This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
    Yes you see, but that is some of the problem.Take the icecream, I don't know why I ate it I didn't particularly want it and yet................I ate it anyway.
    Advice from my anti-PCOS book for losing weight for people who have a hard time losing weight: make a food diary. I know everyone does this, but there's a catch. When you eat, write down how you feel. You don't have to write down "I ate this because I was worried about my grades", just that "I'm worried about my grades". Look for patterns, and then you'll figure out that you crave chips when you're tired, and you know to rest and take a break, instead of having chips (completely made up out of thin air by the way, just as an example.)

And remember not to replace sugary drinks and foods with non-nutritive sweeteners. Those will screw you up even more, because you'll lose your ability to tell how much you've eaten. I'm not sure I agree with Whiskey's assessment that you should only be drinking water. This is all the more so because if you are perfectly fine with 50-50 tisanes and water, you are better off doing that than constantly having juice or soft drinks because you are tired of water. Even having tea or coffee (black in both cases) is better than sugary drinks.

One of the easiest ways to go low-fat is to go vegetarian. Most of the fat in my diet is from meat, cheese and eggs. You don't have to go all-out vegan, but cheese and eggs aren't a large part of any diet, so you don't need to worry about them as much . Have healthy snacks that you can eat, so you fill up on, for example, carrots instead of going and buying a muffin because you're hungry. If the only thing that will fill you up is a muffin, decide if you want a muffin or if you want to be hungry. Be realistic about if it's reasonable to have the muffin. Consider what else (also unhealthy, but perhaps not quite as bad) would also fill you up. And then eat it, but stop. Don't go "oh well, I screwed up, who cares what I eat now".

And if you find a way to make the above easy, let me know, I could use the assistance .

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
      I hate the treadmill. Its monotonous and so much effort for so little. I really recommend trying Couch to 5K, its a great program.

Free weights are weights that are free. Those tiny 10lb dumb bells are free weights. You seem scared of "free weights", why?

Also note, my diet should not be YOUR diet. I eat quite a bit of food because I squat 130lbs on a regular basis. If you're less active, you eat less. If you're more active, its time to invest in protein powder.
      I meant the big ones, which I've used before, even taken classes in High School with the scary volleyball girls and (not so scary) football dudes. I know I'll need a spotter, and I'm not sure I'll be able to scrounge up a partner. The little one's will just break my toe if I drop them on me.
      I shall investigate this "Couch to 5k program."
      And yeah, energy output and input and all that. I do notice on days I have a lot of stuff to do I'm hungrier-- and even when I take mentally challenging and enjoyable classes, I'm hungrier! Brainpower.
      I can clean 125 last I checked. I have scary strong wrists. Yeah, I know, that's not really where it comes from, it's just one point among many. ... I think clean is the right word... where you pick it up off the rack and you move the bar/weights up, and then over your head?
      EDIT: Magpie, the "see what you feel" thing seems like something I might want to do for myself. I've noticed I drink tea when I feel ... sleepy? Chill? yeah, low-key is really the best term. I'll look into drinking more not-actually-tea (tisaines), and maybe if I start thinking like I should eat mostly veggies that will help. See, normally I think "ham sammich and a tall cup of milk" when someone says food, and now I can start replacing that immediate mental image with "Carrot. Broccoli. Blueberries. Soy milk." (all of which I love. NOM)
      Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 08-21-2010, 08:39 PM.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

You shouldn't be eating that many bad fats. Good fat is good for you. A good diet is low in bad fat, moderate in good fat, low in carbs.

and I didnt say ONLY water, I said a great majority should be water. I drink coffee, tea, diet coke, and milk as well.

Eggs are a majority of my diet because I lift. Eggs are a great source for protein, cheese is what you make of it.

One of my major points, and why its recommended you eat so often, is so you don't have to feel like you need to "fill up." You should be eating before your body is very hungry. Most of the time, by the time I get to eating my next meal, I'm not particularly hungry. I'm hungry, but I'm not salivating while I cook (out of hunger, my food is delicious smelling though).

