Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like most of the others have said, 'personal use' recordings of broadcast media are perfectly legal, and if you're off the clock then what you do is your business. Wearing the uniform or not, they're not paying you for your time so you're not bound by policy on behavior standards. Besides all that, the asshat's complaint didn't have anything to do with Kitten's performance on her job, but for refusing to let some psycho-bitch yell at her about something they have no business getting involved in to begin with.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
      if you're off the clock then what you do is your business. Wearing the uniform or not, they're not paying you for your time so you're not bound by policy on behavior standards.
      Wrong, sorry. You may not be working or being paid, but if you are standing in the store, wearing your uniform, then you are still representing the public face of the organisation to - er - the public, and your standard of behaviour should reflect that. If you don't like it, get changed out of your uniform the instant you finish work, and leave the store premises to have your little social sessions.
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

Thank good i worked on small business.
        I actually told to customer that either he runs or i will kick his ass

Comment

While you were off the clock, and under no obligation to talk to the customer, it sounds like you should have properly considered the consequences of your actions. You were still in uniform, while technically not being paid to be there at that moment, you still represent the company to the public's perception.
          Unfortunately, the customer does not care if you were on the clock.

It sucks, I've been in that position too. Since the customer does not care, they see what happened to them as The Company wronged him, not an off-the-clock employee. Management or Corporate (depending on the size of your company) is probably not going to say 'but Mr. Customer, our employee was off the clock'.

If you have an employee handbook or similar, I would suggest re-reading it, especially if you are employed in an at-will state, so you can prepare for any kind (if any) type of disciplinary action. Some companies are so paranoid about any kind of bad PR, they will terminate employees for off the clock actions on company property, so this could go beyond a write up.

But kudos for standing up for yourself, that customer was a busy-body know-it-all wannabe. Just in the future, perhaps showing a little more restraint in terms of language will save you some headaches

Good luck with this!

Comment

I try to watch my tone and language while wearing my uniform, but most customers know that I'm not on the clock when I have my trench on and Hobbs slung on my back.

That woman was probably being a bitch for the sake of being a bitch. You could have handled it better, but she had no right to get in your face and start yelling at you like that.

If it was me, I would have told her that raising her voice and getting in your face are both considered threatening actions. So if she doesn't cut it out, you have no problem using your phone with the "illegal" ring tone to call the police and report her.
            A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
              Kitten in the box was not on company time. The SC had no business butting into a private conversation held on private time.
              If Kitten was in uniform, then the SC was still wrong, but it might have been better, career-wise, to handle it differently.
              Off the clock means little to nothing, if you're still in uniform. As long as the uniform is on, you're considered to be representing the company you work for.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Very touchy thread here, Kitten! While I would like to stay polite and side with you being this guy did butt into a private conversation and therefore was in the wrong, I am not so sure I would have spoken to this man the way you did, although I guess I would have to ask myself what I would have done had I been in your shoes.

Comment

What baffles me is that this person instantly assumed that you 'stole' the ringtone when there are gobs of legal South Park ringtones available online for purchase or free even.

What a gimp.
                  ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    Off the clock means little to nothing, if you're still in uniform. As long as the uniform is on, you're considered to be representing the company you work for.
                    When I worked for Publix years ago, this rule applied to everyone. I stated in an earlier thread about some guys that punched out to go home, and were having a converation laced heavily with the "F" word. Even though they were off the clock, these guys were still dressed in the clothing required by the company, and they all had their green aprons in their hands while heading out to their vehicles. A customer reported this to a manager, and they were reprimanded because of the fact that it makes the company look bad for tolerating this type of behavior.

Comment

Working...
                    X