Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you were amazing keeping your head like that even after they'd 'shot' you. No way you could have known they weren't real small-caliber guns!

Hope the parents keep off your back though; their little pwecious angels can never do any wrong, can they?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Here is a story that just hit the news in Australia...

Drunks shooting each other.

Comment

i'm betting there were also 4 pairs of shorts that needed to be changed after that one.

but sometimes a fright like that sets a lad straight.
        they think it's all fun and games until... someone gets shot with a real gun and it's not so much fun.

i'm also hoping the father wises up and really pays attention to how his son acts - before his son gets himself killed.

and believe me cops do NOT like people fucking around with toy guns.
        back when i worked at hills (a now-dead dept store) we stayed late to make some store video on job requirements etc. while we were bored one of the guys found a toy gun from the kids dept and was messing around with it, pointing it at people, acting like he had someone hostage, while the "hostage" was laughing her butt off.

someone saw it through the store front window. 3 police cars showed up. the cops were PISSED OFF. We had a very long lecture from them.

Comment

Stupid. Airsoft pistols aren't toys, especially when they're gas powered, as that one obviously was. Spring powered "guns" would bounce right off.

Good on ya for having a quick response, and good on the cops for taking quick and appropriate action. Hopefully those kids won't be doing this again any time soon.
          We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post

I guess though that when you saw the bb gun only made a cobweb on your windscreen you realised what was happening - after all a full size round will pass straight through all standard glass and utterly destroy it.
            A full sized round would definitely pass through it, but depending on the caliber of the round (like a .22) it could be a small hole. Either way, if you're being shot at in the middle of the night the size of the bullet holes in the windshield are not a detail one usually pays attention to.

But yes, those kids are damn lucky!

They could have been legally shot and killed in self defense.

Quoth Tsiyeria View Post
            Stupid. Airsoft pistols aren't toys, especially when they're gas powered, as that one obviously was. Spring powered "guns" would bounce right off.
            As an aside, some of the early firearms were actually air powered. These are firearms that were used to shoot and kill men, bears, and boars.

The Windbüchse was about 4 ft (1.2 m) long and weighed 10 pounds (4.5 kg), which was about the same size and mass as a conventional musket. The air reservoir was a removable, club-shaped butt. The Windbüchse carried twenty-two .51 in (13 mm) lead balls in a tubular magazine. A skilled shooter could fire off one magazine in about thirty seconds, which was a fearsome rate of fire compared to a muzzle loader. A shot from this air gun could penetrate a one-inch wooden board at a hundred paces, an effect roughly equal to that of a modern 9 mm or .45 ACP caliber pistol.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun#History

Just because it uses air instead of gunpowder does not make it safe.

The only difference between a "toy" air gun and a one of these rifles is the size of the bullet fired and the amount of charge propelling it.

It would be akin to giving a small round, like a .22, only a small powder load. Give it a small enough powder load and the .22 will just bounce off your skin. That does not make it a toy.
            Last edited by Ree; 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
              A full sized round would definitely pass through it, but depending on the caliber of the round (like a .22) it could be a small hole. Either way, if you're being shot at in the middle of the night the size of the bullet holes in the windshield are not a detail one usually pays attention to.
              Might be splitting hairs, but I didn't read anything about an actual bullethole.
              I heard a loud CRACK and saw a spider web in my truck's window.
              repsac didn't mention a bullet hole in his story at all.
              He only mentioned a spider web forming in the glass.
              I would think an actual bullet would have made a hole and shattered the glass, and that might be something he would mention, rather describing it the way he did.
              In fact, he does mention, after the fact, saying he should have realized the actual situation, meaning that it was not an actual semi-automatic handgun firing a live round.

Also, I'm not an expert, but I would think that anyone familiar with guns would know the difference between the sound of an actual semi-automatic gunshot and a pellet gun firing.
              Just saying...
              Last edited by Ree; 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                Also, I'm not an expert, but I would think that anyone familiar with guns would know the difference between the sound of an actual semi-automatic gunshot and a pellet gun firing.
                Just saying...
                But would you know the difference if you were the target?
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
                  I think parents who let their kids have these guns should be shot in the ass repeatedly with a pellet gun from 10 paces. If that's too close, then close enough they feel a lot of pain when the pellet or paint ball hits them in the butt so that they learn never to let their moron children do stupid crap with things that can potentially kill someone if you shoot them at just the right distance or angle.
                  I'm one of those kids who grew up around guns, pellet, paintball, and firearm. I own a pistol now, and keep it on me when the wife and I are out (especially after that incident with the pit bull.) The difference is in the way the kid is brought up. I was brought up with the understanding that drawing a firearm, or worse, a nonlethal weapon like a pellet gun or a paintball gun *WILL* get me killed, and using a firearm unsafely at best Dick Cheneys things up, and at worst, kills someone.

Not every kid who has them is unsafe with them. :-)

Not to go into fratching territory, just pointing out a generalization that seems somewhat unwarranted. :-)
                  Last edited by Midorikawa; 06-25-2010, 11:23 PM.
                  Coworker: Distro of choice?
                  Me: Gentoo.
                  Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

FWIW, I imagine that a gun sounds somewhat different from the "business end" than from behind it. This generally doesn't help with identifying the type, unless you're a soldier.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                      Just saying...
                      Depends... a .22 pistol isn't very loud as far as firearms go, and a gas-powered pellet gun makes quite a bang itself. Yeah, the .22 is still louder, but I'd say it wouldn't be hard to mistake one for the other under the given circumstances.
                      You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Well, as I said, I'm no gun expert and haven't has as much experience around them as repsac, and some of our other members. (All I know is what I've seen in movies.)
                        Was just thinking out loud.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                          Either way, if you're being shot at in the middle of the night the size of the bullet holes in the windshield are not a detail one usually pays attention to.
                          Plus, windshield glass is pretty tough, and treated with a plastic film. Even with a bullet hole in it, it's going to show web-like fractures like repsac described. I know I'd be a little too perturbed to check for a bullet hole in that situation...

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                          Just because it uses air instead of gunpowder does not make it safe.

The only difference between a "toy" air gun and a one of these rifles is the size of the bullet fired and the amount of charge propelling it.
                          It's worth noting that CO2 and black powder have remarkably similar propellant properties. With a big enough gas charge, a paintball gun can be made to shoot .68 caliber ball bearings just as hard as an American Revolution era smoothbore musket. And those were quite effective at killing.

Comment

Add 4 morons to the Jail Population

how much are you paying for the F4? Would be very interested in this, what month was it manufactured? Just like to see how value is holding....I still am considering a trade up to the last Ago in Australia....

There are 2 Sennas for sale on the East Coast that I know of...Mmmmm

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                              Just saying...
                              Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              But would you know the difference if you were the target?
                              It would appear that those who know what they're doing can tell the difference.
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Your training for your permit to carry payed off. You did the right thing, and might have actually have saved those kids lives. I will someday get mine, and I hope I never have to point it at another person to defend myself.
                                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                                X