Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Closing Chronicles (aka GTFO) Storytime!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Closing Chronicles (aka GTFO) Storytime!

YESSSS! Next round of stories! Is time for "Closing Chronicles" episode!

I've noticed that the people who "hangout" in the store at/after closing fall into these categories:

a) Have no intention of purchasing anything, they are just wasting time.
    b) Have already made their purchases and are just wandering around.
    c) Are people who are going to spend so little, it's not cost effective to pay overtime.
    d) Troll

You are clearly racist towards trolls. Apologize immediately!

- The Campaign for Equal Heights

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
      You are clearly racist towards trolls. Apologize immediately!

- The Campaign for Equal Heights
      I never said anything about trolls. Merely that they stop by my store before they go home to their bridge at night.

Comment

Yeah, most are either A or C, at my store at least. I remember these two women pretty clearly, from a while ago. I remember thinking they looked like classic housewives. Nowhere to be, yet all decked out in jewelry and makeup. (we are casual here in the Northwest, these two stood out like whoa) They were looking at home dec samples. As in, the kind you pay a deposit to check out, take home, and see if it looks good in your house. They had been told multiple times that we were CLOSED. Finally I told them that we were going to close the registers, so they needed to go up to pay. The response? "Oh, we're not buying anything today, so that's fine!"

I've heard that once the police had to be called. I wasn't working there at the time, but the story goes that the person claimed that since we're a store we can't legally kick him out. The nice police man disagreed. Seriously, where do people get these "laws" from?
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          Seriously, where do people get these "laws" from?
          Same place my cat gets the stuff that goes in the sandbox . . .

Comment

Wow, even public places like government run parks close at certain times. I wonder what kind of legal wrangling he did in his wee little special snowflake brain to get to that conclusion about private property.

Comment

I used to work at a hardware store and you'd see some pretty ridiculous stuff close to closing time. People who come in at like 10 to and are still in plumbing with the guy there at 10 after because they need a new bathroom vanity NAO! What the hell happened? Were they brushing their teeth getting ready for bed and BAM their present vanity self destructed into a pile of sawdust???

Comment

We frequently have people who are unemployed (either retired or on disability) wait until 5 minutes before close to come into the bank to buy a bunch of money orders (which take the tellers a while to do), when they must have had all day free. It's not like they were working!
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  We frequently have people who are unemployed (either retired or on disability) wait until 5 minutes before close to come into the bank to buy a bunch of money orders (which take the tellers a while to do), when they must have had all day free. It's not like they were working!

Hey - it's a lot of effort for someone to wake up before 4pm. It's not like they're in the army.

Comment

I'd love to be able to charge them per minute the store is open past closing time.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                      I'd love to be able to charge them per minute the store is open past closing time.
                      I'd love to shut the door in their face and tell them to come back when we reopen...

Comment

Closing time is a good time for scammers. They figure you'll let them get away with anything just so you can finally leave.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Closing time is a good time for scammers. They figure you'll let them get away with anything just so you can finally leave.
                          That or you're so busy with other things they can shoplift easier...
                          Last edited by eltf177; 10-03-2015, 05:52 PM.

Comment

When I was working downtown at a shop that attracted a lot of tourists I was constantly stuck waiting for tourists to GTFO so I could go home. Our boss didn't want us to push the people out at closing time but she also didn't want to pay us past closing time either. I got to the point where I'd lock the doors about five minutes before closing and started making closing announcements about half-hour prior to closing to get people out. More than once I did round people up and tell them that our registers went down about ten minutes after closing time...yes, it was bogus, but they didn't know that.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                              Our boss didn't want us to push the people out at closing time but she also didn't want to pay us past closing time either.
                              Anyone else see the logical inconsistency in this statement?

Management will either write you up for "not being customer oriented" or write you up for "unauthorized" overtime - the staff just can't win...

Comment

Working...
                              X