Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It finally happened, and it felt great! (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened, and it felt great! (long)

OK, so this happened a few months ago and I've been debating putting it up here as I'm sure some of you guys will be pretty shocked and think I did the wrong thing, but I've decided to share anyway and let you make your own judgements...

BG: I work for a small independant jewellers in the UK. I have (somehow) been promoted to Manager, the only person above me is the business owner, and we have 4 other staff so a pretty small team. I've worked there for 6 years now. Most of our customers are pretty horrid, but we have a good team and we just get on with it. Our shop is laid out with glass counters that we stand behind to serve people, the counters sit between the shop floor and the back of the windows (hope that makes sense).

Anyway, guy comes into the shop wanting some watch batteries. No problem, we do them all the time. He seems OK at this point. He then asks to look at a watch we have for sale in the window. I ask him to come outside with me and point it out as we have about 200 watches in the window (we know it's a PITA but it's the easiest way we have found to do it). At this point he steps behind the counter and starts to open the window back and help himself! I say "Sir, could you just show me from outside, I'm afraid I can't allow you behind the counter". He tells me how ridiculous I'm being but agrees to go outside. While were outside he says "I'm a very wealthy man you know, I don't need to STEAL watches from the likes of you". I stayed calm and said "I wasn't accusing you of stealing Sir, it's just our policy that customers are not allowed behind the counters". He carries on mumbling and moaning and we go back in to the shop, i go behind the counter to get the watch he has pointed out, turn around and there he is: behind the counter with me, blocking the only way in/out from the counter. Now we're talking a space of about 1.5m x less than a metre, so he'snot only blocking my only way out, he'e pretty bloody close too.
    At this point I said (rather sternly, but not in a rude manner) "Sir, as I have explained to you, I need you to stay on the shop floor, I cannot allow you behind the counter. If my boss sees you here, I risk losing my job". Well that was it, he went crazy, telling me that he had never been treated so unfairly, all the other shops he goes in let him do it, he's a very good customer (never seen him before in 6 years) and he will never be coming back here, I am the rudest person he's ever met etc etc etc. I tried to explain to him that our CCTV cameras are linked to the other shop where the boss is and that if he sees me allowing customers behind the counters, i could lose my job. He doesn't care at all, tells me how unprofessional I am for not allowing him behind the counter and that he will NEVER be coming back here again...
    And then it happened...
    It just came out, I couldn't stop it...
    I said "Good, f**k off then".
    I was shocked. My colleague who had watched all this unfold was shocked. The customer was shocked. I didn't even apologise. He stood in our doorway with his mouth open like a goldfish for what seemed like an eternity. I don't know if he was more shocked at what I said to him or the fact that he hadn't got his own way.
    When he finally left (still speechless) I rang the boss and told him what happened. He actually laughed! I was so sure I was about to get a disciplinary or worse and he just laughed and said "well, he deserved it!"

You have done what the rest of us only dream of doing,and you kept your job and made the boss laugh. Enjoy this memory forever! You will be immortalized in song and poetry by retail peons for generations.

*Mr. Bumbershoot is a musician and assistant store manager, and is already working on your song right now.

Comment

Thank goodness for bosses like yours.

"I'm a very rich man!" indeed. Nice try. And if all those other stores allow him behind the counter (which I absolutely cannot imagine) then let him go to one of them and buy a watch.

Great response, IMO.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

To me someone insisting so much to get behind the counter smells of someone trying to scam you or planning to steal something.

I do not care how wealthy he was, Lindsay Lohan made more money in a month than I will make my entire life - and she stole stuff more than one time.

Also the bluff about how wealthy he was is just the same type of claim a scammer would make and there are lots of people who have no real idea what wealthy means and because they can spend a few thousand more than the people around them, they think they are rich.

They are not.

Whenever I hear "Other let me do it" or "X can do it" then I will say out loud then "Why come here/to me if you know where to get what you claim".

The excuses I got were stupid. Telling me that person/company was on the other side of Canada is not a reason for me to do what you want. Telling me you were in a hurry does not make me want to do it.

But worse "A friend told me you WILL do it, why are you refusing and claiming what I want is impossible/expensive" is the one I really can't stand. If their friend knows so much why don't they get them to do it. And the excuses will fly.
        Last edited by EricKei; 08-19-2017, 07:01 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

He was completely inappropriate. Tell your coworker if anything similar ever happens to have the phone ready to call the police. You were fabulous.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            *snip*
            Whenever I hear "Other let me do it" or "X can do it" then I will say out loud then "Why come here/to me if you know where to get what you claim".

*snip*
            Exactly. Why are you here, arguing with me, if you know you can get what you want somewhere else?
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Bonus level unlocked: Top of the Totem Pole. As senior member of staff in the building, you don't need to be worrying about upsetting irrational or ridiculous customers, in fact it's practically a perk to do so! Well done, hopefully that moron will have had something to think about besides his vast tracts of land...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

While maybe "technically wrong" in the case of this asshat, what you did was oh so right!!! I would never ever think of going behind the counter no matter how much money I had or didn't have..that's just rude and idiotic of the customer!

Comment

I don't care if you're Bill Gates, you do NOT go behind the counter of any shop you do not work at! That's all there is to it.

Even at the fabric store, we didn't allow customers behind the cutting counter, for obvious safety reasons. Seriously, we're wielding sharp scissors, we don't want you bumping into us while we're cutting something! (This was my favorite pair, you could probably stab someone with them.) And that's at a fabric shop, what're they going to steal at the cutting counter, a bolt of fleece? A jeweler?! Forget about it!

That guy was way out of line and he damn well knew it. That's why he threw the conniption fit. That's also probably why your boss was cool with it. He knew you were looking out for the company.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This guy knew dang well what he was doing. Best case scenario, he was there to stir something up. You did absolutely the right thing.

Comment

In my opinion you deserve a medal on behalf of retail workers everywhere.

That guy was a scammer, an asshole or a thief, most likely all three.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The best way to deal with "I'm a very wealthy man you know" types is stare them right in the eye and reply, completely deadpan, "Of course you are".

Comment

Honestly, if more store clerks were allowed to say stuff like that to sucky customers, this forum would have no reason to exist.

You did good. He was a full-blooded a$$.

Comment

Working...
                          X