Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all honesty, I think generics aren't as good as name brand. Most of the time, there are claims that there are no differences, but I disagree.

Something about Amethyst doesn't work properly with my organs. There must not be enough of the hormones in it. Now, I'm not thinking that it's ineffective as birth control, but it does not offer the security of knowing that you are protected against withdrawal bleeding and spotting.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

For most people, generics and name-brands work the same. For some, however, they work better/differently in a good way; and for some, they work worse/differently in a bad way. Unfortunately, you seem to be in the different/bad boat. I've heard of cases (from friends' experiences) of both.
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I may be giving Amethyst another chance.

Hear me out.

Good news being, I have not spotted since last Wednesday. I still have been wearing light pads to work every day just in case I can't make it to the bathroom on time, or I feel a cramp coming on, but nothing has happened since Wednesday. And no destroyed panties or even stained panties this weekend I haven't felt a cramp since Saturday, and they had been pretty on-going since I posted my OP.

I do recall when I first started Lybrel, that medication made me grossly nauseated until I had been on it for a few months.

Perhaps it's just my body getting used to the medication.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          That's a good possibility. Might be worth giving it a cycle or two, especially if it saves you money.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            Very likely. I'll second the recommendation to give it another cycle or two to see if the spotting is a recurring problem (same time each period), or if it was actually just your body adjusting to a slightly different formula.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              In all honesty, I think generics aren't as good as name brand. Most of the time, there are claims that there are no differences, but I disagree.
              The generic is required to have the same active ingredient(s) as the name brand, with the same conditions. (For instance, if the drug is enteric-coated, the generic must be. If the drug is extended release, the generic must be.)

However, everything else can be different. The supporting material, for instance.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Frankly I've been taking generics in all kinds of medicine for years and they are just as effective as far as I can tell. And cheaper so win-win.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  Frankly I've been taking generics in all kinds of medicine for years and they are just as effective as far as I can tell. And cheaper so win-win.
                  Totally agree, the painkillers I take that I buy for 19p work just as well as the ones I could buy for £2.19
                  Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Normally, generics are fine for me.

My sister, on the other hand...they changed her albuterol inhaler and gave her the generic. She ended up with a horrific rash on both arms. No more generic for her!
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

She has an allergy to one of the supporting materials in that particular generic. Learn which brand that is - see if the pharmacist can get a list of the ingredients in that generic, so she can find out what, exactly, she's allergic to.

She will need to avoid both name brands and generics that have that ingredient. Others (name brands and generics) will likely be fine.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        She has an allergy to one of the supporting materials in that particular generic. Learn which brand that is - see if the pharmacist can get a list of the ingredients in that generic, so she can find out what, exactly, she's allergic to.

She will need to avoid both name brands and generics that have that ingredient. Others (name brands and generics) will likely be fine.

I'll have to suggest that to her. I can't remember. I think it was that they switched the generic to a different brand and she started having problems. I know it came in a red inhaler so she started calling them "the red inhalers of death." But I don't think she ever found out definitively what she's allergic to, which she should!
                        "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                        "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                        Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                        X