Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is High Speed Internet still new to people?...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    Satellite, DSL and ADSL, cable, T1, and T3, are all high speed. Satellite being the slowest and T1 & T3 being the fastest with differences based on concurrent bandwidth.
    *Sigh* I remember the days back in my old college dorm. We had a t-3 line at each floor that everyone on the floor hooked into. The line(s) out of the building hooked into multiple OC-3 backbone. Talk about blazing speeds. Someone set up a DirectConnect hub within the network, and my god. As soon as you clicked on an Mp3, you had it. Entire movies would take a minute to download. That was heaven.

Comment

I got a broadband modem when they first came out and it was my first internet connection I had at home. I've had it for over 10 years now and it still works beautifully. I've used Cable modems at my friends and my internet is just as fast.

Its really odd that it still works so good after all this time and I've never had a problem with it. The only time it went down is when the telephone line needed repair on the polls.

Once we called the company up to see about cable modems and if it would be better to get a new broadband modem and the company told us that the model we have is actually the best made out of all the ones that came out after it.

Weee for fast internet!

Dial-up makesmy brain explodes!
      Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

I have Cable Internet. I am never going back to Dial Up, ever again. Now one of my friends, says that DSL is faster then Cable. I will never understand his way of thinking
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've actually had every iteration of internet since it came out.

From old 2.6 kbps dialup through 56 kbps dialup (if you think today's dialup is horridly slow, try opening the Google search page on 2.6 kbps...I actually dug my old modem out a few months back and tried it just for the hell of it).

Than I had ISDN. Twice as fast as dialup, and I was THE MAN.

Then cable, and I turned my back on ISDN for the slow, horse drawn wagon of the internet it became. But it would sometimes crawl slower than dialup, and the upstream speed was terrible.

Then ADSL. The world was good for a long time, but as I grew, so did my servers, and I started choking on the shrinking downstream bandwidth.

Then my local provider offered a fiber optic line straight to my house. Now the only slowdowns I really notice are when I'm on someone else's internet connection trying to pull stuff off at my server and their connection can't max out my upstream.

I also use GPRS/EDGE on my mobile phone when I'm on walkabout.

The moral of the story is, it's never fast ENOUGH

Comment

Quoth tendomentis View Post
            That's true. I have cable, and I've gotten so spoiled that waiting for more than a minute for any kind of download makes me jittery. Using dial-up now would make me climb walls.

It's funny. I live in a highly populated area, but I can't get DSL because I'm too far from the closest phone station, which is why I ended up getting cable.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
              I have Cable Internet. I am never going back to Dial Up, ever again. Now one of my friends, says that DSL is faster then Cable. I will never understand his way of thinking
              Well it really totally depends on the situation. Cable by and large has a higher base bandwidth, but as you add users onto the network, the speed drops since it's a shared line. DSL doesn't have that problem.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                Sometimes it is. If you're close to the CO, then DSL will be faster than Cable. The farther from the CO you get, however, the slower you get due to line resistance.

Cable used to have issues with the shared bandwidth. However, most cable companies have upgraded their systems to give all users a minimum pipe, so slowdowns aren't that notable, although they can still happen when a larger-than-usual number of users are all connected.

My boss has a fiber line to his house. I am sooo jealous. Especially so when I know that he only uses it to surf the web and the most strenuous task he asks of it involved pages with lots of pictures on them.

Currently, Nekojin & I are planning to play the WoW: Burning Crusade expansion 10-day trial with the dial up connection. We expect to have lots of problems.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

-ThreadJack-

NOOOO! Do not get WoW! It is teh EVIL! It will devour your sooooooul!
                  "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
                  ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                    I used to think the same thing... "I'm fine with Dial-Up, I can't afford Cable or DSL, so I'll just stick with Dial-Up."
                    I used to think that too, until I realized that the dial-up service plus the second phone line was actually a little more than what cable was going for.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth tendomentis View Post
                      I've actually had every iteration of internet since it came out.

From old 2.6 kbps dialup through 56 kbps dialup (if you think today's dialup is horridly slow, try opening the Google search page on 2.6 kbps...I actually dug my old modem out a few months back and tried it just for the hell of it).

try what I used to have on an Apple ][+ a 300 BPS modem (YES 300 bps not Kbps). this was when BBS's (bulletin boards) were mosty one person on at a time era in the early 1980's cirrca 1982 when I bought my first Apple ][+
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

As a soon-to-be-former internet tech support rep for a cable company, I had a lot of people say, "I currently have a second phone line for AOL. Will I be able to use that line with your service or do I have get something from you?"

Random thought: does anyone remember when cable internet was one way? The download was cable and the upload was telephone. There are still a few places in my state that have it (none with my particular company, though). Not co-incidentally, they're almost all in areas that have two competing cable companies... but that's a story for another day.
                        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          try what I used to have on an Apple ][+ a 300 BPS modem (YES 300 bps not Kbps). this was when BBS's (bulletin boards) were mosty one person on at a time era in the early 1980's cirrca 1982 when I bought my first Apple ][+
                          Tandy Color Computer with a 300 baud (remember how we called them baud back then?) dumb modem. I don't have that one any more, but I still have a genuine Hayes 1200bps SmartModem on my desk.
                          I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            We expect to have lots of problems.

^-.-^
                            I wonder if you could connect to play ten minutes at a time in all honesty. They likely haven't done a lot of patches to optimize the connection allthough the efforts to ban the gold farmers probably have fried up some of the waiting to connect time. Part of the lag is on the end user however. Low amounts of RAM, processer speed, background tasks can all bog down the computer so much it looks like you are expercing massive server lag.

Comment

I am so spoiled with the cable. I think I, too, would climb walls if I had to go back to dial up...

My father made a vague threat to get rid of the cable modem for some silly reason (I don't remember what it was, but it involved some other members of our household being stupid). I freaked and told him that, if nothing else, he should keep it for me!!! (I do web design for a few film directors- I would DIE trying to upload/test trailers for their films on dial-up..I'm waaaaaaaaaay to impatient anymore)
                              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                                Tandy Color Computer with a 300 baud (remember how we called them baud back then?) dumb modem. I don't have that one any more, but I still have a genuine Hayes 1200bps SmartModem on my desk.
                                My first dialing experience was also in the heyday of the one-line BBS (go WWIV!). I found a list of numbers and passwords from all of the boards I was on. There were 17 of them. One of them was in a different state. I didn't even have a computer. Just an amber screened dumb terminal. The modem (a whopping 2400 baud, and this was in 1991) was more advanced.

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                                -ThreadJack-

NOOOO! Do not get WoW! It is teh EVIL! It will devour your sooooooul!
                                Ha! I am proof against the soul-devouring abilities of the modern MMO!

I have accounts (all currently inactive) in EQ, Starwars Galaxies, Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes/Villains (I don't have Villains... yet), World of Warcraft, EQ2, EVE, and about a gajillian free Asian MOGs, most of which are all the same. Oh, and I couldn't be bothered to even play the whole free trial for Lineage II.

If I had the time and money, I would have active accounts for both WoW and CoH/V and play them both regularly. Hell, the costume generator alone makes CoH/V worth the money spent on the box. (my avatar is one of my CoH characters from just after launch)

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X