Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I use earplugs. He's got one HELL of a powerful stereo.

My landlady said that the neighbor kid used to listen to his music with headphones, but he did it so much that he's partially deaf right now. I'm all for him going ENTIRELY deaf; hey, he did it to himself.

Mikkel, I've been thinking of going on a day trip somewhere. It's a good idea, in theory, but I don't know if I'll make it through the day without freaking out. Yesterday's meltdown was the biggest and by far the most severe I've ever had, and it makes me want to stay home - but home isn't a relaxing place.

This is a serious question - how many lotteries out there are worldwide? I might as well buy some tickets.

Comment

Can you tolerate noise-blocking headphones? (I can't, but many people can.)

I agree that you shouldn't have to spend on/wear such a thing because someone else is being a disrespectful nuisance - but it may be enough to give you periods of calm quiet (or rainforest noises, or whatever you choose to play).
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

First thing's first: you are not allowed to die. I told all you folks when my friend TD died that none of my friends are allowed to die anymore. So stop that. Now.

As for Stereo Boy--I wish I was there. For I would deal with him.

Knock knock. "Hi, I'm Jester. My baby sister Eireann lives next door, and you always playing your stereo so loudly is disturbing her. Please turn it down. Thank you."

If that doesn't work (and no one here thinks it would)....

Knock knock. "Hi. I asked you very politely the other day to turn down your stereo. You ignored me. I'm done being polite. Turn down the music to a reasonable level or I'm going to shove that fucking stereo so far up your ass you'll be tasting Guns n' Roses for breakfast."

If that doesn't work....

Knock knock. Door opens. Jester is standing there with a Louisville Slugger. Jester nails Stereo Boy in the nuts with the bat. While Stereo Boy is doubled over in pain only guys can understand.... "Hi. Remember me? Yeah, figured you might. That stereo shit? Gotta stop. You're an inconsiderate asshole. That ends right fucking now." Jester walks over to the stereo and goes Reggie Jackson on it. "If you disturb my baby sister again, you're going to be puking blood, motherfucker." On his way out, Jester takes a swing at Stereo Boy's ribs, for emphasis.

If that for some bizarre reason doesn't work.....

Knock knock. Door opens. Jester slams Stereo Boy in the face with the blunt end of the bat. "Hi. Now that I have your attention, let's talk." Jester wails full force on Stereo Boy, conjuring up mental images of The Worst Girlfriend Ever, the '97 Rose Bowl, and the Tuck Rule Game just to piss him off. "You don't fuck with my baby sister, motherfucker." Wham! Wham! Wham! "Ever hear of ear phones? Courtesy? Manners?" Wham! Wham! Wham! "You even turn the radio on again, I am going to pull your fucking pancreas out through your throat, you fucking giant pile of shit." Wham! Wham! Wham! "What's that? Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!" Wham! Wham! Wham! "Music is art. It is not noise terrorism. Learn the fucking difference, you donkey-fucking cocksucker." Wham! Wham! Wham! "I'm glad we had this discussion. Now, by all means, enjoy the rest of your day, and I look forward to not having this discussion with you again." Wham! Wham! Wham!

Jester leaves.

I should point out that CustomersSuck.com does not advocate violence against customers. I would like to also point out that Stereo Boy is not Eireann's customer, but her neighbor, and if I end up in her neck of the woods any time soon, the above scenario will not merely be a product of my vindictive imagination.

See, Eireann? All you have to do is buy me a plane ticket and 4 beers (I have a sliding scale), and I'll take care of this irritation to your life. Wait, no. I won't take care of it. I'll remove it. 'Cause that's what Uncle Jester does!

On a more serious note, if you ever feel as horrible as your first post sounded and need to talk, call me at any hour. Even early morning. (You get a special dispensation.) My phone number will be in your PM box after I finish typing this.

I don't believe in violence. I do, however, believe in its effectiveness.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, I already went over there and screamed at him, and it made a difference for a whole two days. This guy thinks that it's okay to crank his stereo, as long as he's not doing it at night. I could retaliate by playing my stereo loudly, but that wouldn't solve anything; plus, it would disturb the occupants of the house where I live, and I don't want to do that.

He doesn't listen to Guns 'n' Roses. Often, it's Madonna. One of those dance mixes. I hate Madonna. I absolutely loathe her. So, not only has he been turning up the volume, he's doing it with something I hate. It would serve him right if I got him with, say, "Helter Skelter", or "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey".

If he could hear it. Which is debatable.

Noise-canceling headphones... maybe. I've never tried them, so I don't know how they would work for me. I was thinking of getting some for my last long-haul flight, but the price scared me off.

