Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actually there IS a sign and it's right in front of your face!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually there IS a sign and it's right in front of your face!

I'm fairly certain I've mentioned the split cash-out system at my work on here before, but because it's an ever existing source of frustration for all of us who work cash, I thought I would share a few of my stories about it.

Background:
    At my location, the managers have decided that the most efficient way to get customers through cash is to split the registers by way of payment.
    That being, lanes 1-15 will accept all forms of payment, and lanes 16 and beyond (from here on known as "plastic") will accept all forms of payment except cash (so credit, debit and store credit only).
    Admittedly at first I thought this was foolish, especially since they refer to these lanes (16 and beyond) as "express", but shortly after implementing this I took notice of how much shorter the plastic lanes are than cash lanes.
    Without fail, cash lanes have an average of three more customers in them than plastic lanes.
    ALL plastic lanes have the same sign that reads, "EXPRESS LANE - debit and credit card transactions ONLY!".
    The signs are magnetically attached to the bottom of the lane signs (the lighted numbers) that are directly above the belt.
    The signs are bright yellow, and in perfect contrast to the navy blue lane signs.
    In spite of the fact that customers are constantly screaming about signs, and how they saw a sign that said this, there's no sign that says they can't do that and etc., few people actually take notice to the Express Lane signs.
    Because of this, I often ask customers how they're paying before ringing in their items, though sometimes I either forget, or our exchange of words takes place at that point.

Now that you have the background, onward to the Sucky Customers.

The "Ridiculous" Man

On a moderately busy day, or a "yellow" day, as Ikea terms it, a man had made his way to the front of my line, or rather, the next closest thing.
    The woman ahead of him was intending to pay with cash, and I informed her that I couldn't take any and she apologized and moved to another lane with no complaint. The Ridiculous Man was watching the conversation I had with the woman, and since I noticed he was hip to the jive (that being the words that were exchanged between her and I) I assumed I wouldn't need to ask him how he was paying.
    I ring through his items, tell him his total, and watch as he goes to remove several $20 bills from his wallet.

Me: yup
    RM: Ridiculous Man

Me: Oh sir, I'm sorry but I can't take cash at this lane. It's express and I don't have a till.
    RM: You don't take cash?
    Me: No, see we split our lanes up. Lanes 15 and over can take cash.
    RM: You're kidding me.
    Me: No.
    RM: *throws down the item he had picked up from the belt and stares me in the face* THIS IS RIDICULOUS! MY MONEY IS JUST AS GOOD AS ANYONE'S! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
    Me: Well actually our express lanes are much fas-
    RM: I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYTHING SO RIDICULOUS IN MY LIFE! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?
    Me: I'm sorry, but only lanes 15 and over can accept cash.
    RM: Where's the fucking sign, huh? I don't see no fucking sign.
    Me: Well actually it's right there. *points*
    RM: THAT SIGN IS RIDICULOUSLY SMALL! HOW CAN ANYONE BE EXPECTED TO SEE IT?
    Me: *losing patience* It's two and a half feet wide, a foot in height and bright yellow.
    RM: RIDICULOUS! *grabs his items and storms off*

Lady Drop-Off

Me: uh-huh
    LD: Lady Drop-Off

Me: *before I ring her items trhough* Hi. Are you using credit or debit?
    LD: I... uh... cash.
    Me: I'm sorry but I can't take cash. Only lanes 15 and over can.
    LD: *puzzled look* Fuck this.
    LD now leaves all of her items on the belt, her cart in my lane and walks off, muttering under her breath.

Where's the sign? Here's your sign.

This was another instance in which I told a customer that I could not accept cash, and the customer behind them was clearly listening to our exchange of words.
    The first customer realises her mistake and moves over without complaint.
    Enter Sign-o-Matic.

Me: ...
    SoM: Sign-o-Matic

SoM: You take cash, right?
    Me: No, ma'am, I'm sorry but I don't.
    SoM: *kisses teeth and shoots me the dirty look of the century* You know you should have a fucking sign telling people shit like this.
    Me: I do. It's right in front of you. *points*
    SoM: Oh, well I didn't see THAT!
    Me: That doesn't mean it's not there.
    Sign-o-Matic also leaves in a huff.

I can read, you know!

As mentioned earlier, I typically ask customers beforehand how they intend to pay, so as to avoid ringing through all their stuff only to find they only have a wad of bills for me, leaving me with a voided receipt and an angry customer.

LS: Literary Scholar

Me: Hi. Are you going to be using credit or debit today?
    LS: *with an attitude so thick you could cut it with a knife* Yeah. I can read, thanks.

Well pardon me for attempting to make each of your lives a touch simpler. I'll be sure to hone my psychic abilities before next shift so that I may be pre-aware of how you intend to pay for your damn merchandise without asking.
    Jebus.

It should be noted that these are not simply isolated incedents, but rather recurring trends in the store. People's reactions to our system can more or less be grouped under one of these four categories.
    Now I realise that this is a somewhat unconventional way of doing business, but nonetheless it's our way, and the only responsibility that falls to the customer is that they read one sign.
    Now if the sign said, "10% discount on all purple items," you could bet your ass every last one of them would see it, but once it becomes an issue of them making a mistake, suddenly the all important sign has become an invisible object.

Signs: the bane of my retail extistence.

Perhaps sometimes soon a new and interesting plastic related story will emerge, leaving me rushing to the forum to regale you all with the SC-ness of it all.

I have seen the signs of which you speak many, many times.

