Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget the gas boycot coming up on Tuesday. If it works, I'm going to propose a Steak boycot, cruise boycot, etc.

Comment

Most people here are like "Well, the Champion down the street is a couple cents cheaper" I usually counter with "That's fantastic, but we're a BP. Our gas is cleaner, and you get better mileage." or "Ever wonder why, despite being 4 cents more expensive, we have people lined up to get our gas, while they have 7 pumps open right now?" Plus, we have friend chicken

I've tried it. At the end of the main road, we have a BP, and a Champion. I topped off my tank with BP, drove calmly, came back, got 18mpg. Topped off with Champion, same conditions (It was 3AM, so I got all green lights), and I got 15mpg.
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

I want a hybrid, but I'm waiting for a good hybrid truck.

Comment

You could make a fortune selling 'Mild-Hybrid Kits' -- kits to convert standard trucks to the Mild Hybrid* types you occasionally see.

*Mild Hybrid trucks are those with an oversized startup motor, so the main engine shuts down when not needed, and can be restarted within a second.
          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth upsidedown_orchid View Post
            I have a lot of guilt because I just bought a Rav 4. It's an SUV, but it is a baby SUV- it's actually really good on gas, and so much easier when going out to the mountains with tons of ski equipment
            I LOVE my Rav4!

Dont feel guilty about owning a Rav. Mine gets better gas milage than my old 1988 Toyota Camry All-Trac (which is basically the same underbody as my Rav)

I can go two or three weeks without having to get gas in my Rav. My old 96 Tercel could go a month or so before having to get gas, but it was so wobbly in the wind that I wanted the Rav because it was much more stable feeling.

Comment

I drive a small, gas effecient car. I still only pay 25 bucks a week on gas and I laugh my butt off when I see great big SUV owners freaking out at the pump. You wanna drive a tank, that is what you get. I love my little jellybean
              "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Quoth infavorofnaturalselection View Post
                Saw is interesting when it was put in fullscreen on home video the people watching it were confused due to a huge goof that in the widescreen doesn't show up.
                Could you let me know? PM to avoid spoilers.
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

My grandma's boyfriend started an automotive repair station, and sold it to his boys. It evolved into a gas station as well. It's probably the most popular place in town to have your car fixed or towed... everyone uses it.
                  http://dwp.bigplanet.com/autoservice...in%20Story.gif
                  (Had a few family get togethers with those guys, they are hilarious. Their dad is seriously like a grandfather to me.)

Anyway, Virgil was telling me that gas stations really don't profit off the gas they sell that much. The majority of most gas stations profits come from what you can buy inside... pop, candy, milk and what not. So really, most gas stations could care-less if you buy gas or not. But, if people buy gas, they're coming in to buy other stuff too.
                  When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                    After finding out that Hugo Chavez the dictator of Venezula has a controlling share of stock in Citgo, I no longer purchase gasoline from them.
                    AMEN TO THAT!

As to pricing, there are a few stations that knowingly engage in predatory pricing down here in Naples. I'm not talking a few pennies difference, either. Gas will be $2.99 at the Hess station and then $3.20 at the BP just a block away in front of the local airport.

Me? I'm a smart guy. I buy my gas at the local Costco where it's cheaper than anywhere else.
                    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Ilovemygeek, I call my car a jelly bean too!

Hell even my Tempo didn't cost more than $25-$30 to fill a year ago.

My current car only takes $23 (I fill up at about 1/8 a tank before it gets too low). I do have to fill up every week because I put almost 30 miles on my car a day driving back and forth to work and home.

I'm starting to think that some gas companies dillute their gasoline with water because I was getting really crappy mileage with certain gas station gasoline.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I want an electric car. I don't care if I have to recharge it every hundred miles, or if the batteries need replacing every two years when they stop holding a charge. While I'm dreaming, I want an electric 1939 Lincoln Zephyr.
                        You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I got one for you.

If they complain about the company you work for charging too much for gas, you can tell them (and truthfully I might add) that the government makes 4 times what your company does in profit -- in taxes -- off of every gallon. If they don't like paying what they do for gas they shouldn't be bothering you, they should call their local congressman.

Comment

FYI: Gas boycotts are pointless. If you want to make a statement, take the bus whenever even remotely feasible. Not buying gas on a certain day means absolutely nothing when everyone is buying gas the day before and the day after. This is the ultimate in meaningless gestures.

As for gas quality, it's true that quality can vary wildly. I know that Shell gas (as of about a decade ago) make my car run like crap. Arco (bought by BP) is the cheapest gas around that's decent, except for one particular Arco nearby which is the same price as the local Mobile (higher than other Arcos by about 15 cents a gallon).

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              As for gas quality, it's true that quality can vary wildly.
                              Even at the same station it can vary...depending on the batch. I've noticed that at my usual station, my car will run fine after one fill-up. However, I'll go back the next week, and it idles a bit rough. Granted, my car does have over 100,000 miles on it, but is still in good shape for its age. Although now, the last time I had it in for servicing, I was told that one of the O2 sensors might be on its way out. If so, no wonder I'm getting poor mileage!
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

There's a gas station in town that has cheap gas, but it's part ethanol. My car's engine does not like ethanol.

There's another statioon being built in town that will sell E85 and some other kind of ethanol-based gas. Me, I wonder what's the point to using ethanol if most car engines are not built to burn it the right way.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X