This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude regular at a bar

I just got a job at a small dive bar. I was warned while training that this one lady was a bit difficult. She's been in twice now. The first time she asked me if my lip piercing was because I was African, and when I said no she said I should take it out. It's a small piercing, and I am clearly american. Then she said "you think it looks cute, but it doesn't". A few minutes later she was asking if the hood system was working because she could smell the food in the bar. It's a small bar, the food is no more than 10 feet away from her through an open door, and who doesn't like to smell food? Today I gave her her total and she told me it was wrong that the total is always 3.75. That's her total without tax. I explained there is tax and she insisted she's never paid tax before. I don't hit a add tax button, the register automatically does it. If don't charge her tax, for one it's illegal, but for another my register would be short later. About 15 minutes later she was asking me what I make at my other job, and how much money my husband makes. "we make a decent living" was not good enough for her, she needed an exact figure! I am not looking forward to the next time she comes in.

Next time she asks you, tell her that personal questions from customers toward staff are frowned upon there and are inappropriate customer behavior. If she persists, have someone else wait on her or take your time if you have no choice but to serve her. Seems the vibe is that all the regular staff know she's a bitch.

Comment

Why doesn't mgmt. lower the banhammer? A customer that regularly aggravates staff isn't worth a piddly little $3.75 sale.

Comment

What a loony. Are these things she does and say before she drinks or after?
        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
        Fiancee: What?!
        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Agree with the "lower the banhammer" idea. Most bars have a sign posted that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". She can't be providing enough profit to justify the aggravation...
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

How to deflect personal questions

There's a great way to make personal questions bounce back at the nosy parker; reply "Why do you want to know that?", then stare straight at the person in silence. Repeat if necessary.

Comment

On the staring; don't stare into their eyes. Stare at the middle of their forehead. Guaranteed to make most people rather nervous.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sec..er, thirded or whatever on the banhammer idea. Even if management doesn't want to because "she hasn't done anything THAT bad", it's often said that the bottom 10% of customers cause 90% of your problems/expenses...

Also, to ! We've and wine and cookies and bacon aplenty, help yourself -- Plus some brain bleach for those times when a SC becomes more , rather than just annoying.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth AngloSaxonViking View Post
                  There's a great way to make personal questions bounce back at the nosy parker; reply "Why do you want to know that?", then stare straight at the person in silence. Repeat if necessary.
                  That's always been my way of dealing with personal questions - a wide-eyed totally innocent confused look, with "why on earth would you want to know that?", usually with a bit of my somewhat lost southern accent thrown in. works wonders.

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

^ I love it. It's so rude to ask a person's salary!
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      ^ I love it. It's so rude to ask a person's salary!
                      I usually say "barely enough to afford the alcohol i have to drink from dealing with assholes like you all day long"
                      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

I love her comment about your piercing. "You think it looks cute, but it doesn't."

Next time she starts telling you what to do, questioning you, or acting like the asshog that she is, just turn those words around on her. "You think you're comments, are cute, but they aren't." Or...."You think you're acting smart, but you're not." Etc., etc.

Or you can go a route that's a bit more direct. "Darling, just remember, I'm the one controlling your alcohol." From experience, I can tell you that that tends to shut them up.

Bartenders are gods. Do not anger the gods.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth rivvy View Post
                          About 15 minutes later she was asking me what I make at my other job, and how much money my husband makes. "we make a decent living" was not good enough for her, she needed an exact figure!
                          So give her an exact figure. It doesn't have to be the correct figure. Be creative and have some fun with. Cite a figure in pounds, euros, yen or galleons. And be sure to change it every time she asks about it.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            So give her an exact figure.
                            Firkins fer furlong.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

"we make a decent living" was not good enough for her, she needed an exact figure! I am not looking forward to the next time she comes in.
                              you have every right to tell her "that's personal" and refuse to answer. really it's none of her fucking business, even if she wants to try making it so

and... is it bad that I originally read this as "nude regular at a bar"?

Comment

Working...
                              X