They are huge. You would have to be actively NOT paying attention to miss those.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Comment

So true, but if it were a sale sign, they wouldn't miss it!

Just a thought, with the kind of potty mouth your customers seem to have - I thought you'd have been talking about the Ikea in Elizabeth, New Jersey! LOL.
      If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        LS: Literary Scholar

Me: Hi. Are you going to be using credit or debit today?
        LS: *with an attitude so thick you could cut it with a knife* Yeah. I can read, thanks.
        And it's a gold-plated bet that if you hadn't asked, then Mr. Attitude would've tried to pay with cash. It's a no-win situation.

Comment

Its so amazing how people react in situations when they are wrong. Is it really that hard to say "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't read the sign, my fault, thanks." Its basically the persons lame way of saving face, but making it seem like you are the dumb one at fault.

Sucks to have to deal with people like this on a regular basis.

Comment

My limited retail experience has shown me that no matter what size the sign is or how easily readible it is, if it has anything important to tell the customer, they're not going to read it. Which.. is kind of ingrain, I'd say. Do humans really want to be shown how to do something if it might feel them acting like a child? It's like installing a program and ignoring the Terms of Service agreement.
            "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

The "Parking for Kinko's Customers Only! Towing Enforced" sign was about 8 foot long, 4 foot high, and had colorful, tow-truck driving GODZILLAS on it.

Think people saw it and paid attention? Would I mention it if they did?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                The "Parking for Kinko's Customers Only! Towing Enforced" sign was about 8 foot long, 4 foot high, and had colorful, tow-truck driving GODZILLAS on it.

Think people saw it and paid attention? Would I mention it if they did?
                Sounds like the, "LOADING ZONE ONLY! 15 MINUTE PARKING LIMIT IN THIS AREA BLAHBLAHBLAH" sign we have that it roughly the same size.

It's things like that that make me wish I were store manager, since my actual SM is too spineless and money hungry (as in we can't spare a single customer, despite the fact that we pull in a few million a week just at our location) to ever have the cars towed.
                If it were me, once the 15 minutes was up I'd send a PA page for the customer, give them a reasonable bit of time to move their car, then if they didn't show, have it hauled the hell out.

Comment

Just to prove how idiotic some people are, I lived in an apartment complex with assigned parking and the restricted parking sign right above my space. I come home one night late from work to find my reserved spot taken. I used to be the kind to just let things slip by but since my complex allowed us to have said offenders cars removed, I made the call and had the car removed. Next day I come out to find a not on the window of my car with some sorry threat of karma kicking me in the ass for having their car towed. Hello

Comment

The signs at Whiskeyclone were diamond shaped, bright yellow, and reflected when headlights were aimed at them. They were about the size of a larger throw pillow. Honestly, with customers signs turn into Swahili or they learn tricks from Houdini himself.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I went to the new Ikea near me a while back, and didn't even notice these signs :s I'm not sure what size they were, but I can assure you that I didn't kick up a stink about it.

You would think that customers wouldn't have any problems seeing the sale signs, but when we have a huge half yearly sale (which is a specific % off everything), we have to tell each customer about it. There are signs EVERYWHERE in the store telling you about it, but it's store policy to tell them. It's funny the number of times when customers will tell me that they didn't notice the signs... All 15ish bright red huge signs. It's a small store as well.

Comment

I think I've got you all beat. There are two companies with our address. We are 1000 they are 1000B. Outside the gates there are two signs stating our name. They are round, and about 3 feet across. Above the door to the office is another sign, 3 feet across bearing our name.

In the parking lot there is a sign, 8 feet wide, and over 30 feet tall, made of solid concrete that says our name.

People still walk into the office and ask for people who work at 1000B.

Comment

This isn't where the thread is going, but I was struck by how the "plastic" lines moved faster than the cash. I would have thought it was the other way around. As a cashier, I could make change in less time than it took someone to punch in their PIN or sign their credit card slip.
                          Of course, if someone decided to dig through their pocket or coin purse for exact change, all bets were off. Maybe those people make a bigger difference than I think.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Hmm maybe if we wrote "50% MORE" - you pay 50% more if you try to go through this line paying cash. Please go to register lanes 1-15 to pay with cash.

Hmm think the big "50%" would catch their eye?? Not that you'd really implement a policy like that - but if they can see the "50% off or 50% sale signs" you'd think maybe they'd notice that one too???

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              This isn't where the thread is going, but I was struck by how the "plastic" lines moved faster than the cash. I would have thought it was the other way around. As a cashier, I could make change in less time than it took someone to punch in their PIN or sign their credit card slip.
                              Of course, if someone decided to dig through their pocket or coin purse for exact change, all bets were off. Maybe those people make a bigger difference than I think.
                              I can tell you why plastic lines go faster: Fewer choices.

Seriously. People who are prepared and know what they plan to do go through quickly and are on their way. Everyone who is paying attention or who happens to want to pay with plastic are usually ready to go by the time everything is rung up.

People who have twice as many choices (cash and checks in addition to credit and debit) can take twice as long to make a decision. I'm usually ready to go as soon as my bill is rung up, regardless of what method I'm paying, but I've noticed that a large number of people who pay with cash or check tend to be completely unprepared when it comes time to pay and have to dig out the money or their checkbook or they don't start writing until they already know the total. On the extremely rare ocasion I will use a check at a register, the only thing that isn't filled out by the time the cashier is finished ringing me up is the amount.

Don't give people too many choices. It confuses them.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X