Much as I would like to have Uncle Jester hop on over her and take care of Stereo Boy, I'd rather (no offense, Jester) use the money to take MYSELF to the States for a loooong visit. Maybe stopping by Key West on the way to buy him a beer or four.

I'm calmer now than I was yesterday, and certainly calmer than the day before. YouTube is a wonder. Healing mantras, other self-help videos. I do love the site. And this one, of course.

My friend, the one who dealt with the Massive Breakdown Phone Call, was chatting with me last night to make sure I was okay. He's also going to chat with me while he's on vacation (he leaves today).

Thank you all so much for your support. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Comment

Might I suggest a pair of noise-blocking headphones? Not ear buds... these cover your entire ear so that no sound can get in. There's a fairly wide selection with reviews here: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-noise-c...ng-headphones/

Obviously some of these can get quite pricey, but you should be able to get a set for somewhere between $50-$100 if you look for sales.

It's not an ideal solution, but it might get you some peace, which is what it sounds like you desperately need.

Have you considered looking around where you live for a walking group or a tai chi class? You need to find yourself some relaxation techniques before you explode. Feel free to PM me - I've got lots of ideas. We even have a place where I live called "The Quiet Room". It's a place where you can go and rent a room and either have relaxation music or absolute silence in a sound-proofed space by the hour I've never required it myself, but I used to have a coworker who swore by it.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Jester, the mental images you invoked were great!
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                We even have a place where I live called "The Quiet Room". It's a place where you can go and rent a room and either have relaxation music or absolute silence in a sound-proofed space by the hour I've never required it myself, but I used to have a coworker who swore by it.
                That sounds like a great idea...I have tinnitis so I am never in complete silence but I live facing a highway and in hot weather I can't keep the windows closed, so I'm not sleeping too well lately (starting to get used to the noise again, and fans help). I spent the last week housesitting for my parents and the dark and quiet in their room at night was heaven!
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                  Much as I would like to have Uncle Jester hop on over her and take care of Stereo Boy, I'd rather (no offense, Jester) use the money to take MYSELF to the States for a loooong visit. Maybe stopping by Key West on the way to buy him a beer or four.
                  Do you hear me arguing with you?

Quoth Becks View Post
                  Jester, the mental images you invoked were great!
                  Bartender by day, wordsmith by night. It's a living.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Today was somewhat better. I actually went outside and did something. I did a lot of sitting on benches, though, because I still get tired, but at least I got out there. I did a fair amount of walking, too.

Sometimes I start feeling pretty good, but often the realization then comes crashing down.

Comment

Just wanted to leave you this:

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                        Today was somewhat better. I actually went outside and did something. I did a lot of sitting on benches, though, because I still get tired, but at least I got out there.
                        To quote my pain physiotherapist: "Any exercise is better than no exercise."

Good for you.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Seshat, I like your self-help guide.

EDITED TO ADD:

I've been sending out feelers to other companies. I have a business license, so I can work in any other country in the European Union, and they won't have to hire me. I haven't done enough about finding other work. I have one company that may start sending me work - we've signed an agreement - but nothing yet. Another one may also send me work, if they like the test job that I did. Plus, I contacted a company back home, because I want to divide my time between Europe and the States.

It's so good to be able to contact so many people by sitting at my computer.
                          Last edited by Eireann; 06-25-2010, 11:14 AM. Reason: To add something

Comment

Thank you. I find that between the four of them, they can be applied to almost any situation to improve it.

Comment

Along the lines of exercise.. find something you LIKE doing. A lot of people see exercise/the gym as this big torture session. I don't do cardio. I hate cardio. I'm, ahem, well endowed up top and I'm an asthmatic. Never really been a fan of cardio, probably never will be. I spend about five minutes on a treadmill to stretch out my legs and get my heart rate up (3.0 mph on an incline) and then I go lift weights.

I love lifting weights. It makes me feel strong. If I can squat 150lbs, I can sure as hell make it through tomorrow. I'll squat tomorrow if it gives me any trouble. The gym/working out goes from "oh god not that..." to "woo! gonna go kick some butt!"

And it does improve your mood greatly. The first time I really worked out I felt like I was high afterwards. Its less significant now, but that tired/weak sensation and feeling your blood pump does something for the brain.
                              Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I was doing some exercises I learned at a gym. These can be done with or without weights (in my case, without, since I don't have weights at home). I did them yesterday and today. Not a huge difference, but certainly more than I've been doing. Monday's crisis was so severe that I'm not trying to do much all at once. A step here, a step there. I've been doing some guided meditation from YouTube videos, also.

I'd love to be able to pick up and travel somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X