.

I hope it works out well for you.
                Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Dave,

If I didn't know better I would swear I was the one who started this thread I have alot of the same feelling and thoughts. It really does help knowing that other people are going through similar things Thank you very much for starting this thread I know how hard it is to put everything on the table like that

Comment

I'm sitting here just having a miserable night. I now have the number for a local community health center that also has a "Behavioral Health" department that - among other things - offers depression counseling. Boy do I need to call it, because I'm definitely not getting any better.

I also think I need to sign off of Facebook for a while. I don't post much, but I do check my news feed often, and lately I've been seeing far too many things that strike too close to home for me, too close to what is making me feel upset.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      Just called the EAP. They're looking for a sliding-scale referral for me and will call back. They also told me that I can always call them for free phone counseling, as many times as I need to, and can even schedule a time to call. Of course, they did acknowledge that that might be somewhat awkward and that face-to-face counseling is likely the better option, plus if it turns out I need meds, obviously the person on the phone can't prescribe it.

Still, it's a first step.
                      While the person on the phone can't prescribe meds, they can at least be a good in the mean time thing. Something to hold you over. Also maybe try to find an activity that can either at least temporarily cheer you up or distract you from the depressing thoughts can help. I know that's not always as easy as it sounds, but finding those activities, whatever they are, while not a fix, can be a great temporary help.
                      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Well, it looks like things are getting worse before they get better. The last few days I've felt worse and worse each day, and today I had a breakdown at work and had to go home early. Even though I really didn't want to, I told my parents that I think I have depression, and the primary reason why I've been feeling so upset.

My mom told me that "if we can afford to fix Tasha's knees," (Tasha is one of our cats) then we could afford to get me the help I need. And my dad reminded me that his company stock option was just bought out, which is netting him a significant amount of take-home cash, and that if some of that needs to go to helping me get better, then so be it.

I had already called the local community health center that I mentioned but thye never got back to me. I don't know if it was bad timing due to the holiday weekend or not, but I was not impressed by the harried voicemail greeting. So we found another place to call, which happily is right down the street from my store, so it should be convenient. I left them a voicemail, and hopefully they'll call back.

I retook the Mayo Clinic depression screening online, and my results now come back as indicative of severe depression. I also have had 3 colleagues separately tell me that they are very concerned about my well being, with one saying she was afraid I was going to do something to hurt myself, and another implying that others had come to her to ask if I was OK. So even if I hadn't realized it myself, I would have been given a wake-up call from my colleagues.

For right now, I just need to get through the weekend and hopefully get to see someone ASAP after the holiday. And I have LifeScope's number in my phone just in case I need to talk to someone before that. But for now it's definitely a comfort to know that I have people there to help me and who want me to get better.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Dave, that's good news. Mostly good news.
                          I want you to check in here over this weekend, ok? Either PM me or post an I'm OK online.
                          Severe depression is not fun, and I've been there. The Magnet of Doom and Gloom hold you back in life when you have severe depression.

Please stick to a routine (sometimes that's all that gets you through a day) of up, shower, breakfast, get outside and get sunshine in you, and then bed/nite.

Also, Vitamin B complexes and Omega 3/6/9 Fatty Acids are nice to have on hand. NatureMade brand, gel capsules, easy to swallow/digest. Those will help your overall mood. But to get truly stable, you need the professional help.

Do not stop after one phone call on Tuesday. Barge in there and demand help. There are so many people asking for help, you get lost in the din of voices. It's especially hard to get up and go somewhere when depressed, so ask Mom and Dad for help.

Hugs and keep us posted,
                          Cutenoob
                          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

What Cutenoob said....

Sending good feelongs your way.
                            Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                              I want you to check in here over this weekend, ok? Either PM me or post an I'm OK online.
                              I will. I promise.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Dave:

If you're having suicidal thoughts, or get into deep blacknesses with no way out, this is probably not for you - you're probably too severe.

However, if not, try Moodgym from the Australian National University.

Anyone who's reviewing this thread and thinking 'you know, my moods could be better', go ahead and play with the Moodgym. The technique works well for most people.

Unfortunately, the most severe cases get trapped by neurochemistry and need that fixed before stuff like the Moodgym techniques can work. (Which is why I'm thinking Dave may need to see a psych rather than a website!)
                                Seshat's self-help guide:
                                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X