This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was my delivery driver sucky...?

Ordered some takeout chow for delivery today, and while it arrived very promptly, the (new) delivery guy did something that made me very uncomfortable...the guy actually walked past me into my apartment to place the food on my kitchen table before taking my payment. Dude, just HAND me my fucking food! In the opinion of delivery drivers who post here, was he being out of line? I have never had the other delivery driver attempt this. I didn't say anything, and I tipped well as I always do, but that struck me as being very presumptuous.

Where I live all the delivery drivers do that. Maybe he is used to doing that.

Comment

I guess it varies by area -- When I slung pizzas back in the NOLA area, we were told quite clearly to NEVER go into anyone's house for any reason, as a safety precaution.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Delivery driver trainer here

It is (read should be) a generally accepted practice that a delivery driver should NEVER EVER enter a customers house apartment or hotel room for several VERY good security and safety reasons

1. just being in the room is a danger such as the customer can close the door and you the driver are SOL and in lots of danger You suddenly are out of the public view.

2. if something comes up missing or broken in said customer space who is the VERY FIRST PERSON who is going to get the blame, gets to accept the liability AND get prosecuted and most likely get fired.

as a customer that is a BIG invasion of my home. If I have NOT invited said driver inside they need to stay on the doorstep.

I would call the delivery place and inquire as to if this "service" is standard because if it is that place is opening itself to BIG HURTING. I understand wanting to give really great service but there is a line that should not be crossed (such as walking into someone home UNINVITED) in delivering that service.

That said I have had several older customers who will invite me into their home to delivery their order. The instruct me to put the order on say their living room table or a TV Table or yes the kitchen table. BUT I was INVITED in not just breeze in.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

All right, I won't be calling the store to inform on the delivery driver (maybe he was really new at the job in general, and didn't know the proper etiquette), but if I get him again, and he attempts to enter my apartment, I will politely but firmly tell him to kindly hand me my food, and to stand out in the hallway as I pay him.

Comment

Yes not a good thing to do but not sucky.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Sorry, I feel this was very sucky and I would've called the store to ask that they speak to their driver about it. I wouldn't want him to get in trouble if he meant well, but at the same time I'd want it on the record that such behavior wasn't acceptable or allowed. My home is my private space and you need to be invited in.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I've never been a delivery driver but we've certainly had food delivered to my mother's house, and I've never seen a delivery driver do this. I agree with those here who say it's one thing if the resident invites you in; it's quite another just to barge past them. If this is not a common practice in the OP's area (whatever this particular driver might be used to), I suspect even if the OP doesn't report the driver, somebody else will ... perhaps unfortunately, since it doesn't sound as if the driver's intentions are bad.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

He's lucky you didn't have a large protective dog. And while we're on the subject, I never heard of that being a standard practice anywhere.

Comment

I should also note the guy called me right before delivering to find out which of the three buildings in my complex had my apartment, so it's obvious he was new to this job. Still doesn't excuse what he did, but I'm sure if he tries it with another customer, they'll be less lenient than I am.

Comment

To be honest, that would freak me out. Sure, he's just doing his job as he sees it, but like others have said, you shouldn't enter anyone's home without an express invitation. That would make me VERY nervous (not to mention embarrassed that my home wasn't as neat as it could be!)

Maybe I'm paranoid but how do I know he's not having a quick look around to case the joint? This doesn't mean I automatically suspect every food delivery person I do business with, but if it's not standard practice in one's area, I can understand wondering why he did this.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        I should also note the guy called me right before delivering to find out which of the three buildings in my complex had my apartment, so it's obvious he was new to this job. Still doesn't excuse what he did, but I'm sure if he tries it with another customer, they'll be less lenient than I am.
                        OK so we can possibly assume the driver is new BUT again this is NOT standard practice in the industry. We teach/train for safety and security. Barging uninvited into someone's residence is not safe in the least. Possible bullet or shotgun blast or baseball bat may result to the driver as the customer may be one of those who "Shots first and ASKS questions later" type of people. Like you Monteray you did NOT expect the driver to just walk into you home uninvited. Some people would NOT take that kindly and would possibly wipe out a gun and unleash some lead. IF the driver does this a say a drug dealer OR a VERY jealous BF or husband not so good things will most likely happen.

YES I deliver to some like that and I respect their property protection rights inside their residence.

You need to call the store, speak with a manager, and determine what the situation is. Yes this need to be handled diplomatically but handled now before something happens

If this driver continues this AND it is NOT the standard for this store the driver AND/OR the store/company can be held liable (meaning criminally and civilly) in some situations. Say the customer's house is broken into or a possession is damaged OR if the driver is injured by say falling in the kitchen (wet floor just mopped meaning you at home do not put up Wet Floor signs) OR being attacked by the customer's very territorial dog. Any of these situations are NOT good for the driver AND/OR the company who they are employed by.

If this IS standard for this store (I feel this is a very stupid and dangerous standard) you need to make sure the next time you order to EXPLICTITLY state when placing the order the driver (any driver) is NOT to enter your residence for any reason
                        Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-17-2017, 06:24 AM.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I feel like letting the store know could be done in "heads up" style. Just like... "Hey, you might want to know that this driver came in my house without being asked, and I was uncomfortable." It doesn't have to be irate, you're giving the store useful information. At least this is how I'd do it, and I would let them know. If this guy is being shady in some way, he should be stopped. If he's being oblivious, he should still be stopped for his own safety.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

This does definitely need to be addressed before he scares off female customers, especially ones who might live alone or the other resident(s) might not be home at the time of delivery. I know I'd feel seriously threatened by a stranger just walking in, and would be VERY afraid to find out WHY he's so casually violating personal space and social norms.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I agree, that does not sound like normal behaviour; but the Driver being new, may have felt that was acceptable in a "Give the customer extra good service" manner.

I would make a call back to the store, ask to speak to the manager and just give them a heads up. Don't name the driver, don't give your name, maybe don't even mention the driver was new. Just let the store know so they can give a general reminder to the drivers about appropriate behaviour. Stress you are not looking for recompense, nor are you looking to get anyone in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X