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
        I meant the big ones, which I've used before, even taken classes in High School with the scary volleyball girls and (not so scary) football dudes. I know I'll need a spotter, and I'm not sure I'll be able to scrounge up a partner. The little one's will just break my toe if I drop them on me.

I can clean 125 last I checked. I have scary strong wrists. Yeah, I know, that's not really where it comes from, it's just one point among many. ... I think clean is the right word... where you pick it up off the rack and you move the bar/weights up, and then over your head?
        You don't walk into a gym and start squating 2x body weight. Those big scary people got that way by starting with the bar and then gradually adding weight. If you go to your gym regularly there are plenty of people there who will spot you. I have guys come up to me and compliment me on my routine and offer a spot if I need one. They do it because they see a fellow gym goer, a girl even, taking care of themselves.

I have no idea what lift youre talking about. you have a youtube link? Oh the clean from a Clean & Jerk. I havent done one of those.

Quoth Magpie View Post
        And if you find a way to make the above easy, let me know, I could use the assistance .
        Why do you feel youve screwed up? Whats wrong with enjoying a piece of cake?

edit: a couple weeks ago a very cute man said he liked my form. I liked his form too
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

ok I have decided that from tomorrow, if I have the willpower to keep it up, I will start a diary of what I eat but also what I drink as I am consuming a lot of sugar in soda drinks.I tried before to drink plain green tea as I heard it is healthy but I don't like the taste without sweeteners in it, and sweeteners are just as bad for you.
          Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

ok I have decided that from tomorrow, if I have the willpower to keep it up
            You already half decided you're not going to be able to do it. You gave yourself an out to fail. If you have a smart phone, they have apps for food diaries. Or keep one online in a livejournal.

And I use honey as a sweetner. A bit of white sugar sometimes. Like I said, since my diet is already low in that kind of stuff I dont worry about that 3 tsp in my cup of coffee.

Everything in moderation, especially moderation.

You find ways to do the things you want to do. You find ways out of the things you don't. You're the only one who can improve your health and wellbeing. I cant go to my gym anymore so I'm doing incline pushups on my stairs, pulls ups (well, trying) on my door, etc.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
              Boredom eating is one of the worst things. So is not paying attention while eating.
              I'm very proud of myself-- I've cut way back all on my own about boredom eating-- now it's stuff like tea or blueberries. Mostly tea. I've been trying to do the water thing, too. Sometimes, water is all I want all the time, not even eating, now it's more a glass of water, three of tea. Eh. some change is better than none, right?
              Also, very super Kawaii!
              http://kawaiinot.com/
              (webcomic)
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I shall investigate this "Couch to 5k program."
                I posted this link in another thread somewhere. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
                If you have iTunes, search podcasts for "Couch to 5K"...there are some apps if you want to pay, or there are a couple free podcasts (the one I have is by Robert Ullrey, and there is another one that I saw today that is basically the same thing without the music), that give you the cues for when to start/stop each running/walking interval. I had started it a couple weeks ago; this past week life kinda derailed me (weather and car problems, mostly). I learned that running on the treadmill does not work for me. For one, it makes my shins hurt (I actually had to stop walking after the 2nd interval, and switched to the elliptical to finish out the time). Also, I don't have a lot of stamina yet, and I don't feel stable enough to run on a moving surface since I can't just stop like I can on solid ground. Plus it's boring.

ok I have decided that from tomorrow, if I have the willpower to keep it up, I will start a diary of what I eat but also what I drink as I am consuming a lot of sugar in soda drinks.I tried before to drink plain green tea as I heard it is healthy but I don't like the taste without sweeteners in it, and sweeteners are just as bad for you.
                Even keeping a journal for a week or two can be helpful (include at least a couple weekend days); if you are going about your normal schedule, you'll get a snapshot of what a typical week looks like.

Some days I can't stand the thought of plain water and I'll mix in a little bit of something like Crystal Light or Propel mix (not the whole packet, just enough to give a little flavor; the whole packet tends to be too sweet).
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Honey has micronutrients and stuff in it, and if you have allergies, it's good for those too! Get as local honey as you can find, and it'll really help cut back on the major allergy symptoms from pollen! I usually can't afford that much honey to have it replace sugar straight up... but ... hey... that's an idea! No more bags of sugar for me. Just honey. If I can't buy honey, then tough cookies! Yay.

