Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I'd escaped...but my poverty dragged me back.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought I'd escaped...but my poverty dragged me back.

Two glorious weeks in Vegas with my best friend and her new husband....and then I was broke and had to come back. I had fleeting fantasies of working as a showgirl or bartending at a topless bar...but I realized I'd still have to deal with the dregs of humanity. At least here it's over the phone, and I can depend on my mute button for instant verbal release. *meep*

Apparently we're still freaked out over 9-11. I had no idea!

Me: To complete this order, sir, I just need to verify your identity as the authorized signer of this credit card. This is done to protect your security and it lets us process your transaction for you, all right?

SC: *SIGH* Look, young lady, 9-11 was 7 years ago. I understand you guys are upset about it, but really! This is going too far!

Me: ...um...

SC: WHY on earth do you have to put all us damn foreigners through this, no matter who we are?! I am not an Arab, I am an AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN! This is ridiculous! It's been 7 years! Don't you people ever get over things?!

Me: Sir, our security procedures have nothing to do with 9-11. We have issues with credit card fraud, especially involving foreign credit cards; that is why we do this. We're trying to make sure it is you placing the order, and not someone who has gotten hold of your wallet.

SC: Yes, yes, whatever. Let's get this damn thing over with.

No offense to any non-Americans here, but do we really seem that obsessed over 9-11? 'cause I'm not. I had no idea it was such a big deal. Or was this guy just an SC of the Australian variety? (Cause we all know they come in every nationality!)

Someone forgot to take their meds this morning, didn't they?

Me: Thank you for calling Bugaboo cell phones, my name is TPG, my rep---

SC: Milk! I said Milk! M I L K MILK you idiot!

Me: ...

SC: Oh, sorry, hon. What did you need?

Me: Can I have the cell # you're calling about?

SC: (From sweet to raging beastwhore, .005 seconds): I DON'T HAVE A BUGABOO CELL PHONE! I DON'T KNOW WHAT THESE CHARGES ARE FOR! GET THEM OFF MY CARD RIGHT NOW!

Me:

SC: DID YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID?!!

Me: Ma'am, please calm down so I can help you.

SC: *pant* Ok. All right. Sorry.

Me: That's ok. I know this is frustrating. If you'll give me your credit card number, I can look up these charges from us and see what phone they are going to and how they were placed.

SC: I'M NOT GIVING YOU MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Me: Ma'am please stop yelling at me. If you don't want to give your credit card out, that's fine. If you did not use your card to add minutes to a prepaid cell phone, then someone has gotten hold of your card and what you'll need to do is call the bank and have the card shut down.

SC: *pant* Ok, ok. Sorry. Can't you look it up by my name?

Me: Sure, I can try that, but the person who used it may have not put it under your name. Can I have your first and last name and zip code please?

SC: (Suspiciously) Why do you need my zip code?

Me: That's how our computer system is set up, Ma'am.

SC: WELL I'M NOT GIVING YOU MY ZIP CODE EITHER! THIS IS VERY SUSPICIOUS! WHY ARE YOU ASKING FOR SO MUCH INFORMATION?!

Me: Ma'am, please stop yelling at me! Because I'm trying to help you. You don't have to give me any information if you don't want, but I can't help you unless we can figure out what account your card was used on.

SC: Fine. Fine. I'M CALLING THE BANK! I DON'T TRUST YOU!

Me: All right Ma'am, thank you for calling and have a nice---*click*

Haysoos Creestoh, what was that all about?

We had a rep shopper the other night. That's always fun on graveyard because there's only 5-6 of us, and it's really quiet, so we can hear when someone is rep shopping. Not only was he rep shopping, apparently he was acting like a spoiled baby on the phone. (I, alas, didn't have the pleasure of speaking to him.)

Rep Colin:

No, sir, we cannot process an order for you on this account.

Because we had a dispute filed on a charge that was made to this cell phone. You will need to talk to our chargeback department, they are the only ones who can resolve this dispute for you.

No, sir, I will not do that. ESPECIALLY that.

Do not speak to me that way sir, I will disconnect.

All right, I am disconnecting now.

Rep Teresa:

Sir the previous rep explained to you why we cannot put time on your phone.

If you have an emergency you can still dial 911 from your phone.

What other kind of emergency is there?

Do not yell at me, sir. There is nothing we can do for you at this time of night.

Do not yell at me sir, I will disconnect this call!

