This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Remember These Signs?

Where I work is an old location. These signs are still posted on a window in building #3 which used to be THE shop, other 2 buildings were bought later. Oh and a couple of years ago when we were trying to locate a squirrel's nest we dug out a box of invoices from 1976.

Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Holy cow, Yes I do!
    Working at Sears back in..oh..1993 (god), I had a few customers who had the original Sears card. A card smaller than normal credit cards, with only raised numbers, and no magnetic strips. You had to put a card on a carbon copy thingy, put the paper on top and slide the thing sideways to imprint the number on the paper. God.

Do you remember when Visa was 3 colors and only said VISA on it?
    We're old.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I remember carrying cards like that on the work trips back in the '90s. And asking for the carbon papers so I could dispose of them myself as I <ahem> knew what could be done with them.

<sigh>

Now getoffamylawndamnkids!

I'm old.

<wibble>

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working at the gas station back in the early '80s, using the old knuckle busters. I had to explain what that was to someone a couple of weeks ago.

ETA: OMG! I just Googled knuckle busters and someone still sells them!
        Last edited by csquared; 01-18-2012, 03:17 AM.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Working at the gas station back in the early '80s, using the old knuckle busters. I had to explain what that was to someone a couple of weeks ago.

ETA: OMG! I just Googled knuckle busters and someone still sells them!
          They use them in places where they can not get a phone signal or electricity to do CC transactions and for when the power goes out.

Comment

I think my mom still has one or two of those lying around.

She'd still drag it to craft shows if I hadn't gotten my little Square thingee.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Yes, I remember those...
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I used the carbon sliding thingy's for credit cards at my first job. I was there from 2003 until 2008.

Boss man wouldn't upgrade to an eftpos machine. And quite frankly, that would be one extra bit of tech that he would refuse to learn.

He barely knew how to use outlook or excel.
                A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

One of our large local department stores had to break out the knucklebusters during the Christmas rush, because the system crashed. You should have seen the faces on the poor teenage cashiers when presented with these dinosaurs and a massive line! I felt so sorry for them, but luckily it came back online quickly.
                  Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

We have one of those. We call it "Big Bertha", and only use it when the internet goes down.

Thankfully it's been a long time since we've used her.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I remember when "Master Card" was "Master Charge." Can't say I remember the other signs in the picture.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

MadMike, the C&S card was a regional charge card best I can remember. Issued by C&S Bank in the Southeast.
                        Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                          We have one of those. We call it "Big Bertha", and only use it when the internet goes down. Thankfully it's been a long time since we've used her.
                          My job has a Big Bertha; it's a type of forklift.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I absolutely remember BankAmericard and the original VISA card, as well as Master Charge. C&S was not something we had in our area. And of course, there was always Diner's Club, which is still in existence but we didn't have the card and I don't remember anyone else having one, yet they had signs on every door too I remember when Discover was new, as well.
                            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I remember the old "Chargex" signs (Canadian credit card). It had the same blue/white/gold stripes as Bank Americard, and like BA, became Visa.

Anyone remember the widely advertised on TV scooter/moped called the Passport (I believe it was made by Honda)? Probably cheap enough that it would fit under the spending limit on a number of credit cards. Anyone can get a visa on their passport (for international travel), but it would be really special to get a Passport on your Visa.
                              Last edited by wolfie; 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM. Reason: remembered bad joke just after hitting "post"
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X