Comment

I'm very proud of myself-- I've cut way back all on my own about boredom eating-- now it's stuff like tea or blueberries. Mostly tea. I've been trying to do the water thing, too. Sometimes, water is all I want all the time, not even eating, now it's more a glass of water, three of tea. Eh. some change is better than none, right?
                    Also, very super Kawaii!
                    http://kawaiinot.com/
                    (webcomic)
                    Ever hear of the 80/20 rule?

If you do 20% of what the super fit, super active people do, you will obtain 80% of the reward.

"Pareto's Principle, the 80/20 Rule, should serve as a daily reminder to focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of you work that is really important. Don't just "work smart", work smart on the right things. "

If I can't buy honey, then tough cookies!
                    This is how I think. I dont have my healthy substitute, I can get an unhealthy substitute, but tough cookies, no unhealthy shit. Everytime I eat something exceptionally bad, i feel exceptionally bad.

Edit: TA you could start a fitness/diet log here to log your food diary and everything else that way you get feedback and positive response too.
                    Last edited by Whiskey; 08-21-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

O___O Wow. That's cool.
                      ... I like you Whiskey!
                      (I already did, just now I like you more)

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        You already half decided you're not going to be able to do it. You gave yourself an out to fail. If you have a smart phone, they have apps for food diaries. Or keep one online in a livejournal.
                        I don't have a smart phone, but my phone does have a notepad. Most probably do. I can also text what I had for lunch to my email and then copy it down when I get home.

Comment

Don't get overwhelmed by all this. After a while, like everything else, it becomes second nature.

Hell, heres a fancy anecdote (and the reason I posted this post)

I noticed I was thirsty AND hungry. Huh, what time is it? 2PM, already??? When did I last eat? ~10AM.

Four hours. My body knows its routine.

edit: Hey want some lunch? I ate carbs for you guys I had to do something with the lentils i had left from last night

Whole wheat rotini with last nights lentils. Olive oil, garlif and reconstituted "ham bits" (1/2 tsp probably) for sauce.

Salad with 1 slice provolone cheese, cilantro and another 1/4 tsp ham bits

and since i'm out of meat, half a glass of milk.

I made too much pasta, half of that is going to be thrown into something. Maybe a casserole. This is exactly how i prepare every meal. What have i got that will go together? Have left overs, whats something new I can do with them?
                          Last edited by Whiskey; 08-21-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                            edit: Hey want some lunch?
                            No, it's dinner time here.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                              Be realistic about if it's reasonable to have the muffin. Consider what else (also unhealthy, but perhaps not quite as bad) would also fill you up. And then eat it, but stop. Don't go "oh well, I screwed up, who cares what I eat now".

Well, what I did to get rid of most of the post-baby weight (kept a few kg so that I'm a healthy weight instead of scary thin) was:
                              - Kept a food diary for a month
                              - Decided what were empty/bored calories and cut those out
                              - Began counting calories
                              - Started weighing portions so that I was eating the standard serving size
                              - Began eating lean protein 3 x a day and increased my water, veggie and fruit intake. Also switched to wholemeal/mixedgrain breads.
                              - Started walking the dogs first thing in the morning when I had the chance
                              - If I couldn't walk the dogs, I used my exercise bike for around an hour in the evenings while watching TV after the kids went to bed.
                              - Always factored a yummy, useless treat into my daily calories.

It took about a year to lose the babyweight, but that's normal as you're not supposed to lose huge amounts of weight at once. My weight has stayed between 51-54kg for the last 6 months, and I've been eating more treats with less exercise out of laziness. Having to cut those out slowly now, they're giving me pimples
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                                Also switched to wholemeal/mixedgrain breads.
                                Make sure you check labels when buying breads. If the first ingredient isn't whole wheat flour (not just 'wheat flour') or another whole grain, don't bother. A lot of "multigrain" breads are mostly refined flour with some other grain bits mixed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X