All right, sir, that's enough. *click*

Rep Steph: (Yeah she's the mean one)

Look, sir, I don't care what your issue is, our issue here is fraudulent activity and you will not be loading this phone until that is dealt with to our satisfaction!

No sir, I'm afraid your satisfaction is not more important than a disputed charge. You can call back in the morning and speak to the people who are dealing with this account.

They hung up on you because you were being verbally abusive to them, which is the same thing I'm about to do if you cannot act like an adult on the phone.

All right, I'm hanging up the phone now. *click* (to us) God, what an argument for birth control!

*sigh* back in the trenches.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
    No offense to any non-Americans here, but do we really seem that obsessed over 9-11? 'cause I'm not. I had no idea it was such a big deal. Or was this guy just an SC of the Australian variety? (Cause we all know they come in every nationality!)
    Note the word 'seem' in your question.

Look at your major news networks.

Look at your Ranty Mc Rant from the Planet Rant 'news' and 'religious' figures.

Look at your president.

Now ask the question again. Does America really seem that obsessed over 9-11?

Yes.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Yes.
      Although that's still no excuse for the customer to be complete ass about it.
      ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Look at your president.

Yes.
        Okay, I forget others pay attention to all of that. I don't watch TV and I don't get my news from the major networks at all. I mostly avoid that stuff, it's all inaccurate.
        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Look at your president.

Yes.
          oh god, now that you put it that way...

all I can say, after having that pointed out I am even more grateful that Rudy didn't get the nomination... that guy had such a 9-11 fetish, I can only imagine what it would do with the international sc variety like the guy in the OP's story...
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

America, obsessed with 9/11?? Nah.

See, it's the "IMPORTANT" people who are obsessed with 9/11. Every day Joes and Janes have already been through the stress of it and now see it as "oh, yeah, it happened. What of it?" kinda feeling.

But that's just what I've witnessed.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

No - you just got the Australian variety SC... I've had the exact same words used against me..usually when they want it done now cos they're in a hurry, and usually because they've left things til the last moment - and you know whose fault that is.

On the other topic, its the media hogs who still have issues with it...it's still used to 'justify' being in Iraq and Afghanistan.. and to invade Iran when that happens - regardless of what the majority of the US population think....
              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Don't you know you're supposed to know who the person calling is and their CC number without out asking them. ESP is mandatory these days.

Comment

I processed fishing licenses for a while there, and besides fisherman being pricks (seriously, most of them were. I don't know why), we'd get people not wanting to give out personal info.

The system is through the DNR, and it takes either your social security number or your driver's license number. Don't want to give me either? Guess you're not going fishing.
                  Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                    Okay, I forget others pay attention to all of that. I don't watch TV and I don't get my news from the major networks at all. I mostly avoid that stuff, it's all inaccurate.
                    Yeah, I don't go near major news outlets, either.

It's not about journalism anymore. It's all about sensationalism. Especially now that it's been confirmed by the courts that news programs have nothing that makes them report the truth. I'm just waiting for the huge "truth in advertising" claim against them for calling them "news programs" when they're not about the news.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Nice to see you posting again, TPG.

You may not have missed dealing with the crazies, but we sure missed hearing about it.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

but do we really seem that obsessed over 9-11?
                        Yes, we most definitely are.

Although, your SC was just a plain SC trying to use an excuse not to have to deal with normal credit card security issues. Identity theft and 9/11 are completely unrelated.
                        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I live very near Washington DC, and about 3 hours from NYC. Most people commute to the cities or travel on business trips around here. I live in a very small town, and our town alone lost two residents in both the Pentagon and the Twin Towers. Several others in nearby towns were lost, as well as the city where I work.

In this area, everyone knows each other, and so we treat the topic with respect around here. Some people treat it as an excuse to fight terrorism and "git those durn foreigners out", but around here, most see it as the day we lost friends and family.

I hate people that use it as an excuse and don't honor the dead. I promise you not all Americans are like that.
                          "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

I was in NYC 6 months after 9/11, and even then people were pretty much getting on with their lives. Remember, it's not news, it's marketing!

I'm afraid I would've hung up on the 'yelling lady' a lot sooner than you did. Sheesh.
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I apolgise for my fellow Aussie but I'm afraid while we may be the fab country of surf, sun and sand, we still have SCs. I didn't realise they were bothering people overseas as well though

Comment

Working...
                              X